Seedlings turning lime green and yellow

Bertie

Hi, I've never had this happen before, and have never bought seeds before either, so it's a bit of a bummer.

Everything else, soil/perlite and ratios, light, temp, humidity has all been A1 for bagseed in the past.

I dont think it's a strain thing either, as there are 9 Sensi hash plants regular, 3 paradise fem freebies, 3 royal queen femmed freebies, and a freebie auto from each of those two companies also, and it's happening on everything.

i thought it must be a slight N deficiency, as I use seedling soil/perlite, which is usually fine, but with them being hybrids I thought they might be a little more hungry, so gave them a weak feed, but no difference, other than a couple of the hash plants had purple stems, and they went light green, but then started to go purple again, though one has stayed the lighter colour. PH going in is fine, at around 6.5, and out a touch lower (not much, around 6.2 ish would be my guess). I tried to give a little more of a high N dose earlier, but again weak (quarter strength, which is too early I know, but I don't know what else to do), I also mixed a bit of fine dolomite lime in with the feed to maybe buffer any PH problems I don't know about. Mu run off PH reading at 6.2ish, was a kind of group reading.

I've also raised the lights. I will check again tomorrow, but in the meantime (as I don't think what I've done is going to do much), do you guys have any ideas what could be wrong. I can sense a lot of them wont make it if something isnt done soon, as it's getting worse. Temps are a little high (83 with humidity at 65%), but my usual bagseed has been fine in veg like that, and higher in the past. Indeed, the bagseed ones i have going, are doing fine (considering they're pot bound, deliberately and are in the same area, just under a similar but different light).

I'll go and learn how to post pics (cant remember). Pics to follow shortly.

How old are they? i don't feed until day 21 at least......and if the only thing you did differently is feed them, then hey thats probably it. might be too much N. :peace:

uk_trip_052.JPG

uk_trip_060.JPG

uk_trip_065.JPG

uk_trip_063.JPG

uk_trip_054.JPG

As you can see in that last pic, the leaves are the same colour as the dying cotyledons. They're all getting like that, some worse and have even started curling under. Like I say, I've added some chemical N (mild dose), have added some dolomite lime, and have raised the lights a couple of inches. So tomorrow might be a whole new day, but somehow I can't see it. Growth had slowed right down also, but then did pick up a bit with the first mild feed, but no improvement on the lime green/yellowing.

Hi Ledron. They're only 2 weeks old, but should be bigger than that after a fortnight. The yellowing started and the growth was slow, so I gave them a weak feed, it was weak the first time, at about 1/8th strength of some seaweed liquid fert. They grew a bit (new shoots came up/2nd leaves), but it didn't stop the yellowing, now I've given them about 1/4 strength of chemical fert high in N, as I know that gets in there straight away.

The seedling soil is pretty dark, but it's also pretty moist at the moment (not really wet) as I just did what i mentioned before deciding to ask on here. They needed a drink, and i was desperate, so gave them a bit of N chemical feed as well. It isn't an over watering issue, as I let em get almost bone dry. So much so, that despite the soil I use having great drainage, it still forms a little puddle on top for a second or two. So when watering I have to go very slow, and can speed up once it starts going through. They all get 100ml each time (1600ml between them).

One other thing. The HP8 in the second pic in the middle, is perhaps one of the most yellow of them. It also had a deep purple stem, before I gave it that 1/8th strength seaweed feed. It has gone to the colour it is now (the stem) since, and remained so, so I thought I was doing something right, hence me going and giving them a touch more (but chemical) a couple of hours ago.

Now I'm freaking out!:bitingnails:

Yes, they're plant pot with holes. I've used those type before. I only have to go slow for a second or two when watering, as I have filled the pots right up, so there is little room for water to sit. I cant just pour on 100ml, as it would overflow. I get about 20ml on slowly, and then by the time I'm at 30ml, I can toss the rest on as quick as I like.

I only mentioned it, as I could tell you thought it might be an over watering issue, but it isn't.

I grown loads of SoG weed indoor pre internet days, and also did a bagseed one last year, as well as playing with some while waiting for seeds. I've never experienced this before though, I just don't know whats going on. The only difference this time, is that I've paid for these seeds (damn expensive for the HP as well). There's a few different strains including the freebies though, so it isn't genetic, at least I 99% don't think it is.

Just don't know what it is. I'll be going back in shortly, to see if I've done any damage. I really didn't want to have to start leeching them, then having to add trace elements and stuff. I'm not too happy that I've raised the light either, as I think they might stretch. It's only a 100 watter tube style CFL.

OK, there is no change, but I've thought of something. below that area is the flower area, and that has been under construction. I was using glue, and some spray on adhesive, which did stink a bit, for a while anyway.

Do you reckon the fumes could have done some damage? I'm thinking smells are particles, so maybe?

What do you think, and if so, do you reckon it'll be OK, once the next set of leaves sprout? It does tie in time wise also. They're about 2 weeks old, and I did that 8 - 9 days ago when they hadn't been up for too long.

I thought at the time that the oscillating fan will have ensured there was plenty of fresh air, but I've probably blown fumes all over them instead. Not sure how toxic it was/is, but that spray adhesive could have suffocated them a bit.

I'll see if they start to pick up soon. If so, that must be it. You live and learn I guess.:icon_roll

Hmm, I don't think it was the fumes, as the first set of leaves have now greened up, and they're all now on the third set, and are looking lush.

I'm putting it down to the bag of seedling soil i used being faulty, as in, the N levels must have been unusually low. I don't know how, or is they supplement it beforehand, but giving them a mild high N feed seems to have done the trick.

Dunno, but pleased all is back on track.:grinjoint:

Will start a journal in a week or so.

What's your RH%? I just had a similar thing happen because of bunk starter soil combined with a broken humidifier. The low RH kept the stomata closed, so not much photosynthesis going on. Just a thought...

Sounds like it's turning around in any case. Good luck, brother!

Hi ShutUpDonny, the RH was around 58 - 60%, but now is up to around 65%. I think it was a bad bag of soil that did it though. Not sure what I'll use when potting on, but it'll be something else for sure.

Hi ShutUpDonny, the RH was around 58 - 60%, but now is up to around 65%. I think it was a bad bag of soil that did it though. Not sure what I'll use when potting on, but it'll be something else for sure.

Does anyone know if styrofoam bits could ruin soil? Seems straight forward but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom