Seeds won't germinate

My older seeds i try give a good 48 hour soak before paper towels unless they crack in the water.
That being said i have had a full pack of humboldt white widow fail so it happens.
Old stock heat damage in transport etc and so on. I have also put them in paper towels
and not left enough room for them to crack out the seed it was so tight to it.
I try and leave a little bubble around the seed in the towel now and place in a zip lock
to hold the moisture better also blow air in the zip lock so the weight dont end up dropping on the seed.
All over kill i guess but its working for me just popped two today waiting on another two.
Hope it helps some always sad wasting money on seeds. if you need more i would reco @Weed Seeds Express :)

Yeah, old seeds, heat damage most likely. I let them soak for 3-5 days in TAP water, keep warm. then i put them all into a tupperware bowl with promix about 1 inch deep, wet with TAP water. Cover with lid and put in warm place. when they are inch tall, i flip the container upside down, and break up the promix, pull out the good ones and plant.

I need some help I'm trying to germinate some photo periods seeds but just failed trying to germinate 6 seeds fitc11 days with no luck using phd water at 5.9 and paper towel wet Tupperware seedling heat mat..anyone have any help?
I always put mine in a dark warm place. I’m not sure being in the dark is necessary but I always heard to do it. CL🍀 :Namaste:

Everyone has had luck doing different methods. The last two I’ve had luck sprouting were in very wet paper towel. Four layers thick above and below. On a plate in a zip lock gallon size. Covered with a dish towel on a heat mat. Left them for three days. I’m so anxious early in my career that after a day or two, I had to peek. Light hitting the small tap root barely peeking would cause it to retreat, never to be seen again. I soak these paper towels because I’ve had paper towels dry up too many times. Soaking doesn’t allow for that. Last sprout had a root that had to be 1” long. Guud luck!

I was going thru the same thing . Try scuffing them, use a nail file and sand the tip and the seem where the 2 halves meet don't sand the back of the seed where its hinge is. It's not easy but it can be done. Good luck

Way to go AZ. I leave my storage to a higher power

20230227_121505.jpg

20230227_121516.jpg

I just roll mine in myco, toss them in dirt, and they work 99% of the time. New seeds, old seeds, seeds stored properly, seeds stored on a shelf in a hot dry room for years, doesn’t matter. I’ve never had a seed not germinate in this manner. How it goes once they germinate is a different story though.

...failed trying to germinate 6 seeds fitc11 days with no luck using phd water at 5.9 and paper towel wet Tupperware seedling heat mat..anyone have any help?
Not sure what" fitc11" is. My experience with heating mats is that they are too hot for germinating. Oh, it still works but the success rate is lower and the plants do not grow as well. When experimenting with a heat I had a bit better luck by putting it on a timer. The mat came on for 30 minutes and then might stay of for an hour to as many as 8 hours depending on the room temperature. At night the mat would come on for 30 minutes and be off for 2 hours or so. All depends on the room temperature during 'lights on' and 'lights off'.

I just roll mine in myco, toss them in dirt, and they work 99% of the time. New seeds, old seeds, seeds stored properly, seeds stored on a shelf in a hot dry room for years, doesn’t matter. I’ve never had a seed not germinate in this manner. How it goes once they germinate is a different story though.
This method has worked for the past 600 million plus years, long before humans started attempting to walk on two legs and trying to one-up Mother Nature. Sometimes it works out.

It seems that we see a lot of questions about how to get the wet paper towel method to work as well as planting in soil.

This method has worked for the past 600 million plus years, long before humans started attempting to walk on two legs and trying to one-up Mother Nature. Sometimes it works out.

It seems that we see a lot of questions about how to get the wet paper towel method to work as well as planting in soil.

This has been my thought process all along. I admit I fell for the paper towel and jars of water, heck my current grow started as a modified jar of water germination. (Let them soak for 12 hours then myco then dirt) However it just never sat right with me, it’s unnatural and I can’t see the benefits of it for our purposes any more. Every reason I originally thought was negated once I learned more about plants and seeds.

I understand doing the paper towel method if you’re trying to plant a field of crops and need to get a handle on germination rates from a specific seed supplier, but as home growers of cannabis we shoot our selves in the feet before the grow even begins trying to sprout unnaturally.

The way I view it now is, if a plant can’t germinate the way nature intended then it’s probably for a reason and that plant probably won’t be strong enough for my liking. Being able to reach the max genetic potential of yield and quality is just a super sweet bonus of that lol.

Box or tube lined with sandpaper, give a shake to scuff seeds. Heat mat with a temp control 75 f
You can add H2O2 10% to help
If old may need some gibberellic acid
Paper towel, plastic bag

I would skip the ph adjusted water part and use plain tap water or spring water.

Ditto El Capitan Luckmeister… I believe seeds germ better in the dark....
Box or tube lined with sandpaper, give a shake to scuff seeds. Heat mat with a temp control 75 f
You can add H2O2 10% to help
If old may need some gibberellic acid
Paper towel, plastic bag
And place in the dark! CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom