Should i trim leaf tips for cuttings?

Strain Hunter

Alright guys :surf:, just a quick question, ive just took cuttings of my mothers for my first Chronic harvest and have got them in the propagtor supported by the clone colars only, should i trim the leaf tips of each cutting or not ?? ive seen this done before, but i have very little experance in this, can anyone help ? :thanks:

Re: Should i trim leaf tips for cuttings ???

So I understand u a little better, U took cuttings and placed in a propagator. The Aeroponic type or drip ring type? With aero I'd say no need to cut leaves. In a propagation tray w/dome, maybe. This would depend on how or if leaves overlapped or rested against tray or dome and ur RH. Leaves are primarily cut in half to prevent overlapping leaves from trapping moisture and harboring fungi and lowering transpiration; The passing of water (vapor form) through the stomata. Some growers believe that if u trim the lower leaves, it roots faster. I've had that experience as well. I've had success both ways. Hope this helped some.

So I understand u a little better, U took cuttings and placed in a propagator. The Aeroponic type or drip ring type? With aero I'd say no need to cut leaves. In a propagation tray w/dome, maybe. This would depend on how or if leaves overlapped or rested against tray or dome and ur RH. Leaves are primarily cut in half to prevent overlapping leaves from trapping moisture and harboring fungi and lowering transpiration; The passing of water (vapor form) through the stomata. Some growers believe that if u trim the lower leaves, it roots faster. I've had that experience as well. I've had success both ways. Hope this helped some.

You're always on the ball m8, and i :thanks: for it, cheers. Its an X-Stream propagtor (Aero), the cuttings are suppended via the collars, and used Clonex rooting gel, dipped once, should i dip them again ??? , im just a bit concerned about this method as ive never had any experance with it :thanks:

You're always on the ball m8, and i :thanks: for it, cheers. Its an X-Stream propagator (Aero), the cuttings are suspended via the collars, and used Clonex rooting gel, dipped once, should i dip them again ??? , im just a bit concerned about this method as ive never had any experience with it :thanks:

No aero experience, I use prop trays. If they're dipped in gel I doubt u'll need to reapply. I think the rooting hormone is absorbed. I'm not sure on how it works exactly. I figure if u can root a cut with 20% (I think that's the right #) then if its been dipped, is in a consistently high humidity environment, and getting prayed with a highly oxygenated mist it's off to a good start. Let's hear some other's thoughts on it.

I have been rooting clones for years in my own greenhouse busness and MJ and I have never used a cover or tent just plain old aircodationed air usualy dry and they never wilt. I never cut the leaves just leave 2 leaves and the growing tip. Dip once is all that is needed using gell. As far as cutting the leaves I only trim yellow or dyeing leaves during rooting. I have found to main thing weather rooting in a cloner or soil "get at least 2 leaf nodes below the soil line because that is where the big healthy roots will come from....not the small hair roots but the toothpick sized roots.

I have been rooting clones for years in my own greenhouse busness and MJ and I have never used a cover or tent just plain old aircodationed air usualy dry and they never wilt. I never cut the leaves just leave 2 leaves and the growing tip. Dip once is all that is needed using gell. As far as cutting the leaves I only trim yellow or dyeing leaves during rooting. I have found to main thing weather rooting in a cloner or soil "get at least 2 leaf nodes below the soil line because that is where the big healthy roots will come from....not the small hair roots but the toothpick sized roots.

Thanks m8, youve cleared a few things up for me, ya learn alot on this site thanks to long time growers like you so cheers m8, do you know how long it should take before i start to see results (ie roots) ?

Thanks m8, youve cleared a few things up for me, ya learn alot on this site thanks to long time growers like you so cheers m8, do you know how long it should take before i start to see results (ie roots) ?

My cuttings take 14 days weather soil or ezcloner. And thats 2 big clumps not just a start.

Here's what my ladies look like now.....12 clones and 2 mother clones.

week_3_flower.jpg

I have a 10 x 8 growing area with a 1.5 foot walk around the plants except in the back where the 2 clone mothers are at. I use a 12-2 gallon ebb and grow hydro system. I use a air scruber with 6 filters and the room is aircondationed by my central unit at about 75 to 80 degrees. In 25 years of growing indoors I have never had a mold or fungus problem because I grow in low to medum humidity. No bud rot or mold. And I use a switchable HD/HPS 1000 watt light.

clones of 1 year old mother....Dr Atomic Northern Lights

:thanks:for asking.

very nice m8, love the setup, when ever i get the funds i think im gona go for an ebb system myself, what wattage do you give your cuttings from day 1 ?

I grow my cuttings under a standard cool white light 4 bulb 4 foot fixture. I have closet on the grow room for 18 hours lights. Clones are keep at 18 hours for veg but when I bloom out a crop I put all my mother clones in the closet to slow them down for the 2 month blooming period.:Rasta:

I grow my cuttings under a standard cool white light 4 bulb 4 foot fixture. I have closet on the grow room for 18 hours lights. Clones are keep at 18 hours for veg but when I bloom out a crop I put all my mother clones in the closet to slow them down for the 2 month blooming period.:Rasta:

Cheers m8, its good to get an insite into others tequnics, im sure it will all come good for me :peace:

+1 on all that.

Especially the getting 2 nodes below the surface. I also just leave 2 leaves and the growing tip, no domes, tents or gizmos. Clonex gel and rooting solution, rockwool cubes, perhaps a clear plastic shoe box to put them in and 4 40W 4' flors is the whole shooting match.

I do keep the mothers on a high phos diet for nice firm strong cuttings. I've found over the years, too much N hinders getting good cuttings. Makes the new growth too soft and weak.

DD

Re: Couple Questions

Oldgrowerdude, can I get an answer?

Hi BWC I didn't sleep all night so I have been of line today.......In reference to the reflector, I like it a lot it spreads out to walls as you raise the light.

It's a 1000watt HPS bulb for Blooming. And yes heat is always an issue as with the 400watt or 600watt I have ran all of them.I have 1 exhaust fan in the ceiling above the fixture and the central air feeds fresh air into the room. I also leave the door to my room open to let fresh C02 in.

There is a oscillating fan blowing on the area between the plants and the lamp this helps a lot.:ganjamon:

Im in here all day usualy all day.......thanks Weed!

gettin_tall1.jpg

starts_of_buds.jpg

Back
Top Bottom