Earliest you can bud/flower Cannabis to sex?

HydroponicFireman

What is the earliest you can flower/bud a plant in order to sex it and get the males out? I have a few that are a couple weeks old and would like to sex them ASAP and then revert them back to veg as soon as the males are identified and pulled out. I dont want to overly stress the plants but do plan on vegging them a while to make up for it.

The plant first has to become mature so that it can develop and use its sex organs. Watch your nodes as they form symmetrically until around the 5th or 6th node and then the branches start alternating, one on the right, one on the left... About this time you will start being able to tell, without going to flower first. The girls start showing first, but soon the boys will follow...
If you check on your plants every day, they should not be able to surprise you with anything and you should easily be able to cull them before flower. Just relax and enjoy the show... you were planning on vegging for a while anyway, and by the end of this run you will no longer have any fears or questions about sexing your plants in time for flower.

Thanks for the reply but on this grow I wanted to test out flowering and re-vegging since I have never done that method before. I want to be 100% sure by flowering a week or two instead of wasting time and resources on 50% of them being males. I'll be growing them rather big and only want females on this crop since I have a good amount of seeds already from the last crop.

Is 6 nodes the beset to wait for before flowering? So about a month or so? I'm curious as to how quickly you can make them go to bud so that the twisted, stressed leaves will be at the bottom and cut off by the time I flower for real.

since you have room and time, this is a extra effort that really isnt necessary, but sure.. once they are giving you alternating nodes, throw them into some 12/12 light for a week and you should see them start to turn... then just bring the girls back to the veg tent and give them a week to reconvert... they may stretch a bit and you lose about 2 weeks of aggressive veg time.

No problem on the vegging, my last crop vegged for about 7 months :) They were as tall as me! LOL I think they were 6ft tall and about 5.5 ft wide, actual weed bushes! I'd rather have a few huge plants than many small ones. To speed it up I may just go completely dark for 24 -48 hrs and then 12/12.

I have never re-vegged before and am experimenting with new techniques and am unsure of exactly how quickly they can go to bud. They have about 6 nodes now and are only a few weeks along past their first true leaves. Maybe its time :cool:

Will do, I will post them in this thread hopefully within a month. I'll post the pertinent details such as the flower stage, BRUTAL elimination of the males, re-vegging stage and a little recoup time....it may be a long veg cycle after reverting back :) I may just tack that on later as well during some harvest down time.

Is there a better way to determine sex without cloning? If you clone it would still be about a few weeks before you can even flower and determine sex, right? It may be a waste of time but I haven't done it before and this is an experiment. I will be trying a few things on this crop that I have never done before just to get some more experience instead of just pumping out females for bud....I don't know where I could even store any more buds! :)

Eh, to be honest, I'm not so sure about the sexing in veg thing....I'm just not a believer, I guess.
well, in the hundreds of plants I have grown over the years, not one has ever surprised me going into flower. You just have to be patient... and if you are planning on a longer than 5 week veg anyway, it will be obvious who is who before you are done. Wait till you see how easy it is, and you will laugh at your earlier concerns in this matter.

you can start in 12/12 for 3 weeks, they will show sex, pull males, transplant into final container, top, flip to 18/6, veg for 4 weeks, flip to flower. u wont even notice any slowed growth if done correctly.

You can go veg to flower and back to veg again. Most of the time it is fine so long as they have a good amount of recovery time. Something to keep in mind for your females though. This can cause stress and one potential reaction if a female’s flower cycle is disrupted is hermaphroditism. I have seen female plants pop out a bunch of nut sacks and self pollinate.

You can go veg to flower and back to veg again. Most of the time it is fine so long as they have a good amount of recovery time. Something to keep in mind for your females though. This can cause stress and one potential reaction if a female’s flower cycle is disrupted is hermaphroditism. I have seen female plants pop out a bunch of nut sacks and self pollinate.

Good point, I will be keeping an eye on that, thanks for the input!

Thread has been started here: Whippersnapper Re-veg - A learning process [1st attempt]

Lets see how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom