Seed storage

johnehazeharvester

I keep my seeds in an ammo case because it is air tight. I store in the basement. I decided to throw a humidity monitor in it and it was about 54% which is kind of high. I put a handful of rice at 200° for about 10 minutes in the toaster oven. Threw that in. It brought the humidity down to 44%. It started rising as soon as I opened up the case. Got to keep it closed

PXL_20230411_193340386.jpg

PXL_20230411_193326702.jpg

.I have in basement where it is cool around 60F but will creep up to 70 in the summer. I'll put case in garage refrigerator.
Sees will stay dormant and last longer in the fridge. Not only is it cooler there but it reduces rapid and extreme temperature swings.

I have not bought any of the plastic ammo cans but do you know if yours is the exact measurements of the standard US specs for a 30 caliber ammo can.? I bought a bunch of metal 30 Cal and 50 Cal back in the late 1990s when they were available and cheap, like $2 to $3 each.

Sees will stay dormant and last longer in the fridge. Not only is it cooler there but it reduces rapid and extreme temperature swings.

I have not bought any of the plastic ammo cans but do you know if yours is the exact measurements of the standard US specs for a 30 caliber ammo can.? I bought a bunch of metal 30 Cal and 50 Cal back in the late 1990s when they were available and cheap, like $2 to $3 each.
I'll have to check when I get home. I think this was about 10 bucks. I am now away for 7 days. Hoping everything will be okay when I return.

Can't use ammo cans in my house because they are all full of ammo. The frig sounds like a great place to keep seeds.

Can't use ammo cans in my house because they are all full of ammo. The frig sounds like a great place to keep seeds.
Yep, I know the feeling. I just stocked up way back when because the military surplus cans are designed for ammo storage in any sort of weather or environment condition.

Some of the plastic cans are good storage containers but they do not meet the storage specifications that the metal mil-surp cans did.

I still have some of the small green plastic cans that looked like mini-ammo cans and held 250 rounds of 22LR. They were bought back in the late 80s or early 90s if memory serves. The ones I have are still unopened so I will be ready for the zombie apocalypse. If they can take out a zombie by stabbing it in the brain stem with a knife we figure it can be done with a 22 LR. That way we can save the larger caliber reloads for larger two legged critters that are trying to kill us.

Yep, I know the feeling. I just stocked up way back when because the military surplus cans are designed for ammo storage in any sort of weather or environment condition.

Some of the plastic cans are good storage containers but they do not meet the storage specifications that the metal mil-surp cans did.

I still have some of the small green plastic cans that looked like mini-ammo cans and held 250 rounds of 22LR. They were bought back in the late 80s or early 90s if memory serves. The ones I have are still unopened so I will be ready for the zombie apocalypse. If they can take out a zombie by stabbing it in the brain stem with a knife we figure it can be done with a 22 LR. That way we can save the larger caliber reloads for larger two legged critters that are trying to kill us.
Still waiting for them zombies to appear and I have my bug out bags ready.

2 ammo cases are full w ammo 1 w seeds and i bought an empty one for $3.99 at harbor freight when on sale. My clone is just starting to flower so should get >100 seeds off it if everything goes well.

After they sufficiently dry I put them in a plastic divided tray with some dry rice. Then I put the tray in a gallon baggie. Then it goes in the fridge and doesn't get opened until I am ready to pop some. I let them come to room temperature then into a slight solution of water and hydrogen peroxide. Then in the damp paper towel.

I keep them in the fridge. The seeds are in little vials or mini baggies and those are in larger freezer baggies. All of that goes into a airtight plastic container, Snapware 9.5 liter. I have that damn thing filled up. hehe

I think having several layers of protection is best as the temperature and humidity effect is lessened. Not absolutely necessary of course. Freezing is better for say over 15 years storage. If I have any seeds that get around 10 years old I hope to reproduce them before they go bad. I have so many that I can not do that with lots of them. Just pick out the most important to me and make sure I always have a fresh supply. Under 15 years old being fresh to me.

As a follow up, I bought some dehydration packs and through them I'm ammo case as well. RH in there was much d 30's.
My results for selective lower bud pollination are below
Yield:
Rosetta Stone 16 seeds
Mota Hari 110 seeds
OG Kush 60 seeds
Alien OG 32 seeds

I also took a clone of Rosetta Stone. I pollinated it and harvested after 5 1/2 weeks
On the upper plant I used the tall Pineapple Express male
On the lower plant I used a short smelly Pineapple Express male .
Yield:
808 seeds from tall male donor
322 seeds from short male donor

I gave 30 away already.
I put 20 of each of the latter, in the freezer and the rest in an ammo case in the refrigerator.
I noticed a few hundred seeds were underdeveloped and did not count them. In future I will go at least 6 weeks and probably only pollinate lower branches as it was a lot of time collecting and counting seeds.

Back
Top Bottom