Seedlings in coco with gaia green

I am using 3gal smart pots. I saw those other ones on amazon and was thinking of buying some to try.

I filled my pots with the amended coco but had an issue with my seeds getting going so my pots sat for a week and got extremely dry. Now since I planted I have just been watering a small area around where the seedling is at 6.8ph.

Can drying out the coco like I did cause any issues with the medium?

I decided to water one of the seedlings to slight runoff to fully rehydrate the entire pot of coco at 6.0ph. to see how it does compared to the other seedling.

I am using 3 gal smartpots. I like the ones on amazon. They look tough with good aeration.

I decided to water one of the seedlings to runoff at 6.0ph. The pots completely dried out for over a week while I was waiting to get the seeds germinated. I have only been watering a small area just around the seedling for fear of overwatering. I was using 6.8ph.

Can anything happen to the coco if you leave it to dry out completely like I did? Affect the nutrients that I amended it with?

My other 2 seeds just poked their heads out in the last few hours so I'm hoping to get things on track before these get going too far. They are 8 days behind the first 2.

water the whole pot not just around the plant you want a good 20-30 % run off and make it at 5.8 ph and less than 200 ppm on the nutes but they look good so far .

Plants are still pale green with yellow streaks/spots. Been watering at 6.5. The last 2 days I started adding cal/mag thinking it may be a calcium deficiency. I also see small brown spots on one of the larger plants.

Gaia green organic slow release dry amendments. No chemicals.

Larger plants are now 19 days old.

With the deformities and spotting/ streaking on the leaves........could this be a genetic thing? Old seeds or low quality seeds??

Attachments

• 20190310_094515.jpg
    20190310_094515.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190310_094454.jpg
    20190310_094454.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 20190310_094443.jpg
    20190310_094443.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 20190310_094406.jpg
    20190310_094406.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 20190310_094420.jpg
    20190310_094420.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20190310_094507.jpg
    20190310_094507.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 129
why are you running a 6.5 ph get it to 5.8 and the problems go away ,that is a hydro grow -not soil , you were sent the chart for the ph on page 1 of the posts.

I did soak the pots with 6.0 but the plants didnt look good the next day. Was told to water differently with the gaia green dry amendments to protect the soil microbes. Not using chemical fertilizers.

Would dropping from 6.8 to 6.0 shock them possibly? I went back up to 6.5 thinking I may have damaged them.

even if this was soil your ph is still to high , soil grow ph is 6.2 ph and coco is 5.8 , yes you don't want large ph swings , adjust your ph with every watering to slowly get it to where you need to be , what was your ratio of soil to coco you put in the pots ? , I think maybe the problem is you are having is a soil grow and half coco grow , you should only do 1 or the other not both in the same pot , either soil or coco but not both , coco doesn't hold nutes very well , and soil does so I am thinking you are having hot spots with in each pot , if you want a more airy -light soil mix then add perlite not coco to the organic soil mix as the adding of coco and perlite cause the soil to dry out quicker , that's all .coco and perlite work good together and soil and perlite work good together , but not coco and soil I.m.h.o.

Would dropping from 6.8 to 6.0 shock them possibly? I went back up to 6.5 thinking I may have damaged them.

pH fluctuations will harm the plants. I strongly suggest contacting MrCanuck, as no one using his method has replied. Send him a link to this thread so he knows what has been happening.

I'm using straight canna coco. No soil. I amended the coco before planting. I did mix the coco and then left it sitting for over a week in the smart pots before planting. They dried out completely while waiting for my seeds to germinate in wet paper towel. I only watered a small area around the seed when I did plant finally.

Could the coco and amendments be affected at all drying out so much before planting?

This is an old post. trying mr cannuck grow method too. he doesn't water at the regular ph level for coco. he waters at 6.56.8.. I dont know why but there is a video where he says its very important when using gaia green. apparently you cannot treat it like a regular coco + coco nutrients grow.
Honestly mate,
This Mr canuk character is the no3 cause of cannabis related homicides on here. Beaten only by cats at no1 and feckless hydroshop guys at no2.
Everything about it screams soil grower that doesn't understand coco and I swear every time I've seen it tried it's been a failer.
I've never checked him out but I've sat and laughed at least a dozen times when people have been adamant it will work and fried their plants to oblivion.

The thing that makes it so hard is that you can't flush anything out cos it makes it stronger and coco is designed to be fed mass volumes all day long.
Paradox so to speak. An immovable object being met with an unstoppable force.

He's obviously doing something pretty special cos lots of guys do try this but they all fail and as a coco grower I really can't get my head round why his methods work.

This is an old post. trying mr cannuck grow method too. he doesn't water at the regular ph level for coco. he waters at 6.56.8.. I dont know why but there is a video where he says its very important when using gaia green. apparently you cannot treat it like a regular coco + coco nutrients grow.

Good luck with your grow. Let us know how it works out.

I'm in @Barnes86's camp on this one. I don't think slow release fertilizers have any place in a coco grow. I'm willing to eat my words if you have a successful grow.

Good luck with your grow. Let us know how it works out.

I'm in @Barnes86's camp on this one. I don't think slow release fertilizers have any place in a coco grow. I'm willing to eat my words if you have a successful grow.

Yes i understand your point. But I want to try. I will try to remember This page when I'm ready to chop

Yes i understand your point. But I want to try. I will try to remember This page when I'm ready to chop

There's nothing wrong with trying something different. Someone had to move out of our comfort zone. That's why we have so many growing choices today.

I got tired of spending on expensive nutes. And this guy on YouTube has really nice results. I dont know if he is telling the truth but will see.

Something I heard about lately is Mega Crop. It's used alone, and dissolved in water. It's supposed to be good from seedling to harvest. All you do is increase the concentration as your grow progresses. It's also lower cost than other nutrients. A 2.5 Kg bag goes for about $50 CAD. The strongest I've heard of it being used is 7.5gm/US gal during flower. That bag would make about 420 US gallons or 1600 liters of nutrient solution at an average strength of 6gm/US gal.

Something I heard about lately is Mega Crop. It's used alone, and dissolved in water. It's supposed to be good from seedling to harvest. All you do is increase the concentration as your grow progresses. It's also lower cost than other nutrients. A 2.5 Kg bag goes for about $50 CAD. The strongest I've heard of it being used is 7.5gm/US gal during flower. That bag would make about 420 US gallons or 1600 liters of nutrient solution at an average strength of 6gm/US gal.

i think i will try this out

Back
Top Bottom