From veg to bloom and back to veg

Amber Trichomes

420 Member
Hey all how's it growing,
I have a few plants that I have grown from seed and I just finished sexing them. This will be my second attempt at growing a mother plant. The first one was a white widow I cut eight clones out and set my lights back to 18/6 from 11/13 but couldn't get them to revert back to veg.
I was reading up on this and found that if I switch the lights back and CUT all the little flowers and pisols off it will revert back to veg and it did.
There must be another way other than topping and chopping the plant.
Tx in advance

Hey all how's it growing,
I have a few plants that I have grown from seed and I just finished sexing them. This will be my second attempt at growing a mother plant. The first one was a white widow I cut eight clones out and set my lights back to 18/6 from 11/13 but couldn't get them to revert back to veg.
I was reading up on this and found that if I switch the lights back and CUT all the little flowers and pisols off it will revert back to veg and it did.
Tx in advance
Good morning @AmberTrichome hope you are having a good day my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
Photo period plants produce a hormone when left in the dark.
When they have 12 hrs accumulation of this hormone they change from veg to flower.
This replicates the fall period when the sun light hrs diminish.
When you give your lady 18 hrs of light it can't produce enough hormone to sustain flower so they revert back to veg.
The fastest way to revert to veg would be 24 hr light.
Clipping pistols will help.
But it's the light that controls her growth stage.
Just turn off your timer and leave your light on.

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

I have not tried cutting the flowers off so I don't know much about that method.. I do remember that if I am trying to have it happen, well, it seems it takes forever to switch back. I found it easier to just stick the plant or plants in the corner and spend the next several weeks working on other plants. I figure it is human nature that the more we look at something waiting for it to happen, the longer it takes.

A couple of things to try is to kick up the strength of the lights. Lower the lights or raise those plants up closer if possible. Even if the length of time the lights are turned on is long enough the intensity might not be strong enough.

What has worked really well for me is to stick them outside where they can get summer sunlight. They did not have to be in full sun all day long. It seemed that 6 hours of direct sun with a few hours of dappled shade was enough and within 2 to 3 weeks they had started to revert back. As mentioned, putting them somewhere out of the way so I do not keep checking them for progress seems to work great.

There was a thread on this topic yesterday and the photos show the re-veg process taking place even with the flowers staying on the plant. Here is the link>>>

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/dosido-clone-super-cropping-i-guess.514423/#post-5555978

Good morning @AmberTrichome hope you are having a good day my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
Photo period plants produce a hormone when left in the dark.
When they have 12 hrs accumulation of this hormone they change from veg to flower.
This replicates the fall period when the sun light hrs diminish.
When you give your lady 18 hrs of light it can't produce enough hormone to sustain flower so they revert back to veg.
The fastest way to revert to veg would be 24 hr light.
Clipping pistols will help.
But it's the light that controls her growth stage.
Just turn off your timer and leave your light on.

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill
So just put it back to 24 hr light schedule and be patient, what if I run 18/6 would that do it ?

Yes. As s.w. Mentioned, I concur that the best way to get a reveg is to, first, make sure there is still some vegetation on the plant,, in a few places, then stick it in a normal lit room, veg room perhaps, and let er be,,

it will,

it won't

Will karma sent friend

Edit, I have only ever had one reveg success, and it took four or five weeks to show new growth as I recall

Cutting off the flowers is added stress for the cutting and a placebo effect for the grower. You can use 24 hour light for 2 days. That will flush the flowering "hormones" and start the production of "veg" hormones. You can then reduce down to 18 hour days. The pistols may stay on during the entire veg growth. As long as it is growing veg and not more flower you are good.

Hey all, tx for your help.
I'm starting to see the process in the clones and the mother. I won't be cutting again, since I'm on the topic. Could I if I chose to do so bud the mother out at a later date ?

