FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil Mix

will do, should I also add calmag? also, our Tap water has a ph of almost 8, would I want to adjust?
no. add nothing. just tap water. The only reason we adjust our pH is so that our nutes can be in the proper ph range so the individual nutrients can break free of their salt chelation bonds. You are flushing all the nutes away. There is no need to worry about pH. The plants don't care. The soil doesnt care. Any microbes or fungi in there don't care. Next watering, when you add your nutrients again, and the plain water watering after that, yes, adjust the pH.

Your question makes it seem that you feel a need to supply calmag, all the time. This could be part of the problem. Magnesium is a funny element that could easily be added to the soil in the amounts needed for a grow, but it is not. The problem is, if the soil manufacturers did that, that amount of magnesium would lock out several other vital minerals. Calmag should only be used when the plant shows you a real need for it, and it should not be applied preventively. Some of it is in the soil and some comes in the water if you use tap water and it doesn't always need to be supplemented. At any rate, the flush will take care of this if it has become a problem. This is about the perfect time to flush anyway, it clears the pipes for massive water and nutrient uptake in the last couple of weeks, and gives you a spectacular finish with lots of bud swell.

I just put a piece of black carbon filter (like an a/c filter) over the intake ducts and use the carbon filter for the exhaust. Unless the air outside your tent is REALLY dirty you shouldn't need a can filter on your intake.

The best way to control smell is to mount the filter inside the tent and use your fan to pull air through the filter and out the door. Usually I like to mount the fan directly onto the filter and then out the window from there. For my input I just put a simple bug screen at the bottom of the fan.
output
output.JPG
input
input.JPG

The best way to control smell is to mount the filter inside the tent and use your fan to pull air through the filter and out the door. Usually I like to mount the fan directly onto the filter and then out the window from there. For my input I just put a simple bug screen at the bottom of the fan.
output
output.JPG
input
input.JPG
So I added the second filter on the exhaust and all the smells went away in an hour !!! happy wife now, so i'm happy

ok, the smell is getting worse, the filter still lets a skunk smell out. Has anyone ever put a filter on the exhaust side of the fan as well (2 filters)

Possibilities are: Filter inadequate capacity for exhaust fan (fan moving air through filter at too high a rate), filter "used up," unfiltered air somehow able to bypass filter (leak(s) in grow tent, etc.).

No, I would not run two carbon filters on one exhaust fan. Instead, I would get ONE filter that has an airflow capacity that (more than) matches the highest airflow rate my exhaust fan would be moving air at. And check for leaks, of course.

Probably the first thing I would have done - after looking for a hole somewhere - would have been to turn the fan speed down and see if that helped; regardless of whether it led to elevated temperatures, it would have told me something... if that stopped the odor, I would have known to either not "overrun" my filter - or, if I then determined that conditions required a higher airflow rate, I would have bought a larger capacity filter. <SHRUGS> Or a better one, if my current one was an el cheapo brand of questionable quality.

Multiple exhaust filters, IMHO, are for medium-sized (commercial grows larger than a grow tent or single room, but smaller than warehouse) grows. >100 square foot spaces.

On one hand, the impulse is to state "...but whatever works for you, works." On the other hand, however, is the opinion that you've simply stuck a band aid on your problem, rather than solving the issue - and that a band aid is best used for one's finger ;) . If you were overrunning your carbon filter and the additional filter caused enough of a restriction to have slowed the airflow... well, that might cause issues over time if the fan's motor starts running hot. If your (original, single) filter was nearing the end of its service life - but still providing some benefit - and you added a filter instead of replacing it, as your old filter continues to decline, you may discover that your new filter is not adequate to handle the odor load all by itself (buy a third filter, lol?). Et cetera.

Get ONE good exhaust filter, matched to your fan.

Possibilities are: Filter inadequate capacity for exhaust fan (fan moving air through filter at too high a rate), filter "used up," unfiltered air somehow able to bypass filter (leak(s) in grow tent, etc.).

No, I would not run two carbon filters on one exhaust fan. Instead, I would get ONE filter that has an airflow capacity that (more than) matches the highest airflow rate my exhaust fan would be moving air at. And check for leaks, of course.

Probably the first thing I would have done - after looking for a hole somewhere - would have been to turn the fan speed down and see if that helped; regardless of whether it led to elevated temperatures, it would have told me something... if that stopped the odor, I would have known to either not "overrun" my filter - or, if I then determined that conditions required a higher airflow rate, I would have bought a larger capacity filter. <SHRUGS> Or a better one, if my current one was an el cheapo brand of questionable quality.

Multiple exhaust filters, IMHO, are for medium-sized (commercial grows larger than a grow tent or single room, but smaller than warehouse) grows. >100 square foot spaces.

On one hand, the impulse is to state "...but whatever works for you, works." On the other hand, however, is the opinion that you've simply stuck a band aid on your problem, rather than solving the issue - and that a band aid is best used for one's finger ;) . If you were overrunning your carbon filter and the additional filter caused enough of a restriction to have slowed the airflow... well, that might cause issues over time if the fan's motor starts running hot. If your (original, single) filter was nearing the end of its service life - but still providing some benefit - and you added a filter instead of replacing it, as your old filter continues to decline, you may discover that your new filter is not adequate to handle the odor load all by itself (buy a third filter, lol?). Et cetera.

