FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil Mix

If you are happy with a small plant, you can go 3-4 weeks before the plant begins to look for more nutrients, but if you want to use the nutrients for their original and intended purpose, as fertilizer, you can go for bigger plants by starting to push your plants as early as possible. There are no rules regarding this, and it is totally up to you when you start this push, and most nute companies include suggested dosages for even young seedlings... even in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.

Using FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil Mix. When will the new seedling require nutrients?
You are good for a couple of weeks. After that you will have to start some sort of fertilizing schedule just like it says on the back of the bag of the soil and on the web page for Ocean Forest. As Emilya mentions it is up to you when to start but the longer you wait the greater the chance that you will notice odd colors on the leaves as a sign that the plant is showing a deficiency.

Since you did it right and asked early instead of waiting until problems showed up you have the time to do some quick research on what fertilizers to use and made by what company and all the other tidbits of info. Look at some of the journals which were about plants grown in soil and see what those guys and gals used. Take a look at some of the general threads about nutrients for soil use. Look at threads where another grower suddenly has problem showing up and is looking for info on what to use.

There is nothing forcing you to use the Fox Farms line of fertilizers but their 3 basic liquid fertilizers are inexpensive, will last for several grows of several plants, and are easy to use. The company has a schedule which is easy to follow. They answer their phone if you want help getting the answer to questions.

If going with some other company be sure that they have a schedule available on their web site, or printed and available at the store.

It is easier to do the research now instead of waiting till your back is against the wall. Wait till later and suddenly the problems will sometimes spread faster than most of us can figure out what is going wrong.

You are good for a couple of weeks. After that you will have to start some sort of fertilizing schedule just like it says on the back of the bag of the soil and on the web page for Ocean Forest. As Emilya mentions it is up to you when to start but the longer you wait the greater the chance that you will notice odd colors on the leaves as a sign that the plant is showing a deficiency.

Since you did it right and asked early instead of waiting until problems showed up you have the time to do some quick research on what fertilizers to use and made by what company and all the other tidbits of info. Look at some of the journals which were about plants grown in soil and see what those guys and gals used. Take a look at some of the general threads about nutrients for soil use. Look at threads where another grower suddenly has problem showing up and is looking for info on what to use.

There is nothing forcing you to use the Fox Farms line of fertilizers but their 3 basic liquid fertilizers are inexpensive, will last for several grows of several plants, and are easy to use. The company has a schedule which is easy to follow. They answer their phone if you want help getting the answer to questions.

If going with some other company be sure that they have a schedule available on their web site, or printed and available at the store.

It is easier to do the research now instead of waiting till your back is against the wall. Wait till later and suddenly the problems will sometimes spread faster than most of us can figure out what is going wrong.
thank you very much. I actually have Foxfarm's Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom nutrients

Here's a quick question - If I am trying to grow in organic style using worm castings, pro mix myccorhalize and top soil does fertilizing with an organic fertilizer sort of short circuit the plan??? Or am I best to stay with just the mixture??
A couple in the ground and some in laundry tubs.
Asking for a friend.....

If the soil is mixed/cooked correctly you won't need cal-mag or the fox farm nutes. Of the three nutes you have, only Big Bloom is organic, which would be OK (bush doctor is also organic). If you start mixing organic and non organic nutes you may be heading for problems. I don't grow organic, but making organic soil is more than just dumping ingredients together, you have to mix them and let them "cook" for a while to start releasing some of the nutrients. There are plenty of good soil recipes for organic growing. Fox Farms does have a line of organic nutrients.

Here's a quick question - If I am trying to grow in organic style using worm castings, pro mix myccorhalize and top soil does fertilizing with an organic fertilizer sort of short circuit the plan??? Or am I best to stay with just the mixture??
A couple in the ground and some in laundry tubs.
Asking for a friend.....
The couple in the ground are probably OK as is.

The 'some' in the laundry tubs might need some help along the way. The roots cannot explore and grow into new soil; they are limited to what is in the tubs in the way of nutrients and water. My suggestion for your friend is to be prepared to supplement with some sort of nutrient program.

