Leaf tips rolling up

Failwyn

Does anyone have any idea what causes the leaf tips to roll up like this?

B0E1C0DE-77B4-4458-972E-AA0FFD6AEFBC.jpeg

Based on the yellowing leaves, I figured I had either a Nitrogen or Sulfur deficiency, I was using a bit less nutrients than the packaging recommended based on some user reviews, last feeding I switched to the recommendation on the Fox Farm bottles; the tips have been brown for a while, but after the middle leaves started going yellow, they just started to roll up…

230B0D49-FCFE-4B8D-B243-7E1C6336A0DD.jpeg

Basically, there's three reasons for the leaf tips turning brown/curling. Too much water, to little water, excess fertilizer. The big, older, fan leaves yellowing isn't really concerning, they have a tendency to die off when the plant starts to flower, some strains more than others. Now, if the new growth starts turning yellow, then there's an issue. Might be a little bit of light stress too, I think I see some slight canoeing of the leaves. What kind of lights and how far away from the plant are they? Overall, the plants look quite good!

You are not using your FF nutrients correctly. The dosages listed on the sides of the bottles are for outdoor use only... You need to download the feeding chart for your grow medium, and follow it strictly to the letter. No deviations simply because someone advised you. If that someone doesn't work for Fox Farms labs, ignore their advice. Anyone I have ever advised to follow those instructions to the slightest detail, has not only been surprised, but they have had amazing grows as a result.

Basically, there's three reasons for the leaf tips turning brown/curling. Too much water, to little water, excess fertilizer. The big, older, fan leaves yellowing isn't really concerning, they have a tendency to die off when the plant starts to flower, some strains more than others. Now, if the new growth starts turning yellow, then there's an issue. Might be a little bit of light stress too, I think I see some slight canoeing of the leaves. What kind of lights and how far away from the plant are they? Overall, the plants look quite good!
I have a Mars Hydro TS600 14 inches above the tallest bud. I removed the worst looking leaves; this is my first attempt, just hoping to get something usable from it. It flowered prematurely due to poor soil choice, so it didn’t get the flowering nutrients at the right time.

You are not using your FF nutrients correctly. The dosages listed on the sides of the bottles are for outdoor use only... You need to download the feeding chart for your grow medium, and follow it strictly to the letter. No deviations simply because someone advised you. If that someone doesn't work for Fox Farms labs, ignore their advice. Anyone I have ever advised to follow those instructions to the slightest detail, has not only been surprised, but they have had amazing grows as a result.
Do you have a link to their indoor recommendations? I’ve just been following what was on the bottle.

Do you have a link to their indoor recommendations? I’ve just been following what was on the bottle.
do a duckduckgo search (I don't use google) for "fox farm feeding schedule" and throw in the word soil or hydro. You will find 10 million copies ready to be downloaded. Make sure to follow it to the letter, including the soil flushes periodically that are noted on the chart. Use a feed/water/feed/water schedule if in soil and carefully adjust the pH of all of your incoming fluids to 6.3 pH. Do all of this, and Fox Farms will give you amazing grows.

do a duckduckgo search (I don't use google) for "fox farm feeding schedule" and throw in the word soil or hydro. You will find 10 million copies ready to be downloaded. Make sure to follow it to the letter, including the soil flushes periodically that are noted on the chart. Use a feed/water/feed/water schedule if in soil and carefully adjust the pH of all of your incoming fluids to 6.3 pH. Do all of this, and Fox Farms will give you amazing grows.
I’ve searched many times, most of the schedules I find are for a mix of 12-15 different nutrients or nonspecific to growing medium; I started following the bottle just because there are so many overly complicated or nonspecific results online.

