Seedlings: Not enough light or too much?

Okay! Problem solved. Little ones already respondend and oriented towards the light.

20220119_154921.jpg

I figure the reason for bending was due to light reflection. As light reflects in the tent, it creates 4 bright spots on the sides of the tent where more light rays come together and create a more intense spot than the light itself. This happens because light was not pushing enough. It's more complicated than that of course but I hope it makes sense. That's my assumption at least, did not test that yet. That's why the little ones were bending and stretching ... and only towards those spots.
20220119_155812.jpg

(Excuse my drawing skills. Never liked it.)

Anyways, thanks guys! You really helped, as usual! :)
Physically, I don't think that is possible. Light intensity falls off with 1/d^2 - double the distance and light is down by a factor of 4, etc. The light path for light that reflects off of the reflective (and not 100% reflective, more like 70% reflective) surfaces is longer and so the light is much diminished for anything reflected versus directly from the light.

Phone light meters apps are highly inaccurate. I've done 2 different comparisons about 2 years apart. They are located HERE and HERE. It's well worth the $30 spent on a real meter if you're wanting to get the most out of your light.

HERE is a link on how to use a lux meter for cannabis. I tend to give my seedlings a bit more light than the article. They may be a bit shy for a couple days but they get accustomed quick and it keeps them from stretching. Above 60-65k I've seen some light damage so i usually cut it off there.
I agree -- one needs to spend at lwast $100,00 or more quality stuff

Physically, I don't think that is possible. Light intensity falls off with 1/d^2 - double the distance and light is down by a factor of 4, etc. The light path for light that reflects off of the reflective (and not 100% reflective, more like 70% reflective) surfaces is longer and so the light is much diminished for anything reflected versus directly from the light.
At that low intensity level (5%), I'm inclined to agree. Shane from Migro did a review and best case on the edges is 760 * 0.05 = 38 µmols when measured at 19" vs 1.2 meters (47") so we're in DAWA territory ("dark as a whale's ass").

That's not a knock on the OP. A year ago, when I unarchived my grow tent that I put away in 2017, I went through two sets of seeds, one reason being that I wasn't giving them enough light. After the second set, I took a pause. I got rid of the light (it was a Kind blurple from 2017) and put my shekels into things like a SuperSprouter, Rapid Routers, and an Apogee. Things have turned out better since then. :)

Back
Top Bottom