Rookie move

I'm feeling a great vibe from you guys! What I was thinking g my problem would be is that my ceiling is 8 foot and if you gravity drain from the tubs or buckets you have the plants in, back to the reservoir, the tub or buckets would have to be a couple feet off of the ground (floor). Now, with a 1000 watt bulb, the plants have to stay at least 18 inches from them. Then you calculate the depth (how tall the light fixture is) of the light...well I did the math and its only going to allow the plants to get 2.5 to 3.5 feet tall. Is that making sense? Now I have ALWAYS topped my plants outdoors and I plan on doing the same indoors. I have always had good luck with it and its never bit me in the ass. What are your guys thoughts on this? I'm just concerned that the plants, nearing harvest, will be getting dangerously close to the light.

I see what you're saying. You're right that will give you an average of 3' of grow space. Well trained plants will have no issue finishing under 3.5' and still yield a lot of dense and sticky. BUT that means your plants will be bushes, very wide (assuming you're planning to veg for a good while). Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a flood tray drain system? I thought flood trays were best used for a big number of small plants/cuttings to be grown as a Sea of Green thing? There's a good chance I could be wrong but that's what I assumed after seeing how the setup functions. Now because you're limited to number of plants, you don't want a sea of green. You want bigger plants, with screens maybe? Have you considered this? or are you planning to go with 25 small plants fast for the first grow to up your budget and move on to 25 large girls? You really have so many options. For an initial fundraiser grow you can do a small area grow of smaller plants and leave all the buying for when you need to set up the whole room. I don't know if I'm making sense because I just smoked a fattie, but to me it seems that you want this first grow to pass and then get serious with the setup << Which is a great idea, you have a nice room it's very much worth doing right :) You'll be growing trees in fully automated systems next grow, take it easy on this one. A soilless mix with some good ol' BPN will do wonder for an initial investment (very affordable). Happy growing man :tokin:

Well Wiz, I checked on the dwc and its so easy and affordable I personally think itsy best bet. Especially considering the cash I'm about to put out for so.e better lights, fixtures, and ballasts. Thanks for the advice and ideas. :thumb:
Smokes, you're totally right on man. Stoned or not you made perfect sense to me. I think I'm going to start drawing it up, mapping it out and getting my assuming to work. In a couple months, I'll be starting my journal and I'll be looking forward to any feed back you or Wiz are willing to give me. Thanks again guys!:allgood:

I suggest you check out Cultivators grow journal. He does DWC and great at it. He has videos up talking about the best products to use and how to keep the res and roots clean. He's in my friends list check him out. I always send members to his journal that's planning on doing hydro DWC. Sticking close to his journal before you start your grow will be the best thing. You will really learn alot so that way you won't mess up your grow and won't waste money on certain products.

Oh, awesome! I'll go check one out now. This is all very good stuff man.

I'll tell you another one that my cousin did.
We had a small outdoor going on (something like 12 plants each and there was three of us). We all had our own little grow spots but they were all located fairly close together. Well, my cousin had been involved with a HUGE indoor operation for a few years and was doing this for a side project. My other cousin and I were doing it for experience. Anyway, we were all going down to this spot everyday for weeks on end until my cousin got tired of hiking the mountain. So he decided to run a small drip line to his plants. When the valve was on the drip line would get cut off but when we closed it the drip line would start back up. We had problems with the water line several times and I knew it wasn't a good idea for him to leave them without attention but he was the older of us all and had, by far, the most experience. Well one day we water our plants and it had been a few days since my cousin had been down to see his. A few days later we all went down there to take a look at them. My cousins drip line was set too high and it drowned the plants. They were bent over and not looking good at all. They ended up surviving but they didn't do very well in the end. The moral to this is that even though you don't want to mess with your girls too often, you can't get lazy and not tend to them. The one time you think all will be good and you go camping is the time when you will come back to find SOMETHING has gone very wrong. Growing takes patience, self control, and most of all perseverance. You got to be dedicated or you're just fooling yourself. And remember, my cousin "knew what he was doing". This is a learning business. You will never know it all.

Oh man! That is definitely a rookie move! That's a good one to post. Its easy to think that ventilation isn't NECESSARY and I'm sure you're not the only person that has pulled that one before. That's what its all about, live and learn.

Safety tip! And a damn good one. Its like skiing without shades man...

Safety tip! And a damn good one. Its like skiing without shades man...

Indeed a very important safety tip.

I found out the hard way !

Being a diabetic i have my eyes tested for diabetic retinopathy once a year & require eye drops to dilate the pupil for a little photo, infact arc eye shows up in these photos !!!

Only been growing a year & on average enter the grow area 3 times week... did not take long to damage the eyes.

Back
Top Bottom