Hey all, tx for your help.
I'm starting to see the process in the clones and the mother. I won't be cutting again, since I'm on the topic. Could I if I chose to do so bud the mother out at a later date ?
Good morning @Amber Trichomes :ciao:
Yes you can keep the mother as long as you want under 18/6.
When you are finished taking clones from her you can put her into 12 / 12 and flower her again.
Until the flowering hormonecis gone from her growth now will be different.
She will grow funky for a month at first , and throw single bladed leaves until she is in full veg again.
Happy growing.

Stay safe
Bill

Could I if I chose to do so bud the mother out at a later date ?
Once it it back in the vegetating stage you could take more cuttings and put it under a 12/12 lighting schedule and harvest 8 to 10 weeks later. And, if you want you could put the plant back under a vegetating light schedule and start over.

Over the last couple of years I have read several threads where the grower has told us that he or she has done this several times with the same plant.

Make sure there is leaf growth on the plant when putting back under a vegetating light schedule. Cutting off all the buds and trying to re-veg without the leaves to continue photosynthesis seems like it will really slow down the process. I have tried this when I left a bunch of popcorn buds with their sugar leaves down near the bottom of the plant after taking the canopy off. While it lasted a long time it was not enough and eventually died. It will need some leaf growth already there to provide energy.

You can flip back and forth from veg and flower. After the plant is fully into veg and growing good you should then cut off the old flowers. If they are still there for a second flowering they can stress. Stressed flowers can hermi. I've had clones die so I took cuttings from week 4 of flower. You get crazy looking plants for a bit but they grow out of it to be normal plants. Normally I take cuttings at week or two into flower. The revert pushes my veg time longer. My flower time is 10+ weeks so it balances my rotation.

Hi @Amber Trichomes , and welcome to the forum!

I'm an outdoor greenhouse grower... here's my perspective regarding veg, flower, and cloning, for photoperiod plants...

I think almost all indoor growers rely on an ON/OFF schedule for their photosynthetic lighting (mimicking the sun). For example, 18/6, 12/12, etc. Outdoor, I'm using photoperiod lighting to control flowering. My point is, if you used photoperiod lighting indoors, then you wouldn't need to worry about specific ON/OFF schedules. For example, you could have an ON period of 12 hours or less, and still keep your plants in veg, until you turn off the automatic photoperiod lighting. I don't know how useful this is, unless you wanted to use less electric power.

If you just finished sexing your seedlings, they are of course in veg and will be in veg for a good while. In my veg greenhouse, I force my plants to stay in veg using photoperiod lighting, until they pretty much stop growing vertically, or a bit before that (it's flexible). This is when I take my cuttings for clones. Sometimes I'll keep a mother in the veg house, but usually just immediately move her to the flowering house after taking cuttings. (I have a perpetual grow, and I am cloning the clones.) When I take cuttings, I am cutting the ends of main branches that are middle to upper-middle of the plant – I typically don't top the plants and use those cuttings for clones. I don't take cuttings from upper branches, because that's where the biggest buds develop.

If done this way, the clones remain in the veg house, and stay in veg. The mother plants go to the flowering house and flower out (there's no lighting in the flowering house). There is no reverting going on.

By "photoperiod lighting" I mean inexpensive LED light bulbs that come on automatically 3x in the night at midnight, 2am, and 4am, and give the plants a blast of a few minutes of light each time. I use 13w daylight spectrum LED bulbs for this. This method is called "night interruption," and it works 100% to keep plants in veg, provided you are using enough bulbs to give light to all parts of your plants. The blasts of light cause the flowering hormone to "reset", thus preventing the start of flowering. Sometimes the very lowest branches may flower, because the light can't reach them; however, this is not a problem.

If your plants are indoor, and all in one room/tent, then obviously they are getting the same lighting regimen – whether mother plants or clones – so either they will all be in veg, or they will be in flower (those that are old enough to be in flower). Remember that clones are the same age as the mother plant.

If you happen to encounter the situation where little clones start to flower, you can carefully clip off the flowers and give them photoperiod lighting to return them to veg.

Back
Top Bottom