Sleepy's Sophomore Grow: Weedseed Express Chocolope

SleepIsWrong

The particulars:
============================================
Seeds: Weedseed Express Chocolope feminized
Medium: Soil grow, 4 parts premium Leaf Gro, 2 parts Peat Moss, one part vermiculite, one part pearlite.
Lighting: To start - HLG Rspec 100 - I have two so I may double up during flowering.
Nutrients: Fox Farms Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, Sledgehammer Flush; GH CalMagic
Germination date: June 11, 2021
============================================
So here we go with round #2. My first grow was based on some clones I got from a friend. They've turned out pretty good, here's a link to my Journal for that grow: linky. The seeds were germinated by dropping them into a glass of distilled water and leaving them overnight. The next day I popped them into the soil mix in 1-quart containers. As I now know, those containers were way too big and I was constantly fighting overwatering and keeping the soil from getting totally soggy and drowning the roots. I believe that led to a nitrogen deficiency later on.

By June 15th, just four days later they had begun to rise from the soil!

Since my grow tent was currently occupied by my previous grow I put these under some grow lights my wife had for germinating seeds for her vegetable garden. After a few days I began to take them outside during the day to get full sunlight. I was hoping the sun and wind would help dry the soil a bit. Watering was done by watering lightly in a circle about 2" out from the main stem. During the week of June 21-28 I took the first of two week-long trips to Michigan. When I got back here is what they looked like (June 29, 18 days since germination).

And so they continued to grow, but a couple of lower leaves were showing a bit of yellowing. On July 13th I took the second of two vacations to Michigan, returning on July 19th. During both of these trips my garden-wiz spousal unit (she's a U of Md certified master gardener) watered them and I think she most definitely overdid it. Here's what they were looking like when I returned - they had not grown much at all and all the bottom leaves were showing signs of a nutrient deficiency - my guess is Nitrogen.

On that night I decided to harvest my first grow. The very next morning I mixed up soil for the new plants and transplanted them to their "forever" homes, 5-gallon fabric pots. I also decided to buy another HLG RSpec 100 light as I did not want to take the one in the tent out - top of the tent was full of hangers for the drying harvest, and I thought I might be able to use a second light in the tent during flowering. It will be interesting to see if I can actually fit four 5-gallon pots in my small grow tent. Here they being transplanted.

The up-potting seemed to do them some good! After a day or so they started growing rapidly! During their post-seedling and pre-transplant time they had simply been given pH-adjusted water. Once in their new pots they got a 1/3-strength nutrient schedule as recommended on the Fox Farms Feeding Schedule. They grew a lot of new fan leaves and looked very healthy by yesterday, July 26th.

Today I topped them. This is my first time topping. Since they were a bit weak a week or so ago I delayed doing so. The result is that I've topped them a bit higher than I see most do. I wanted to be sure there were lots of leaves to provide lots of power for the roots. Here's one of the topped plants from yesterday:

And so that's where things stand today. My previous grow has a few days left to dry. Once that is done I'll clean up the tent and move these plants in.

Ugh! Looked at a leaf on one of the plants - saw some tiny white spots all over. Look under the leaf at 30x - Spider mites! At least two of the four plants has them - I'm assuming they all do.

Washed in a diluted solution of water, mild soap and red pepper. Spread some diatomaceous earth around the stems in each pot. I'll get some powdered citric acid and am ordering some SNS209. I saw one red and one white. I've seen lots of recommended remedies but am always open to hearing about your favorite tactics! One I've heard a lot about is "Nuke 'em", which appears to be basically distilled water, about 0.5% citric acid, and yeast.

Sleepy

Ugh! Looked at a leaf on one of the plants - saw some tiny white spots all over. Look under the leaf at 30x - Spider mites! At least two of the four plants has them - I'm assuming they all do.

Washed in a diluted solution of water, mild soap and red pepper. Spread some diatomaceous earth around the stems in each pot. I'll get some powdered citric acid and am ordering some SNS209. I saw one red and one white. I've seen lots of recommended remedies but am always open to hearing about your favorite tactics! One I've heard a lot about is "Nuke 'em", which appears to be basically distilled water, about 0.5% citric acid, and yeast.

Sleepy
Here’s a test that was just posted .

Got to be honest the borg just need burning . I know there are ways to manage the mites BUT for the health of future grows burn it all.The 2 times i had mites i have never got rid of them all.You have a chance i guess being in veg.
But its a battle I wont take on any more i see mites i will burn and start over.Good luck my friend.

