Sarah Palin's Nonsensical, Confusing Marijuana Philosophy

I guess while I was on vacation somebody asked Tina Fey what she thought about marijuana...

Sarah Palin Calls Marijuana 'Minimal Problem'

"Well, if we're talking about pot, I'm not for the legalization of pot," Palin said. "Because I think that would just encourage especially our young people to think that it's OK to go ahead and use it and I'm not an advocate for that."

Unlike now, where we tell our young people that pot use is not OK by arresting and locking up adults.

"However I think we need to prioritize our law enforcement efforts. And If somebody's gonna smoke a joint in their house and not do anybody else any harm, then perhaps there are other things that our cops should be looking at to engage in and try to clean up some of the other problems we have in society that are appropriate for law enforcement to do and not concentrate on such a, relatively speaking, minimal problem that we have in the country," Palin said.

Except that we're not really going to arrest or lock up any adults for smoking pot, because when they are in their house smoking and not harming anyone, our cops have better things to do.

Got it? It's critically important to keep marijuana criminal to dissuade youth, but it is also a low priority and, relatively speaking, a minimal problem. We absolutely cannot stop arresting adults for weed, or the children suffer, but we're not going to go out of our way to arrest any adults for weed, because it's not appropriate for law enforcement.

Coming from anyone else this level of cognitive dissonance would blow my mind, but this is the woman who considered "what newspapers do you read?" to be a "gotcha" question, so nothing surprises me from her.

Oh, and how is the effort to discourage young people from using cannabis going? Well, they find it easier to get a hold of than alcohol, 41% of high school seniors have tried it, 1 in 4 seniors says they can procure cannabis within an hour, and more than 1 in 10 young adults aged 18-25 use cannabis twice a week of more.

How's that discouragey-young-peopley thing workin' out for ya? *wink*

Palin has previously admitted to smoking marijuana, but did so at a time when it was legal to do so in Alaska.

The Alaska Supreme Court made it legal to possess small amounts of marijuana in a 1975 decision, but it was then recriminalized by Republican Governor Frank Murkowski in 2006. [Which was found unconstitutional and Alaskans still enjoy the privacy right to up to one ounce of marijuana in their homes.]

"I can't claim a Bill Clinton and say that I never inhaled," Palin told the Anchorage Daily News in 2006.

So what is this "minimal problem" that adult use of marijuana causes? That it leads to delusions of grandeur among former beauty queens who quit their only elected office?

I guess it is a problem so minimal that we've seen five of the last eight major party candidates for president (Clinton, Gore, Bush, Kerry, Obama) and five of the last eight vice presidential candidates (Quayle, Gore, Kemp, Edwards, Palin) admit to having used marijuana.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Opposing Views
Author: "Radical" Russ Belville
Copyright: 2010 Opposing Views, Inc.
Website: Sarah Palin's Nonsensical, Confusing Marijuana Philosophy

Back
Top Bottom