Dank1231

Does this bud look mature enough to trim. I don't know much for this is my first time harvesting. What would be the worst that could happen if this was too early to harvest.
IMG_20151125_084418.jpg
IMG_20151122_165721.jpg

Yes that is way too early.

The worst is you don't get very high or you get a poor high not representative of the final results.

The plant really changes a lot in the final 2 weeks. The final high is a function of Multiple chemicals not just THC.

Page 2 of this thread I posted recently a bit of a description
Trouble finding seeds

And don't forget that drying takes a good 2 weeks or longer if you care to do it right. And you wont reach optimal potency until 2 months of curing after drying if you do it right but some will cure for 6 months for optimal potency. Any good medical shop wont take cannabis that is cured less than 2 months.

Do not get anxious and cut an early bud and throw it in the microwave.

Have to agree with Villageidiot here on that. Not ready yet.
One way to see for yourself a little easier is to pick up a pocket-microscope or a high powered jewelers loop. It will allow you to look up close and personal on the trichomes. The start out crystal clear and as they develop they turn milky white. You do not want to harvest until all these are milky white not just most of them. Once they reach peek, they will start turning a slight amber color, which is the deterioration of the trichome. Now this does not mean it is now becoming useless, it only means that it is peeked and now will start creating a different type of high. Depending on your preferences you want at least 5% of the trichomes to be amber to as high as 20% of them. Myself I harvest at 5%. As soon as I see around 5% of the trichomes turning amber I harvest, where as my brother holds out till almost 20% before he harvests his. He claims it is more stoney in his opinion.

Hey Dank, I can't see the pics very well because they come up tiny. However from what I gather they don't look ready just yet. You should get a 60-100x magnifier to check the trichs, if you can't then wait until about 70% of the white pistils or hairs on the bud turn brown. Would be very helpful if you knew the strain & what the flowering time is according to the breeder. How many days since you flipped?

If you harvest too early then it won't be potent enough & yield will suffer badly so its well worth getting it about right. Good luck.
:peacetwo:

I believe this is a double post.

But since we answered elsewhere and I was meaning to go back and say something more I will just add it here.

Another just "rule of thumb" to get you in the ball park is to understand what a bud actually should look like. I am going to assume you have seen your fair share of buds that are good product. They do not have a pointy cone like appearance. When the buds are fully mature they will have filled out and look more even in size more like a sausage than a cone. Your pics show buds with still unfilled out brand new top growth. So cutting it down anytime soon is going to reduce your total yield by a lot.

Now if you mess things up this can vary a lot but I will post a pic I just pulled off google that shows what appear to be well shaped buds still drying.

:goodluck:

freshBuds.jpg

freshBuds2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom