Seeds from female plants

Silverpea

420 Member
Hi , so ofcoarse I have googled this alot but it seems hard to sift through all the info so I wanted to see what I could dig up here .

Last winter I did a 4 plant grow in my 4x4 tent not my first I've got maybe 10 plus grows under my belt .

Anyway I was very watch full and attentive to my lady's and never notices and male parts on any of them .

On harvest day I started to find seeds . I realized one of them obviously threw some pollen .

I'm 99 percent sure I identified the plant that did only because it had the most seeds .

Of the other three plants I took seeds from the one with the least seeds in the bud , example a 6 gram bud had 3 or 4 seeds .

Anyway I'm growing a few of the seeds from one of the plants that did not produce the pollen but was pollinated by the other plant that did .

What can I expect from these seed I'm assuming they will all be female ?

But I was told by a guy at the local hydroponic store that that wasn't the case . Not sure if he knows what he's talking about or not .

Has anybody here had experience doing this growing seeds that were pollinated by pollen from a different female plant ?

All plants were from the same strain

Hi Silverpea and :welcome: to the 420magazine website!

I can tell you what I think happened: it seems like the highly seeded plant grew some male parts late in flower (what we call "nanners" because they look like bananas). It's something that some plants do in a last ditch effort to reproduce before they die. It's not really a hermie as it didn't produce male and female parts from the jump, but some might say the plant "hermied" later in flower.

The pollen from those nanners would be female since it came from a female plant, and therefore the resulting seeds should be female. I'm currently growing my second plant from seeds that were produced that way.

Keep in mind that the genetics from a plant that will hermie can be passed down to the offspring, so keep an eye on those crosses in flower in case they start to throw nanners as well.

Thanks for the reply

so im thinking pretty much the plants should be all female with the possible trait from the mother / father plant to pass on the trait to make nanners ? But this trait should be lessened by the fact of the other plants genetics throwing in to the mix to lower the odds of it happening with these seeds although still possible?

But this trait should be lessened by the fact of the other plants genetics throwing in to the mix to lower the odds of it happening with these seeds although still possible?
Absolutely. Since the nanner plant was crossed with a non-nanner plant, the nanner genetics have been diluted with stronger stock. Like you said, still possible though, so keep an eye on the offspring.

Hi Silverpea and :welcome: to the 420magazine website!

I can tell you what I think happened: it seems like the highly seeded plant grew some male parts late in flower (what we call "nanners" because they look like bananas). It's something that some plants do in a last ditch effort to reproduce before they die. It's not really a hermie as it didn't produce male and female parts from the jump, but some might say the plant "hermied" later in flower.

The pollen from those nanners would be female since it came from a female plant, and therefore the resulting seeds should be female. I'm currently growing my second plant from seeds that were produced that way.

Keep in mind that the genetics from a plant that will hermie can be passed down to the offspring, so keep an eye on those crosses in flower in case they start to throw nanners as well.
It fairly common for Indica to make late male flowers. But would suspect Hermaphrodite. If so it would most likely be one with most seeds. And seeds from that plant will most likely to Hermaphrodite again. The other plants that have seed's still have potential to turn Hermaphrodite.

I'm almost done week 6 of flower and I got lots of seeds I was trying to pick balls off of about 3 out of 4 plants . And I used seeds from a female I'm pretty sure wasn't the pollen chucker oh well I won't be doing that little experiment again lol gonna make bubble hash out of them and then squish into rosin

It's not all bad I hope lol the top colas maybe don't have as many seed as the lower branches pretty frosty this was a few days ago

20211127_160122.jpg

One point i see consistantly overlooked

Near every time

A seed takes approx six weeks or a bit less to mature

So. A mature seed in a bud was not pollinated by a late in flower nanner

It was pollinated by an early to mid flower nanner

Just sayin

That is why late in flower nanners really are not a big problem for the plant they are on. But could be for other plants

That is also why late in flower nanners can be useful to use for breeding. Tho my opinion only. I use it

I was told my seed was gonna be hermie gonna be anything but a female, I went with the article I read that said if u find one seed in an 1/8 it’s female. It was it was also some of the best pot I ever smoked

C29A4D04-A9F1-4926-81A8-38E5EC5DC2AA.png

Ya its to bad , I was hoping that because I took seeds from a female that wasn't the one that produced the pollen that I would have good chances at these plants not carrying the gene. Or the gene not showing up I mean lol

Or at least 50/50 . 3 out of the 4 seeds starting making the odd ball sac hear and there . I unfortunately wasn't able to keep up on it enough and I have like 4 fans in the tent so the pollen got blown around everywere .

I suposse I could try and revege the one good female and keep it as a mom the buds from the first grow were very nice good and potent tasted great even though it had seeds but I'm just gonna start anew next time .

Back
Top Bottom