...does fertilizing with an organic fertilizer sort of short circuit the plan???
No, it does not. Make any additional nutrients part of the plan.

,A week ago,( up in msg #3), I mentioned that the Fox Farms company has an easy to use schedule. Go to their web site and pick up a copy.
I just checked and noticed that the Bush Doctor is not listed in the "Soil" schedule so you will have to use the info that is probably on the back of the bottle.

If using something else other than the Fox Farms product the info should still be listed on the back of the bottle or package.

If you are happy with a small plant, you can go 3-4 weeks before the plant begins to look for more nutrients, but if you want to use the nutrients for their original and intended purpose, as fertilizer, you can go for bigger plants by starting to push your plants as early as possible. There are no rules regarding this, and it is totally up to you when you start this push, and most nute companies include suggested dosages for even young seedlings... even in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.
I transplanted from peat pellets to a 4x4 pot to 3 gall pot. Started fertilizing week 2. Plant look very happy, thanks for your help. oh, calmag started week 4. I'm in week 5 right now

275779281_334240055184480_8448029973129438652_n.jpg

I transplanted from peat pellets to a 4x4 pot to 3 gall pot. Started fertilizing week 2. Plant look very happy, thanks for your help. oh, calmag started week 4. I'm in week 5 right now

275779281_334240055184480_8448029973129438652_n.jpg
Looking good, but I have to ask: Did you have signs of magnesium deficiency? Calmag should only be supplemented when it is needed... extra magnesium can build up in the soil, causing other problems. That being said, if your conditions are causing a magnesium shortage, ie, LED lights and RO water, once you see signs of magnesium deficiency it is probably needed at a maintenance level for the rest of the life of the plant.

Looking good, but I have to ask: Did you have signs of magnesium deficiency? Calmag should only be supplemented when it is needed... extra magnesium can build up in the soil, causing other problems. That being said, if your conditions are causing a magnesium shortage, ie, LED lights and RO water, once you see signs of magnesium deficiency it is probably needed at a maintenance level for the rest of the life of the plant.
i am a complete novice.. I thought I needed to add calmag as routine. How do LED lights factor in?

i am a complete novice.. I thought I needed to add calmag as routine. How do LED lights factor in?
LED provides a very focused light, right in the frequencies that plants use to process light, so they are way more efficient than traditional lights in supplying energy to the plant. More energy provides for more photosynthesis, and therefore more nutrient needs.

Lots of magnesium comes along in our tap water, but RO filtering removes it... making it more likely that a magnesium deficiency will be seen during the grow.

The first cannabis plant in the photographs appears to have a magnesium deficiency evident by the upward inward curled "cupped" leaf edges.

The second cannabis plant appears over watered evident by the heavy weighted down appearance of the fan leaves.

The first cannabis plant in the photographs appears to have a magnesium deficiency evident by the upward inward curled "cupped" leaf edges.

The second cannabis plant appears over watered evident by the heavy weighted down appearance of the fan leaves.
over watering I can see and will be morer careful, as for the magnesium, I have been adding cal-mag to the water along with nutes. That being said could it be any other possibility??

over watering I can see and will be morer careful, as for the magnesium, I have been adding cal-mag to the water along with nutes. That being said could it be any other possibility??
I see no signs of magnesium deficiency. The cupped leaves are simply another sign of overwatering. Have you read my article about watering that is linked in my signature lines? In that thread I explain the concept of the wet/dry cycle and how to use it to monitor the health of your plant, as well as how to avoid overwatering by watering too often. Let those lower roots dry out each time between waterings and your plants will be doing fantastically.

interesting, two seeds that are supposed to be the same but look quite different
That being said could it be any other possibility??
Another possibility as to why the two plants do not look the same?

There is no guarantee that the two seeds are exactly the same. Each could have come from a different female plant. Two different male plants could have produced the pollen.

Even 'identical twins' are not identical in every aspect. One might be taller, one might have light brown hair and the other dark brown.

Evolution does not look kindly on a specie producing offspring that are exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom