Shouldn't Seeds Sold From UK Be Cheaper When Bought By USA Customers?

I've just been "virtual window shopping" for cannabis seeds on some websites of businesses located in the UK. As such, they default to being priced in British pounds. So I've had to switch currencies to US$. When I did... the prices appeared to be about the same. <SCRATCHES HEAD> Shouldn't things be cheaper when purchased by us from UK businesses than when purchased by their domestic customers? They have to pay VAT over there - but we don't. Or is VAT calculated separately when someone makes the purchase, like our state sales tax is?

This web page - which is on a United Kingdom government website, therefore one assumes it to be accurate - seems to strongly infer that prices already include VAT (as opposed to customers being charged it as a separate entry at checkout).

If that's the case, then UK cannabis seed businesses might be charging everyone VAT.

Interesting question! Not real familiar with VAT, but it may have to due with where the purchase is considered to have taken place. If in the US, and you buy seeds from a British supplier did the transaction take place in the UK, or in the US? Do you get charged state sales tax on your seed purchases? If not I believe that the transaction is considered to have occurred in the UK, so by extension VAT would apply, however, I am not a global tax expert, I just play one on TV (LOL).

VAT is a point of sale tax, irrespective of where the customer is located, as the vendor pays VAT on all of his sales
Since sellers are providing a service, VAT is applicable
Should you have a valid case, you can then apply for a rebate in April, ie write it off :confused:
No wonder the cash economy is very much alive and well in the UK

I'm aware that in the past, American tourists had to show their passports at point of sale in London to avoid tax...
How that works in a virtual world....:hmmmm:

Alot of 'Uk seed companies' are actually based in Spain where cana regulations are better.
Then just have a UK trading address.

UK mailing address. Servers located (variously) in the UK and... USA :rolleyes: .

I just did a little more searching/reading, and - apparently - if a USA citizen goes there in person and buys something, VAT is supposed to be collected, but if I purchase online and the product is exported from the UK to the USA... the seller is not supposed to collect VAT.

I just did a little more searching/reading, and - apparently - if a USA citizen goes there in person and buys something, VAT is supposed to be collected, but if I purchase online and the product is exported from the UK to the USA... the seller is not supposed to collect VAT.
I read the same thing, but that article was from 2017, then I read a newer press release that said since the 2020 "Brexit," VAT is collected on both in-person and on-line sales in the UK (it brought in about 2 billion extra pounds in taxes).

I read the same thing, but that article was from 2017, then I read a newer press release that said since the 2020 "Brexit," VAT is collected on both in-person and on-line sales in the UK (it brought in about 2 billion extra pounds in taxes).
I assure you we haven't seen any of that extra 2 billion :laugh:

Is that for both domestic and foreign customers, or just domestic, though?

Is that for both domestic and foreign customers, or just domestic, though?
The more I read, the cloudier it gets. Some articles say no only in the UK, others say the opposite, most don't have dates on them, and I can't locate the original one I found. I know much changed after Brexit, but I wouldn't bet money on it either way! To me it's a mute point, I don't buy from UK suppliers.

I was just window shopping, more or less. But I've had good deadlines (EDIT: WtF?! F*cking Samsung virtual keyboard app... dealings, FFS) with both The Vault and Gorilla Seeds. Decent prices, good selection, and not subject to US search & seizure laws, lol. Plus, they've both been kind to me ;) .

I was just window shopping, more or less. But I've had good deadlines with both The Vault and Gorilla Seeds. Decent prices, good selection, and not subject to US search & seizure laws, lol. Plus, they've both been kind to me ;) .

Lots of good suppliers out there. I get my seeds from Spain. I always get at least twice as many seeds as I order, 90% or better germination rate, I can’t complain. Arrived about 8 days after I ordered. Not bad for international shipping.

Back
Top Bottom