Understood. Hope I don't regret it - I have been spraying the one plant with the above-mentioned water/soap/cayenne pepper spray every few days. Since my previous post I've only seen one bug and it was not moving. The SNS 209 is supposed to be here by Thursday. So I'll try on multiple fronts - outside with the spray and inside with the 209. I'm guessing she picked up the bug(s) when I was putting the plants outside every day. The other three look really good with no visible problems. Fingers crossed!

It's been over two weeks and no return of the mites! The (hopefully) ladies are getting HUGE! I never intended to grow four plants as I really do not have the room. But since all four sprouted, well, here we are:

My current plan is to feed tomorrow, then likely flip to 12/12 lighting on Friday. I have a second identical light and will put that into the tent for the flowering cycle. These are a sativa cultivar so will likely jump up a bunch - challenging the highest I can lift my lights.

It has now been nine weeks since germination. I fed today with full nutrients (per gallon - 15ml Fox Farms Big Bloom, 10ml Fox Farms Grow Big, 10ml Fox Farms Tiger Bloom, and 5ml of GH CalMagic) total of 3 gallons for the four plants. I also put the second LED light in, in preparation to going 12/12 for flowering. Every one of these plants is a moose! I wish I could grow outside. Anyway, my grow tent is not all that tall so I gotta flip to flower soon, likely this weekend. I also did some light pruning today, mostly interior stuff, and mostly fan leaves. The trellis/grid will go in soon after I flip the lighting schedule. Note to self - no more four plants in the tent nonsense! Here's a quick family portrait...

Sleepy

Hey Sleepy I did the safer insect soap but didn’t work on the mites . I used the 217A on the mites for three days and they looked dead in the microscope but I still did two days of the PC to make sure it dries out the mite if any sacks are left .

Thanks Hippie! I actually bought a bottle of that but the pepper spray along with mild soap, raising the humidity, and keeping a fan on it seemed to do the trick. It's been a couple weeks and not a single leaf has shown any problems. The plants are growing gang busters! My tent is only 6'11" - and not all of that is available - can only raise the lights so much. Thus my thought to flip them into flowering now.

Sleepy

I got the same tent at 6’11”-5’x5’ , I’ve had to supercrop nearly all my grows in it . The dosidos were short plants and work great without any supercroping. It’s the only way I had a level canopy also .

About a week ago two of the four plants were exhibiting droopy leaves, some yellowing and falling off the lower branches. I think they were just thirsty. I feed that day (Thursday?) with just water, then again on Sunday last week (full nutrients) and again today (just water + CalMag). While a fair number of leaves from underneath did fall off or were cut off, by the next day things were looking better and today everything is fine. They've been on the 12/12 lighting schedule for almost two weeks now.

It's been four weeks since my last post here. The plants have continued to drop leaves, especially one of the plants, but all of the dropped leaves come from the lower parts of the plants. Middle to top up everything seems fine! Here they are five and change weeks into flower. This is a heavy sativa strain (95%) and I've read they take a bit longer in flowering. Checking trychomes I see only clear ones so far so gotta ways to go, but my my are there some nice flowers! Biggest problem with this grow is that because all four of the seed germinated I felt compelled to grow all four. Sadly, my grow tent is way too small to be ideal for that many plants (24x30-inch footprint). Next grow will be two plants MAX! Right? Ya - that's the ticket!

Sleepy

I'm only a few days from harvest from what I can tell. Here are a couple of tent pictures.

BUT!

Since they seemed to be getting close I decided to take some close-ups, so I broke out the microscope camera. The first picture caught my eye upon review. Notice the tops of the trichomes on the right. While I only found a few amber trichomes scattered around the "heads" of those on the right were all amber and even black. I looked closer at the bud with my 30x loupe and guess what? BUD ROT!!!!

My heart absolutely sank! I immediately came here to consult with the hive mind and following some suggestions I quickly snipped off the (huge) cola that was infected. I wish I had taken a picture - one area on the side looked like it was covered with silk. After snipping the bud I cut it open and the inner regions nearest the stem had begun to turn brown. I discarded it offering a prayer to the bud goddess, thanking Her again for the blessings of Her magic plant, asking Her forgiveness for allowing high levels of humidity into the tent and vowing never to sin again. Thankfully it looks like it was a warning. I'm two more days in and have scrupulously inspected all of the remaining buds (of which there are many) and have found no further damage. I spend a bit of time every day inspecting the buds looking for pests and gauging the amber trichome ratio. That likely saved me. Here are a few more from the microscope. My plan is to harvest this weekend. These plants (four of them) are Chocolope - a 95% sativa variety and I definitely prefer a head buzz so I'm planning to take them down a bit early. What do you think? Too early?

