Sad seedlings: 1st time grower

matttimo

420 Member
Hi guys,

Please help me here. My seedlings look very sad. Of 6 seedlings, 4 of them look sad.

Equipment: Bonanza Grow Box 1m2
Lights: 2x San light Q4W
Medium: BioBizz Coco Mix
Nutrients: BioBizz
Aged: 11 days old

Is this a sign of overwatering? What can be done to fix this? I am worried this is a very bad sign.

123.jpg

456.jpg

I wouldn’t be too worried. Kind of hard to overwater in coco. How often are you watering?

Good morning,

I water once every day, sometimes twice. Trying to keep it at a minimum but at the same time, Coco needs to be moist all the time and cannot be allowed to dry out.

But they do look very sad :( Hopefully you are right that it is nothing to worry about.

‘Sad’ because the leaves are curved down, you mean?

The purple stems would worry me a little more- though that’s often just normal genetics. Sometimes it relates to nutrient issues.
Do you monitor ph?

‘Sad’ because the leaves are curved down, you mean?

The purple stems would worry me a little more- though that’s often just normal genetics. Sometimes it relates to nutrient issues.
Do you monitor ph?

Yes, they are bended downwards. Like a sad face.

I recently started with nutrients. I monitor PH too. I have not given them Cal Mag since I first flushed the Coco. Will use Cal Mag this week again I think.

Not sure why you’d have to flush the coco?

Good idea to add calmag. Not sure if Biobizz provides a source of cal/mag in their other products you’re feeding with, but in my experience with coco you definitely need a source of it or you will have deficiencies pretty quickly.

I think you’ll be fine doing as you’re doing. :thumb:

Not sure why you’d have to flush the coco?

Good idea to add calmag. Not sure if Biobizz provides a source of cal/mag in their other products you’re feeding with, but in my experience with coco you definitely need a source of it or you will have deficiencies pretty quickly.

I think you’ll be fine doing as you’re doing. :thumb:

Haha newbie mistake. I thought it was a good idea to flush with some Cal Mag to make the seeds feel better. I have the BioBizz nutrients line but use Cal Mag from Advanced Nutrients, Sensei. I read their Cal Mag is quite strong and I rather underuse it instead of burning my babies :D

Thanks. They look fine except their sad faces :p Still around 10 weeks to go. Maybe they look happier later on.

Googled it. It’s 4% nitrogen so you could overfeed a young seedling with that N content, I guess, if you worked at it. Do a little research and follow the recommendations, going on the light side generally. Don’t just throw stuff in there randomly.

If you want to feed more lightly with calmag- water it down. But still use it every time, not just once in a week or two, or whatever you’re doing now.

If you soaked the coco with calmag at the sprout stage it could slow them a little because they don’t need much N at that stage, but if so they’ll grow through it.

Don’t worry about the sad face thing -they are plants they don’t have faces....

Googled it. It’s 4% nitrogen so you could overfeed a young seedling with that N content, if you worked at it. Do a little research and follow the recommendations, going on the light side generally. Don’t just throw stuff in there randomly.

If you want to feed more lightly with calmag- water it down. But still use it every time, not just once in a week or two, or whatever you’re doing now.

If you soaked the coco with calmag at the sprout stage it could slow them a little because they don’t need much N at that stage, but if so they’ll grow through it.

Don’t worry about the sad face thing -they are plants they don’t have faces....

Thank you for your advice. I soaked the Coco with very little Cal Mag. My babies are growing really, really fast. Within 3 days from germination they already had their Cotydelons and were on their true leaves etc.

Will try and get Cal Mag in every watering. Just minimize the amount.

It is really unhealthy to grow weed. I am looking into them multiple times a day to make sure they feel good and as soon as I see any change I get nervous and paranoid haha

Sounds like they’re fine.

Re the calmag- just follow the Biobizz schedule recommendations for coco, but always stay on the light side to start. You can always increase feeding if it seems too light- but it’s impossible to repair burnt plants when you have fed to much.

Like I said - maybe they provide calcium/magnesium in some of their other bottles, in which case you don’t need the calmag. But I’m too lazy to research that right now. :)

Don’t worry too much!

Just minimize the amount.

Just to be clear - with dissolved nutrients- it’s all about the concentration. It’s not really about the amount of liquid mix you feed the plant - it’s about how strong that mix is.

The aim is usually to saturate the container with the nutrient mix.

