Sexing from seed?

kBlazeUp

420 Member
Does anybody else do this? This is my first time.
They definitely stretched so i had to LST +Super crop.
How long does it take for the plants to shed the hairs & revert back to veg?

Sexing from seed is an controversial discussion, some say you can other say you can't. Some say depending on the growing environment you may get more males or more females from seed, as far as I know cannabis seeds are lizard eggs so I can't say how true that is. I think if you want females buy feminized seeds or else just be prepared to get both sexes. As for your other question if you flipped them into flower they will stretch about 100%-200%, LST should have been started before you flipped but they'll be OK. As for losing hairs and revert back to veg, how long were they into flower, if the plants are showing hairs and are female reverting back to veg could stress them out and Hermie. But all depends on other things. They won't lose there hairs, they can be in veg and have hairs.

into flower they will stretch about 100%-200%

Strain choice (sativa vs. indica) is a factor. I was once chasing phenotypes with some real Nevil's Haze and switched to the flowering cycle at around 15" tall - and these were mature clones, so it wasn't like they had to grow another few weeks before getting with the program, lol - and a couple of them ended up at around six feet tall.

Strain choice (sativa vs. indica) is a factor. I was once chasing phenotypes with some real Nevil's Haze and switched to the flowering cycle at around 15" tall - and these were mature clones, so it wasn't like they had to grow another few weeks before getting with the program, lol - and a couple of them ended up at around six feet tall.

Ya your right I totally forgot to mention Indica and Sativa would be a factor in stretching. My White widow doubled its size in flower.

Sexing from seed is an controversial discussion, some say you can other say you can't. Some say depending on the growing environment you may get more males or more females from seed, as far as I know cannabis seeds are lizard eggs so I can't say how true that is. I think if you want females buy feminized seeds or else just be prepared to get both sexes. As for your other question if you flipped them into flower they will stretch about 100%-200%, LST should have been started before you flipped but they'll be OK. As for losing hairs and revert back to veg, how long were they into flower, if the plants are showing hairs and are female reverting back to veg could stress them out and Hermie. But all depends on other things. They won't lose there hairs, they can be in veg and have hairs.

They were in flower for about 12-14 days more or less, i should of kept better track.
I got 2 female Columbian X Skunk cross from a friend & one is showing more towards the skunk side so i tied her down the other is showing more towards the Columbian side in the sativa phenotype and stretched a lot so i had to bend the bitch - she was too tall to tie down right now but I'm gonna keep taming her. I also got a Grape Fruit Kush, this one took longer to show sex so it has less hairs than the other two. I got them under 18/6 now, running a 600 watt HPS.

I'll try to post pics later if i get the chance!

They were in flower for about 12-14 days more or less, i should of kept better track.
I got 2 female Columbian X Skunk cross from a friend & one is showing more towards the skunk side so i tied her down the other is showing more towards the Columbian side in the sativa phenotype and stretched a lot so i had to bend the bitch - she was too tall to tie down right now but I'm gonna keep taming her. I also got a Grape Fruit Kush, this one took longer to show sex so it has less hairs than the other two. I got them under 18/6 now, running a 600 watt HPS.

I'll try to post pics later if i get the chance!

You say they were In Flower for 12-14 days do you mean they were under 12/12 lighting for that long or longer, usually a plant takes 7-10 under 12/12 to fully go into flower mode. So if you only had it under 12/12 for 12 days you should be safe.

Before I figured out that it was better to take a cutting from each "unsexed" plant and initiate flowering with ultra-cheap lighting (couple CFLs in a 30-gallon aluminum trash can will work, lol) and was, instead, trying to do so with the original plants... Afterwards, I'd switch to a 24/0 lighting schedule for about five days, then drop to 22/2, 20/4, and 18/6 over the next six or eight days.

My thinking was that the switch from 12/12 to 24/0 might cause them to revert faster, and that then dropping gradually back to 18/6 would prevent them from trying to go back into flowering. But I have no idea whether this was actually reality or just one of those dumb ideas I've had from time to time, as I never bothered to do a set of cuttings from the same plants as a control (so there was no scientific method involved). It's obviously not necessary, but it might have helped. Or maybe not, of course. . . .

Ya, most people take cuttings and use cloning gel to root them then put those clones under 12/12 to determine sex. I guess you could just put the cuttings in a humidity dome for couple weeks with 12/12. As for 24/0 light schedule I'm personally not a fan, I think all living things even plants need some sleep.

I agree. While cannabis has the ability to function as either a C3 or C4 plant, I think it does it good to have a nightly dark period. One also seems to hit the point of diminishing returns after about 20 hours of light or so per day (IMHO).

I just wanted them back in the vegetative phase as quickly as possible, and thought it might help in that regard (although, as I mentioned, I never did an actual experiment to see if it made any real difference). The reason I then dropped the light-hours gradually instead of straight back to 18/6 was that I've placed plants outdoors in the Spring and had them start to flower before the normal cycle of increasing daylight-hours prevented it. Although that might have been closer to 14 hours per day (or even less, in practical terms, since these were guerrilla grows in deep cover) than 16. But once bitten, twice scarred shy and all that.

I agree. While cannabis has the ability to function as either a C3 or C4 plant, I think it does it good to have a nightly dark period. One also seems to hit the point of diminishing returns after about 20 hours of light or so per day (IMHO).

I just wanted them back in the vegetative phase as quickly as possible, and thought it might help in that regard (although, as I mentioned, I never did an actual experiment to see if it made any real difference). The reason I then dropped the light-hours gradually instead of straight back to 18/6 was that I've placed plants outdoors in the Spring and had them start to flower before the normal cycle of increasing daylight-hours prevented it. Although that might have been closer to 14 hours per day (or even less, in practical terms, since these were guerrilla grows in deep cover) than 16. But once bitten, twice scarred shy and all that.

Ya the 12/12 hour lighting doesn't matter as much outdoors, as in in May and June we get more red light from the sun and after July 21st we start to get more blue light and daylight hours start to change causing flowering.( So I've read) I'd have to look but i don't think we get 12/12 day light hours till end of October. But i did notice around first half of August my plant grew hairs so it would make sense.

My father used to sex seeds by rolling them down an incline. Those that went in a straight line and made it all the way to the end were the male seeds, and those that wandered off the sides to look at things along the way, were the females. He was more accurate in this than I like to think about.
---Emmers

LOL

Here's what they look like! you can tell the difference in phenotype of the Columbian Skunks!
The GF Kush is staying short, took longer to show hairs.

Attachments

• SC1.JPG
    SC1.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 2C1.33.JPG
    2C1.33.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 29
  • GF KUSH 1.JPG
    GF KUSH 1.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 23
  • SATIVA.SC2.PHENO.JPG
    SATIVA.SC2.PHENO.JPG