Sleepy

Harvest Day! Here's a shot I took just before deciding to cut them down.

I like a head buzz and this is a 95% sativa cultivar. Still a very few clear, mostly frosty, a few amber trichomes. I trimmed all the fan leaves and hung the full plants upside down in the grow tent. I have the dehumidifier on in the room in which the tent resides. I've got the exhaust fan at about 75%, and one very small (essentially a three or four inch computer fan) pointed into one of the corners of the tent. I think I dried too much on my previous (and only other) grow, so I'll be closely monitoring the temp and RH. Last checked, just before zipping up, 72 degrees F and 54% RH. I'm sure that's about to go up with all that wet green in the room. One curve ball was that I had watered this morning. I cut them at about 9pm. So I expect to have to battle RH a bit. But scheduled events meant I had to wait until next week, which I did not want to do. When I watered I'd yet to take any pictures. I took eight, two of each plant - randomly positioned camera but on a bud to check trichomes. Of the eight I felt six were most definitely ready. The fourth one I got a picture with about the same development as in the picture, above. The other had a significantly larger number of clear trichome heads, as much as 30%.

I kind of think of harvest day as halftime in a football game. Just wait whatever necessary number of daze and then get busy with the third (trimming) and fourth (curing) quarters. I've taken a few tasters from areas near where I'd cut out some bud rot. Just checking to make sure nothing spread (it did not) and since they were clean I put them in a small brown bag. Been in there about a week so smoking it. Not cured but lots less harsh than I'd expected. Kick ass high.

We have some cooler and dryer weather coming so perfect for drying. I may turn off the dehumidifier and just let the cool dry air fall into the basement.

So while the marching band is on the field it's time to relax and, would you look at that, it's 4:20!

I figure it is about time that I finish up this grow journal - seeing as it's been almost a month since my most recent update! I finally decided to harvest the plants on October 25th. Here's a picture of some of the "stars" - followed by a picture of the entire harvest just after removing fan leaves and hanging in the tent.

First point to make is that I repeated a mistake from my first grow. That mistake would be letting the plants dry out too much before jarring. I checked each day and tried the "bend/break" test but finally, after eight days at about 50% ambient humidity I decided to do the final trim and jar. I had already cut all the fan leaves when I cut the plants down. I let them hang upside down (entire plants) in the tent with no light and just the exhaust fan running. Maybe I was running the exhaust fan at a too-high setting? In any event the flowers seemed a bit crumbly when I started trimming. Here's a shot of a tray of flowers during trimming.

In total I ended up with five jars about 80% full of just the better flowers. I also got a fair amount of smaller and less-developed flowers.

It took quite a while in the jars (day or two) before the relative humidity in the jars began to rise. They were all at around 50% or slightly more. So I used some cicada screen material to secure some lemon peel to the jar lids for a couple days with frequent burping. If I did not burp frequently (several times a day) the RH in the jars would climb to 70% or more, so after a couple days I took the lemon peels out. They have now been curing in the jars for about three weeks and have held steady at anywhere from 61% to 65%. Immediately following using the lemon peels I was burping once or twice a day, keeping the jars open in ambient 50%-or-so humidity for a half hour, then closing up and putting them back in a cool dark closet. These days I burp every three or four days for 20 minutes or so. Given that they seem to have dried to quickly while hanging in the tent I really don't know if all the efforts towards "curing" are going to help any, but I sure as heck am not going to smoke that much any time soon! Two days ago I weighed everything out now that the RH has stabilized. 189 grams of "primo" buds and 63 grams of "secondary" buds. The secondaries will be decarbed, ground, and extracted for cannabutter. Also got a nice small bag of powder to sprinkle on the tops of bong hits. Three weeks in the jars so far and even without a proper cure the bud tastes good and is surprisingly smooth. It's also quite potent!

So this pretty much closes out this grow journal. Fear not, however! I've popped a single seed of the Chocolope for my next grow (#3). I'm only doing a single plant this time and trying out some of the training techniques I've been reading about. She currently stands about two inches tall, looking all cute in her tidy little peat-pod!

Back
Top Bottom