If you’re feeding a plant lightly then use a weak concentration. If you’re feeding heavily- it’s a strong concentration. But either way you are trying to saturate the pot- so for the same pot size you will be using about the same amount of liquid either way. Know what I mean?

Bedtime for me. Good luck
:thumb:

Did you Buffer your coco , i did this mistake like a fool just this week past ,i forgot to check the bag as it was a different brand , ,i read the bag it said "washed not buffered" i thought it said washed and buffered my seedlings went yellow like this , exactly the same

they are on the mend after a day , i ran a load of ph-ed water with small amount of nutes , just a tiny bit , your plants are eating themselves , by the looks of it with a higher ph
It might and might not be the same issue
IGNNORE THE LEAVES FROM TRIMMING IN THE POTS LOL

:goodluck: The two top seedlings the other two i put in a PEAT MIX :thumb:
P1100919.JPG

Just to be clear - with dissolved nutrients- it’s all about the concentration. It’s not really about the amount of liquid mix you feed the plant - it’s about how strong that mix is.

The aim is usually to saturate the container with the nutrient mix.

If you’re feeding a plant lightly then use a weak concentration. If you’re feeding heavily- it’s a strong concentration. But either way you are trying to saturate the pot- so for the same pot size you will be using about the same amount of liquid either way. Know what I mean?

Bedtime for me. Good luck
:thumb:

I think I understand what you mean. I am following BioBizz feeding schedule. According to their feeding chart I should give them 4ml/ liter root juice weekly.

I cut 4ml in half to 2ml/liter because I am introducing them to nutrients. And then I divided 2ml with 7 because I will water them every day. Per liter I use 0.28ml of Root Juice. I did the same math with the other nutrients I am starting with according to the feeding chart. I do not water them with one liter but I make sure they do not dry out and I water once every day.

I’m not so sure about that math of yours. See my post above about nutrient concentration. A plant that’s fed daily doesn’t get 1/7th of the dosage of a plant that’s fed every seven days.
I’ll look up the Biobizz schedule when I get a minute.

Please do. I attach the feeding chart I follow here as well.

I understand it as if I need to divide it for multiple days. 7ml concentration of water for one week, means 1ml of concentrated water every day. I am not sure at all anymore though haha

biobizz-light-coco-mix-grow-chart.jpg

Yeah that’s the one I saw just now too. Your dividing by seven thing is not what they had in mind. They’re assuming that you feed that amount every time.

As to whether you should actually make your feedings that strong - like I said it’s safer to start light and go from there.

I haven’t used Biobizz stuff. For me to actually dissect what’s in all those different bottles To determine how much to use would be more than I have time for.

But basically I’d feed half of that recommended strength (every time) and see how that goes first. You may be able to go full strength - you may not. Do some googling re other people’s experiences with that brand.
There’s a long thread called ‘how to feed in coco’.
Edit- here. How to grow in Coco: Feed schedule

Maybe @NuttyProfessor has some thoughts.

OK I googled the bio heaven stuff. I guess that’s where the secret lies. At $89.95 for a litre, it must be pretty heavenly. It has 1% nitrogen and all the micro nutrients as well as calcium and magnesium. So I’m guessing that Calmag is unnecessary especially since it doesn’t feature on their feeding schedule

I giggled it out of curiosity, interwebz sez root juice is humic acid and premium seaweed, we will have none of that regular seaweed shite mind you.... they indicate how much a whole pallet of bottles weigh but no NPK data is given, which is about as useful as tits on a boar hog...
:rofl: , i agree ...........as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike
I use flora nova grow and bloom , never any problems use the grow for 3 weeks then bloom the rest as i do autos , i don't even add cal/mag there is some in it ,. some companies almost make you buy into a contract with all their bottles lol.
Also make sure if you do add cal/mag when your feeding its always added FIRST to the mix and ph to 5.6 early , then drift up to 5.8 5.9 later in the grow , you will catch the cal then this will help you take up the rest of nutes ,

I did another couple in a new buffered batch of coco and they are up , green and loving life , my problem WAS the unbuffered coco
these where pure yellow with no lift . i was gonna dump them , but ill se what happens as ive a plant with pollen so if these do stunt ill use them for seeds , you cant stunt autos , they just stall out and flower
you can also check out the 420 sponsors ;)

BEFORE AND AFTER
P1100933.JPG
P1100937.JPG

Back
Top Bottom