Lime Green Seedlings?

I usually start seedlings under a mini t5 4000k and they've always been dark green.

I also used to keep them in a humidity dome even in solo cup and because I have so many seedlings that wasn't possible this time.
Also this time because I have so many seedlings I'm running under a 3500k 240 watt quantum board (dialed down to about 30-40% power.

I read one reason. Why seedlings turn bright lime green is not enough light and cant work their photosynthesis properly......so I was thinking i maybe didnt give them enough light, but not sure if that's it because fuck I mean that quantum board is 100% light coverage with samsung lm301h medium bin diodes (2nd best diode on the planet) then I noticed most of the outside seedlings are darker green and ones in the middle seem to be bright lime green. Does this mean I bleached them a bit with that quantum board being too close?

I've given no nutrients (and wont till 3rd node) I started them on bottle water. Then a mix of half bottled half tap. Now straight tap. I feed them 3 ml of water right on the stem so it travels down to roots and so I dont overwater. Those peat plugs I started them in hold to much water (not a fan wont use again, will go back to rapid routers from GH.

I did use coco because it's all I had at the time. I Will be transplanting into a 5 gall air pot with promix hp when I get home in 15 days.

20200213_223017.jpg
20200213_223007.jpg
20200213_223003.jpg
20200213_222954.jpg

Your coco looks bone dry, how are you getting oxygen to the roots? Watering just the stem seems counter productive, the roots need to seek out water, water around the cups edge, let the roots grow outwards, they may just be growing straight down.

Your coco looks bone dry, how are you getting oxygen to the roots? Watering just the stem seems counter productive, the roots need to seek out water, water around the cups edge, let the roots grow outwards, they may just be growing straight down.

The roots get oxygen through air spaces around them and which is accelerated by the coco and the holes I drilled in the sides of the solo cups.
Oxygen in water is only part of the equation.

Also if you keep the stem moist and burry it like I did it will produce it's own new roots just like a clone.

This was my last grow. I watered the exact same way im watering now with promix hp and and kept my soil bone dry accept for the stem until they got their 3rd or 4th nodes and they were always green.
They grabbed most of their water from the humdidty. I rarely watered them.

The only difference between the two grows is one is started in coco and one is started in promix hp. Basically the same bloody thing. I fed my plants a ph of 5.8 the entire grow in pro mix and didnt have one deficiency. Coco you feed 5.5
Resized_20191113_193331.jpeg

And when I transplanted them my roots were beautiful looking like this

20191130_145104.jpg

I'm really just trying to figure out why my leaves in the very center are lime green and why the outer ones are dark green. I have a feeling I bleached them with lights just wanted a second opinion. I got the watering under control

Promix Hp contains a starter amount of nutrients. Coco does not. They need some food.

Coco is not watered the same way as Promix.
I respectfully disagree bro. Promix hp contains limestone to balance ph. It does not contain ANY starter nutrients.

Coco and promix are both a soilless medium. Their closer mediums than any other out there other than the fact coco releases potasium from all the salt water and promix hp does not

Coco also dries out a day faster than promix hp. Coco you run 5.5 ph. Promix hp you run 5.9
Their almost identical
Screenshot_20200214-013710_Chrome.jpg

Also according to scientific studies seedlings get their nutrients from their oxycotldene leaves for the first stage of their life.

I never gave nutrients to my pro mix hp seedlings until the 3rd set of true leaves. They just received tap water.

Are we talking about the same stuff? Promix HP, with mycorrhizae.

“ PRO-MIX® HP MYCORRHIZAE contains a balanced nutrient charge to promote initial plant development. During the course of
crop production, it is necessary to initiate a fertilization program. The program selected should consider water nutrient content, crop type and stage of plant development. Begin fertilization within 7 days after planting and maintain fertilizer applications throughout the course of crop production. To insure plants receive proper nutrition, it is advisable to periodically analyze nutrient content of fertilizer solution, growing media and plant tissue to insure proper levels of nutrients are maintained throughout the crop cycle.”

[/QUOTE]
Are we talking about the same stuff? Promix HP, with mycorrhizae.

“ PRO-MIX® HP MYCORRHIZAE contains a balanced nutrient charge to promote initial plant development. During the course of
crop production, it is necessary to initiate a fertilization program. The program selected should consider water nutrient content, crop type and stage of plant development. Begin fertilization within 7 days after planting and maintain fertilizer applications throughout the course of crop production. To insure plants receive proper nutrition, it is advisable to periodically analyze nutrient content of fertilizer solution, growing media and plant tissue to insure proper levels of nutrients are maintained throughout the crop cycle.”

Mines just promix hp not myco but I think it should be the same stuff so your most likely right bro that it contains some. So thank you for that.

The coco I'm growing in is an organic coco with a mix if worm castings so it should have a bit of nitrogen in it. As well as the calmag from the tap water.

The only reason I didnt think it was a nutrient problem because the only.seedling affected by the lime green are directly in the middle. All the ones.on the outside are dark green. That's why I figured since PAR levels from the light would be greatest in the middle that they would be bleached.

This is all good stuff tho learned something about promix hp.

@Weaselcracker @Canuckush

I have some micro from gh out here with me so I'll try giving them a bit more water tommroow and a small does of micro and well see what that does.

Thanks for the quick replies

mate where does the low ph for coco come from. 5.8 is the coco ph normally ??. I wouldnt worry too much about the lime green this nearly on. I half expect seedlings to piss about deciding how they want to sit in the room and odd growth initially is nothing out of the norm for me. lol. good luck

mate where does the low ph for coco come from. 5.8 is the coco ph normally ??. I wouldnt worry too much about the lime green this nearly on. I half expect seedlings to piss about deciding how they want to sit in the room and odd growth initially is nothing out of the norm for me. lol. good luck
cheers bro:laughtwo:

The 5.5 I was talking about was in regards to nutrient solution. Hydro is run at 5.5ph and coco is considered hydro when it comes to every feed chart I've read Unless I'm mistaken

You are indeed mistaken but not to worry. 5.5 ph in coco is way too low. I've always had the best results around 5.9-6.2. You will have much faster growth with more frequent feedings in coco, it's nothing like hp.
Well fuck me I'm learning lots today :yummy:

Cheers my friend. Always happy to be wrong for the sake of knowledge.

cheers bro:laughtwo:

The 5.5 I was talking about was in regards to nutrient solution. Hydro is run at 5.5ph and coco is considered hydro when it comes to every feed chart I've read Unless I'm mistaken
why 5.5 ??? I use coco and always ph 5.8 . ph swings can go either way in the medium so it catches the nutes across the scale. with the 5.5 , surely if it dips lower your frying roots and causing lockout?. I am finishing a run of coco and Mc so in real terms for this nute the ph is less important to nail but how does your root system grab mg from the water if so low ph too ?. There is a chart on here somewhere showing the range that nutes use to seperate ions best from their trace elements and it does support a swing between 5.7-6.0 being the most " catch all" area.

why 5.5 ??? I use coco and always ph 5.8 . ph swings can go either way in the medium so it catches the nutes across the scale. with the 5.5 , surely if it dips lower your frying roots and causing lockout?. I am finishing a run of coco and Mc so in real terms for this nute the ph is less important to nail but how does your root system grab mg from the water if so low ph too ?. There is a chart on here somewhere showing the range that nutes use to seperate ions best from their trace elements and it does support a swing between 5.7-6.0 being the most " catch all" area.
Perfect, glad to learn what actually works as compared to whats on paper.

@Ganjagrandaddy @PE636 would u give these guys a small dose of nutrients?
18 of my seedlings look like the one on the left. 4 of em like the one on the right
20200214_035507.jpg

Perfect, glad to learn what actually works as compared to whats on paper.

@Ganjagrandaddy @PE636 would u give these guys a small dose of nutrients?
18 of my seedlings look like the one on the left. 4 of em like the one on the right
20200214_035507.jpg
I do in solo cups, a light quarter strength feed to run off at ph 5.8, especially to the ones at the stage that's on the left.

Ok it definately helped a bit. The little guys are starting to grow now. Even those 4 that were stunted are starting to come along. I think some of the new growth popping out is a darker green. Still some light green but it's quite possible they were bleached as well as underfed.
When I put the peat plugs in their solo cups I lined the transplant hole with some concentrated myco so that should be doing its things with the roots as well.

20200216_011424.jpg

20200216_011429.jpg

20200216_011432.jpg

Back
Top Bottom