I had only 1 grow with 1 autoflower plant with the filter I have. I only have 2 similar plants this time. My first thought was that my air velocity was too high, adjusting that didn't help. My next thought was the filter was bad or cheap so I bought a new (different one)... that couldn't control the smell either. Putting the old filter on the exhaust was a perfect fix since I had the filter available and I only have ~2 weeks longer to grow and I don't plan on grow more for a while (I have more then I need). Today I harvested one of them so should be clear sailing from here

There is a thread on here about making your own filter. What are your thoughts on that? Being able to change charcoal when needed seems kinda convenient to me. I ask because I am looking to upgrade my ventilation system. Thanks.

NTH

There is a thread on here about making your own filter. What are your thoughts on that? Being able to change charcoal when needed seems kinda convenient to me. I ask because I am looking to upgrade my ventilation system. Thanks.

NTH
There are several threads on making our own filter and several on how to go about cleaning the charcoal in a filter that has reached the point where it does not filter as well as it should.

Taking care of a used filter does involve time. It has to be taken apart and the used charcoal heated up to be cleaned. Some charcoal is lost/disappears so replacement charcoal has to be found. The cleaning process does smell and give off some smoke if I remember. Up to the grower to decide whether it is easier to spend the time rebuilding a filter or going to work for an extra hour a week for several weeks.;)

I do have a used filter sitting around just in case I decide to give it a try one day.

There are several threads on making our own filter and several on how to go about cleaning the charcoal in a filter that has reached the point where it does not filter as well as it should.

Taking care of a used filter does involve time. It has to be taken apart and the used charcoal heated up to be cleaned. Some charcoal is lost/disappears so replacement charcoal has to be found. The cleaning process does smell and give off some smoke if I remember. Up to the grower to decide whether it is easier to spend the time rebuilding a filter or going to work for an extra hour a week for several weeks.;)

I do have a used filter sitting around just in case I decide to give it a try one day.
Great point. For some reason I thought the fans and filters were pricier than they are. I have no problem dropping 200 a year on a new fan and filter. Haha. Thanks for the help.

NTH

For some reason I thought the fans and filters were pricier than they are. I have no problem dropping 200 a year on a new fan and filter.
The fan should last longer than the filter. Long enough that it might wear out several charcoal filters before it has to be replaced. Only got to replace the filter which means even less time spent at work making the money needed.:)

I have not had to replace a fan for the last 10 years, and I definitely can vouch for the longevity of the Vortex fans that I use. My big 3' can filters have been cleaned and reused about 3 times now (I have 2) and I see no need to ever buy another filter now that I know how to clean and reactivate the 16 pounds of charcoal in the units.

Cleaning is actually pretty easy. Drill out the rivets and dump the used charcoal into a 5 or 10 gallon bucket. Using the garden hose, slowly fill the bucket with water and stir. Watch out for the high heat and the thick yellow smoke that comes out of the charcoal, and keep adding water as needed until the reaction stops. Your charcoal is now cleaned, but needs to be re-activated. Use a 500 degree BBQ grill to get the charcoal up to temperature and to expel the water. When the very tips of the charcoal are turning to ash, you are done. Shake off any ash, and you will lose about 5% of the charcoal. Purchase a bag of replacement pellets and use that to fill and shake, fill and shake, until you can get the filter fully filled up again. Reseal the unit, and expect another year of heavy use from your old filter.

Now remember that when you feed, you are feeding for two watering cycles, that one, and the next one where you give only pH adjusted water. It seems like you are feeding a lot, and you are, by design.

You need to get one, asap. Nutes are locked up in a chelated salt bond so that they can be shipped to you in the bottle. They are scientifically designed to stay inert in the bottle so they don't interact with each other, and then break apart and become available to the plant when they get into an environment controlled to a narrow pH range, in soil 6.2-6.8 pH. It is critical to have your fluids in that range when they hit the soil, and also on the water only pass, or some of your nutes will be totally invisible to your plants. Soil is designed to slowly raise the pH after you water, so if you come in at the low end of this range, the pH will slowly rise up through the range, keeping the nutes available the entire time.
Hey Guys & Gals :) i’m getting a lot of great info just from reading your guys conversation with each other but I had one question I wanted to double check with you guys on, what do you mean remember you are feeding for two watering cycles? Do you mean you are putting double the amount of nutes it says on the chart during one watering? @Emilya Green

Another one of my concerns is should I use the full amount of nutrients as directed on the chart because I do not want my plant to get burned and I heard from somebody else to start off with half the amount? Whats you opinion @Emilya Green

Another one of my concerns is should I use the full amount of nutrients as directed on the chart because I do not want my plant to get burned and I heard from somebody else to start off with half the amount? Whats you opinion @Emilya Green
If I’m not mistaken she always said if they say 100% then use it.

...what do you mean remember you are feeding for two watering cycles?
Generally what it means is that the watering schedule is water with fertilizer and then wait until the next watering and water without adding any fertilizer. Most the time the schedule and the feeding chart are based on the grower watering at least twice in a week. The next week repeat with water and fertilizer and then just water several days later.

If you notice that you only need to water once a week then there is a good chance that the pot is too large for the size or age of the plant. Also, most likely there is still fertilizer in the soil so adding more fertilizer even though it is a new week could be an overdose since the previous weeks fertilizer is still available. At the same time if the soil dries out within a day or two meaning that the average week involves 3 waterings then the container is to small. Same thing about fertilizer...do not mix in the nutrients for that 3rd watering. One dose of fertilizer a week unless the company that made the nutrient mix recommends more or less.

Try not to give more fertilizer than the chart recommends unless you feel comfortable doing it.

Back
Top Bottom