// I use PH down to get all feedings and waterings to 6.3PH thanks to Bill

I have a Mars Hydro TS600 14 inches above the tallest bud. I removed the worst looking leaves; this is my first attempt, just hoping to get something usable from it. It flowered prematurely due to poor soil choice, so it didn’t get the flowering nutrients at the right time.
That should be about right. Your plants look good, keep it up, you'll get a decent yield. You're early in flower, nutes can still help. I have to assume it's an auto, since you said it went into flower prematurely, the only way that can happen is if it's an auto, or the light period is reduced to around 12 hrs./day

I’ve searched many times, most of the schedules I find are for a mix of 12-15 different nutrients or nonspecific to growing medium; I started following the bottle just because there are so many overly complicated or nonspecific results online.

// I use PH down to get all feedings and waterings to 6.3PH thanks to Bill
I did a search. I found it immediately. You should have 3 bottles, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom. Use this chart and figure out which week you are in, and mix accordingly.
fox soil chart.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what causes the leaf tips to roll up like this?

B0E1C0DE-77B4-4458-972E-AA0FFD6AEFBC.jpeg

Based on the yellowing leaves, I figured I had either a Nitrogen or Sulfur deficiency, I was using a bit less nutrients than the packaging recommended based on some user reviews, last feeding I switched to the recommendation on the Fox Farm bottles; the tips have been brown for a while, but after the middle leaves started going yellow, they just started to roll up…

230B0D49-FCFE-4B8D-B243-7E1C6336A0DD.jpeg
Very nice setup

That should be about right. Your plants look good, keep it up, you'll get a decent yield. You're early in flower, nutes can still help. I have to assume it's an auto, since you said it went into flower prematurely, the only way that can happen is if it's an auto, or the light period is reduced to around 12 hrs./day
They are Photoperiod, the seed bank said my poor choice of using Miracle Gro Moisture Control soil may have triggered flowering; they still refunded the cost of the seed.

Do you need to follow all 15 lines of this? I only have the Fix Farm trio and Cal-Mag… This is the overly complicated one I found.
it would be impossible for you to follow all 15 lines unless you bought all 15 products. You should have the base, the three mentioned before and conveniently in their own color right at the top of the chart. If you get bold and want to go to the next level in the Fox Farm Nutrient System, you will want to drop down to the bottom of the chart and use those products in purple too... They come in a convenient 3 pack and don't cost very much.... and that one purchase will get you through a couple of years of growing.

See the flush lines? This means that somewhere in there on one of your water only days, that you flush the soil. This means pouring 3x the container size of fresh water through the soil. Sitting the container on a screen on the toilet works well, as well as a bathtub with a filter on the drain. Some will tell you that this "flush" is not necessary, but I will stress right here at the outset of your new adventure that it is extremely important not to skip this step. Since you have not been giving the right dosages of stuff up till now, I strongly suggest that you start out tonight with one of these flushes, just to wash your previous mistakes out of the soil. After giving the flush I would give them overnight to settle down, and then that next morning I would mix up a bucket of the proper dosages for this week on the chart, and feed them all that they will take. Your plants will look fabulous before you know it.

it would be impossible for you to follow all 15 lines unless you bought all 15 products. You should have the base, the three mentioned before and conveniently in their own color right at the top of the chart. If you get bold and want to go to the next level in the Fox Farm Nutrient System, you will want to drop down to the bottom of the chart and use those products in purple too... They come in a convenient 3 pack and don't cost very much.... and that one purchase will get you through a couple of years of growing.

See the flush lines? This means that somewhere in there on one of your water only days, that you flush the soil. This means pouring 3x the container size of fresh water through the soil. Sitting the container on a screen on the toilet works well, as well as a bathtub with a filter on the drain. Some will tell you that this "flush" is not necessary, but I will stress right here at the outset of your new adventure that it is extremely important not to skip this step. Since you have not been giving the right dosages of stuff up till now, I strongly suggest that you start out tonight with one of these flushes, just to wash your previous mistakes out of the soil. After giving the flush I would give them overnight to settle down, and then that next morning I would mix up a bucket of the proper dosages for this week on the chart, and feed them all that they will take. Your plants will look fabulous before you know it.
Thanks for that clarification, this forum is a life saver! I’m going to start germinating my next seeds and follow that schedule to the T!

I always love your insight @Emilya , Awesome

Back
Top Bottom