Seed germination

paper towel needs to be wet. Germination can take up to a week or more. I'd say give them time.
And here, with a few exceptions, I've been averaging 24 to 48 hours for most seeds. Have I just been extremely lucky? Same germination technique as well.
My experience is that lively seed in wet paper towel will sprout vigorous tails in 1-2 days. When I plant those, they're almost 100% guaranteed to grow a plant. Seeds that only show a tiny root tip, and not a tail, after 3-4 days will not develop a tail. That said, I'm aware of various tricks to try to get old seed to sprout, but I have actually never tried those methods. When a seed's DNA is sufficiently damaged, due to being old and/or not stored properly, it's not going to sprout no matter what you do.

My experience is that lively seed in wet paper towel will sprout vigorous tails in 1-2 days. When I plant those, they're almost 100% guaranteed to grow a plant. Seeds that only show a tiny root tip, and not a tail, after 3-4 days will not develop a tail. That said, I'm aware of various tricks to try to get old seed to sprout, but I have actually never tried those methods. When a seed's DNA is sufficiently damaged, due to being old and/or not stored properly, it's not going to sprout no matter what you do.
I hear so many other members saying that the paper towel method does all these detrimental things but Ed Rosenthal has been growing great weed forever and a day n guess what method he uses? CL🍀

I hear so many other members saying that the paper towel method does all these detrimental things but Ed Rosenthal has been growing great weed forever and a day n guess what method he uses? CL🍀
Ed Rosenthal himself no longer uses the paper towel method. He does a version of direct planting

“Thanks to all for sharing your advice. I use starter trays and plugs. They come pre-moistened, with a little hole to drop a seed. I use the 50 per tray when I will be transplanting within two weeks and the 32 per tray for growing up to 3 weeks”

That’s direct from his website updated in 2021. Here’s the link;

I’ll leave this here for anyone interested in it

Teaming with bacteria by Jeff Lowenfels
627EC2DE-233B-4BA9-80D0-C5F1AE1D820A.jpeg
B647650A-9AF3-4A34-8CC2-F9D5BA3997DC.jpeg
60DA94AC-4261-4A8B-8DE5-D6FDF48D3942.jpeg
6EC60C3D-5E04-45FA-9FF3-AB58134546E7.jpeg

Those who sprout in glasses of water would find it beneficial to pour that water into their medium when planting their seeds. Those that use paper towels would find it beneficial to plant the paper towel as well. I personally roll my seeds in myco and plant them directly into my medium. I put it in my grow room with my light turned to 25%. I’ve germinated every seed I’ve ever planted, whether it’s cannabis or strawberries.

If you are really paranoid about root damage (haven't experienced it yet myself, and towel technique is what I use for everything), you can safely plant the bit of the towel the root is sticking to instead of trying to carefully lift the sprout from the towel.
Not paranoid, just mentioning it because it can be a real issue for those inexperienced with germinating seeds.

I handle the situation by sticking the seeds directly into the soil and skip all this handling of the newly sprouted seeds and roots. Works real well.;).

you can safely plant the bit of the towel the root is sticking to instead of trying to carefully lift the sprout from the towel.
Which is the purpose behind the use of peat pellets or the small peat pots.:).

Ed Rosenthal himself no longer uses the paper towel method. He does a version of direct planting

“Thanks to all for sharing your advice. I use starter trays and plugs. They come pre-moistened, with a little hole to drop a seed. I use the 50 per tray when I will be transplanting within two weeks and the 32 per tray for growing up to 3 weeks”

That’s direct from his website updated in 2021. Here’s the link;

I’ll leave this here for anyone interested in it

Teaming with bacteria by Jeff Lowenfels
627EC2DE-233B-4BA9-80D0-C5F1AE1D820A.jpeg
B647650A-9AF3-4A34-8CC2-F9D5BA3997DC.jpeg
60DA94AC-4261-4A8B-8DE5-D6FDF48D3942.jpeg
6EC60C3D-5E04-45FA-9FF3-AB58134546E7.jpeg

Those who sprout in glasses of water would find it beneficial to pour that water into their medium when planting their seeds. Those that use paper towels would find it beneficial to plant the paper towel as well. I personally roll my seeds in myco and plant them directly into my medium. I put it in my grow room with my light turned to 25%. I’ve germinated every seed I’ve ever planted, whether it’s cannabis or strawberries.
If you read all the growers methods there are still some of the pro’s using the paper towel method. I’m not saying that it’s good or bad just some still use it. CL🍀

If you read all the growers methods there are still some of the pro’s using the paper towel method. I’m not saying that it’s good or bad just some still use it. CL🍀

I think you and I actually talked about, if it works for you, and you’re happy that’s all that matters, in growing and in life.

That’s direct from his website updated in 2021.
Fair enough, but Ed is obviously sprouting large amounts of seed – the paper towel method wouldn't be practical for him. But I hear you about the microbes in the seeds... thanks for that. Now a couple questions emerge... If paper towel method, and seed germinates, when transferred to sprouting medium, how much of seed's microbes are lost? And, how many beneficial ones are gained when coming into contact with the sprouting medium? In other words, does it really make a difference to retain all of seed's microbes?

Back
Top Bottom