Shrimp Boat Yields a Catch

Weedpipe

420 Member
The St. Tammany Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Task Force arrested four Slidell residents earlier this month, after deputies found two pounds of marijuana on a shrimp boat belonging to one of the suspects.

According to the Sheriff’s Office spokesman Capt. George Bonnett, an investigation turned up information that a drug deal was to happen in the early evening of Oct. 1. Task force agents followed two of the suspects, Gary Longo, 51, and Yvonne Murray, 46, who live together at 3148 Duncan St. in Slidell, to a shrimp boat that was docked in a slip along Salt Bayou Road. Deputies witnessed a suspected drug transaction taking place between Longo, Murray and the boat’s owner Shawn Horaist, 43, 1402, Breckenridge Drive, Slidell and Richard Estain, 45, 4903 Pontchartrain Drive, Slidell.

After Longo and Murray left the boat they were stopped by agents at a gas station near Louisiana Highway 433. Authorities searched the car and found a half-pound of marijuana.

Meanwhile, other agents questioned Horaist and Estain as they got off the shrimp boat. Deputies searched the two suspects and found one pound of marijuana on each of their persons. Bonnett said authorities also found $3,000 in cash on Estain and $14,000 in cash on Horaist.

The suspects gave the task force permission to search their homes. Agents found two pounds of marijuana in Horaist’s home, and a few ounces of marijuana at both homes of Estain and Longo. Deputies also found drug paraphernalia at all three homes, Bonnett said.

All four were arrested and charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

All four have been released on bond, Bonnett said. However, he said the investigation is not over and there will be more arrests.

The Narcotics Task Force is made up of deputies from the Sheriff’s Office, and police officers from the Slidell and Mandeville police departments.

Bonnett added that in the search, no shrimp were found on the boat.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: St. Tammany News
Author: Erik Sanzenbach
Copyright: 2009 St. Tammany News
Website:News : Shrimp boat yields a catch of marijuana and four arrests : St. Tammany, LA

How much did all that "policing" work cost? How much will it cost to lock them up for several years. How much will be spent on lawyers and trial? What a bloody waste of money and time and the taxpayer has to foot the entire bill.

But what if these guys are selling to kids under 18 personally I think canabis should have the same restrictions as cigarettes or alcohol and the guys who had it if they are trafficking it and even one gram went to a minor should be prosecuted the same as a liquor store or a store that sells cigarettes to minors wich is pretty damn strict. Loss of licences to sell smokes to the stores and liquor store just shut down and both fined a ton of cash as well as possibly the owners spending time in jail if they ar eknowingly selling to minors. But if they are selling only to adults then the only crime I see is Tax evasion isnt that what they sent Al capone to jail for when he was selling alcohol during prohibition. But you know why a drug dealer will never be charged with tax evasion ??? Its cause then the goverment would be making the first step towards legalizing it and that would be by saying hey you made money from that and we want our share! And I personally think that Capone going to jail was the first step towards the end of prohibition of alcohol was when they sent a man to jail for not sharing the profits wich is the same as saying hey its okay with us as long as we get our share. I wonder if we all sent a check for 5$ to the federal revenue agency and wrote in the memo box tax from purchase of canabis and see if they cash it. If they do then we could just walk up to any member of the goverment and make citizen arrests for them taking proceeds of what they call a crime. And Its not likely they will try and arrest every single pro canabis person in canada who did this as the cost for trying to arrest us all for buying a gram would probably break the goverment pretty fast as well as if they didnt cash them they would know its a political statement.

We already know the Government in Canada is very willing to take your tax money on the sale of seeds, but that has not stopped them from screwing over Marc Emery. So it is a nice idea, it just does not do anything concrete. I guess you could have tried to make a citizen's arrest in the years Marc filed his taxes, but that is over. Any other ideas on how to pressure the government?

Has anyone ever even tried to bring the canadian revenue up on charges of accepting proceeds of crime though or even thought of it before because if they have I hadnt heard of it. And by allowing him to be extradited they are In essence admitting he is a criminal and the paper trail shows they accepted the money as legal taxes and not proceeds of crime confiscated. So that would that make them accessories after the fact wouldnt it. I know if you or I were to be given money from a criminal act and didnt report and turn in the money we would be guilty of a crime if they can prove it in court. But he is was extradited for exporting seeds into america and canada took the taxes he submitted from this so they did infact help him break american laws by not stopping him and also taking a share of the cut.But the US will never try and hold the entire canadian goverment responsible .

I don't know what it is like now, but in the old days, the Mexicans would bring out booze, women and weed to the shrimpers on the Tampico Banks.
And please leave the "what about the kids" out of it. That argument has been used to death. "If stores are allowed to open on Sunday, what about the kids?"
Two pounds most likely will not cover the cost of fuel for the boat. But now a cop may get a cheap shrimp boat at the auction, and a couple of families will face increased hardship. What will happen to the kids?

I don't know what it is like now, but in the old days, the Mexicans would bring out booze, women and weed to the shrimpers on the Tampico Banks.
And please leave the "what about the kids" out of it. That argument has been used to death. "If stores are allowed to open on Sunday, what about the kids?"
Two pounds most likely will not cover the cost of fuel for the boat. But now a cop may get a cheap shrimp boat at the auction, and a couple of families will face increased hardship. What will happen to the kids?

Well I am a father and I have told my 15 year old son that when he is old enough to drink then if he wants to try cannabis I wont stop him but untill he is 19 I would kick his ass if I catch him with it as far as I am concerned recreational drugs such as tobbaco and it is a drug/alcohol and cannabis should only be used by by legal adults. Face it when your an adult nobody can make your decisions for you or should but when you are a minor you do need guidance and discipline my father was the same way although he never smoked cannabis a day in his life he told me 30 years ago when I was 15 the same thing when I am 19 and old enough to drink then I am old enough to make up my mind about if I want to try cannabis. But seriously I really do think that if cannabis is made legal there definetly should be a minimum smoking age same as drinking beer.And I am not saying its bad to use cannabis as I smoke it but I do feel and always feel that minors shouldnt smoke cannabis not just because they are young but alot of the kids I knew when i was 15 who smoked pot didnt know how to act and were idiots always walking around have to mention how stoned they were every 10 seconds as loud as they can . Come on you must remember those kind of kids the "I AM SO STONED !" kids who get there friends busted cause they act like the way they make herb smokers out to be in the movies because they think thats what is expected. In other words immature and not ready to partake of something that isnt just about getting stoned it also is a great healer of pain and other illness, but it expands creativity and imagination, but at least 80% of the teenage smokers i knew growing up acted like asses when they got high .

^
I agree completely. Its not for kids. Its 420 Magazines stance as well.

I figured as much its just when earlier in the thread when I pointed out that the guys on this boat were more then likely commercial sellers and not using it medicinaly and more then likely in my opinion at least there is a very good chance that some of it may end up in the hands of minors which is not acceptable but until the govt makes it so we can choose to grow our own for personal use at home there will always be those who will sell it to the young. But once its made legal and we can all grow it for ourselves the majority of the dealers if not all will close up shop cause lets face it if we can grow it for free the majority of there customers will be gone and kids dont have much money and unless they want to sell dime bags by the hundreds there is no profit and nothing but danger and trouble . So I personally feel untill this happens there will always be illegal sales and more and more end up in the hands of minors make it legal and the only way minors will get it is if they grow there own ,steal it from there parents (easily prevented by a few locks and a solid door on your storage pantry or if you have the money a safe. But keep it illegal and it will always intrigue the young because the easiest way I have found to get my kids to do things is by telling them they arent allowed because they are too young its the nature of teen angst to rebel against all authority make it legal and put the majority of growing in the hands of the people who will also use it for there own needs wich will more then likely be the parents who lets face it can make a kids life more miserable then the cops catching them with a couple grams cause a 15 year old gets caught with a gram and he gets a fine some probation and some community hours max from the law . Let his parents catch him with the same gram and he is grounded no phone no internet no friends over or going out for a couple months maybe more and then it becomes more like jail to them. But give them probation and 15 hours community work and a 100$ fine and most teenagers will do the work and the hours and if they dont have a job we the parents pay the fine so all in all its more an inconvienience than anything when the law punishes them but let the parents set punishment and you have a whole different picture,

Lots of people don't understand the tax code. The law says you owe income tax regardles of whether or not it was derived from a lawful source. Drug dealers get charged, tried, convicted and sentenced every day that the Federal courts are open.

Hey Cateros, what if these guys were taking newborn infants, killing them, stuffing their bodies with pot in order to smuggle it more effectively? What if these guys were actually cannabis haters, and intended to lace the cannabis with cyanide in order to take out a bunch of potheads? If behavior is criminal, you charge and convict based on the act, not on the potential mischief the miscreant could create with 'possible' actions. Based on possible outcomes, jaywalking could be argued into a capital crime, because the jaywalker might get pissed when the cop starts writing a ticket and murder him. You do agree that cop killing is worthy of the death penalty, right?

Lots of people don't understand the tax code. The law says you owe income tax regardless of whether or not it was derived from a lawful source. Drug dealers get charged, tried, convicted and sentenced every day that the Federal courts are open.

Quite right

In reality the government has attempted to use the tax code to ensnare us for years.

i.e. - the Marijuana Tax Stamp act; where you can be charged with a felony for failing to pay the tax on misdemeanor amounts of MJ (in certain states)

Longo and Murray presented one type of criminals, in this case, the Sheriff’s Office controled just in time, which makes me satisfied with this office, however, I am not familiar with it, can someone tells more about that.

Back
Top Bottom