Root problems?

Jamalsansquatch

420 Member
Hi all, first time grower, new to this site. I'm usually more of a hang back in the shadows and observe kinda person than a joinerina...but I've searched endlessly for the answers to my questions with no luck so any help would be much appreciated!
First grow as I said, using top fed dwc/bubbleponics. Clay balls and rooter cubes. Have two plants, purple moby dick, both started off fantastic, then about 3 weeks in I had some root issues. Brown, matted together, u know the drill.
I used UC roots to clean up a bit then just over 24 hours later I added bennies. Kept my temps down, checked for light leaks. After some somewhat slower growth they took off again. From the top they appear fine, not great, but better than I expected for my first time. The problem is below...I have no root system cascading out of the pots like i see on every other grow. I mean it's a number one cut down there. The base of the pot is covered by roots only about 5mm long jutting out of the holes. To be clear, there wasn't actually all that much before my issue, I trimmed off the rotted stuff and small white ones appeared not long after but that's where they stayed. I'm now 7 weeks in, plants appear healthy enough apart from that. I haven't stopped top feeding as the roots never grew to the water below. I haven't been able to find anything even resembling my situation after over a months worth of research. My question is...will they make it through flower with so little root system?

Few details
Using general hydro trio plus call mag
Ph has been 5.6 to 6.2 throughout grow
T5 growlush cfl 2700k plus blue red led
Except for a few random hot days have kept the temps in good range
Change reservoir every 10 days
Sizeable air stone
Started using rock supercharge a week ago no obvious difference as yet.
I think that's all...feel like I forgot something but that's the bones of it if anyone has any ideas....

Pics always help

I've trimmed roots and they did fine

But root rot, if that's what it is, dosent just go away unless u make it

Sooooooooooo

Pics

And get an enzyme cleaner like Hydroguard or z7

I use GH Flora Trio Nutes myself...only root issues was caused by light getting in my system from orange bucket lids

Do you have any pictures of your roots? I’m not a hydro guy but I’ve learned Z7/Z9 helps a lot.

I’ll tag the guys I would ask if I was running hydro. Good luck

@West Hippie @TurboBucket

Usually the top feed gets shut off after a couple of weeks. It helps encourage them to grow out of the pot and down into the bucket. It could also be the cause of your rot.

You can sterilize with hydrogen peroxide before you refill but it will kill everything not just the goo.

Pics always help

I've trimmed roots and they did fine

But root rot, if that's what it is, dosent just go away unless u make it

Sooooooooooo

Pics

And get an enzyme cleaner like Hydroguard or z7

I use GH Flora Trio Nutes myself...only root issues was caused by light getting in my system from orange bucket lids

I'll take a pic as soon as I can, waiting for lights to come on. I thought uc roots would kill the rot then I put great white in once I figured the uc would be gone. It's hard to find hydroguard here, I'm in Australia. Been looking for a good substitute.Ive got a few products on the way...au 60 root repair, canna rhizotonic and sensizym advanced nutrients. Have u any experience with any of these?

Do you have any pictures of your roots? I’m not a hydro guy but I’ve learned Z7/Z9 helps a lot.

I’ll tag the guys I would ask if I was running hydro. Good luck

@West Hippie @TurboBucket

Will update with pics asap. Ive never heard of that, will look it up. My guess is it will be hard for me to come b tho, I'm in rural Aust. Thanks for the help :)

Usually the top feed gets shut off after a couple of weeks. It helps encourage them to grow out of the pot and down into the bucket. It could also be the cause of your rot.

You can sterilize with hydrogen peroxide before you refill but it will kill everything not just the goo.

Thanks for the info, I never considered to stop feeding before the roots were immersed. Is it too late now to try that u think?

Back
Top Bottom