Should I trim or not?

frojobagginz

Morning all!! Just a bit about the pics.. These beauties are 1 mth old as of today.. no issues as of yet.. Topped 8 days ago. ( my first time doing so and am pretty proud mama i might add haha):green_heart:

My question to all you veteran growers is ... they are getting pretty bushy ( which i think is gorgeous) just not sure if that is best for these gal. Should i trim up some of the huge lower leaves or just let them be?

I will be changing up water and nutrients today so if going to trim up id rather do it all at the same time..

Thanks in advance:peace:

Attachments

• 1556115622715995392326.jpg
    1556115622715995392326.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 1556115711520893274598.jpg
    1556115711520893274598.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 15561157612071436599373.jpg
    15561157612071436599373.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 15561157837521150006.jpg
    15561157837521150006.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 1556115807823884157255.jpg
    1556115807823884157255.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 139
  • 1556115828243815228839.jpg
    1556115828243815228839.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 115
I am about to put mine into flower and I did a medium defoliation because so many bud sites were being obscured. It seems like they are doing fine. They dont seem to be replacing any leaves, just growing out the ones I left.
Your plant has yet to stretch between the nodes which will expose the bud sites by quite a lot. Two or 3 weeks into flowering when stretch has finished,you can make a better assessment.

ok i will hold off and just tie back to open it up and let the light shine in.. i guess bushy is better than lanky at this point.. lol thank you
Yes, bending is good. If you give it a shake enough to flex the plants branches for say 10 seconds every day, you can mimic the wind and make the stems stiffer in readiness for carrying the buds. The shaking breaks some of the fibres and makes them woody.

Yeah as the guys have said there, best not to start yet. Few more nodes though and shell be bushy as hell. Couple weeks maybe. Then trimming comes in handy to get light into the lower stuff to boost it up.

Few rules though.

No1. Don't take off anything that isn't blocking light to somewhere you'd like to grow. No point, it's just cutting of an energy source.

No2.Don't cut both leaves off one node. Do too much of it and they grow shit.

And no3. As with all things weedy, start light and get a feel for it before you do anything drastic. Few leaves here and there till you see how they react. Some strains love it, others don't.

Personally I trim the living shit out of my plants constantly but gotta start small and figure out for yourself how much you can get away with. You'll see how they react and grow in different areas.
Just a bit of trial and error mate.
As long as you don't take the piss and leave them naked, most strains enjoy a fair bit of chopping. :)
Looks sweet though .

I suppose your right. The stretch would have opened it up considerably. I felt I didnt have a lot of choice though because I'm not ready to flip them yet and they were so bushy they were getting a lot of dead leaves. I thought it best to remove the dead and dying leaves. Now I'm not so sure.

I suppose your right. The stretch would have opened it up considerably. I felt I didnt have a lot of choice though because I'm not ready to flip them yet and they were so bushy they were getting a lot of dead leaves. I thought it best to remove the dead and dying leaves. Now I'm not so sure.
Depends why they're dying mate. If the plants sucking all the nutes out of them for whatever reason then cutting it off will just move the problem.
If they're dying because of lack of light then yes just chop them off. They'll die anyway, just a waste of resources that could be used elsewhere.

A light rail? What is it and where is the best place/website I can research these?
It's rail with a small motorised hanging unit that you hang a light off that hangs of the ceiling. They are for room grows because I think their tracks are 2m+. They just slowly move backwards and forwards, kind of imitating the sun's movement by adopting different lighting angles as time passes and that allows light to get in the dark spaces as it passes.

With a static light plants adopt the best leaf configuration to maximise light absorption at the top resulting in blocking out the lower leaves. I think this is why leaf-pruning is a thing in indoor grows. The other advantage is you can cover more area with more plants with less lights. Google: 'light rail plants' They are called 'light movers as well.

I have a ww auto with hand sized fan leaves and was considering trimming them but held off and now the buds are poking up through them. Bottom fan leaves are now dying on their own while plant is flowering profusely. I pull or cut them off as they turn discolored and die.

I have a ww auto with hand sized fan leaves and was considering trimming them but held off and now the buds are poking up through them. Bottom fan leaves are now dying on their own while plant is flowering profusely. I pull or cut them off as they turn discolored and die.
mine are not autos they are feminized and i cant get over the size of the leaves and the bushiness..lol Just now starting to get taller..

Back
Top Bottom