Sizing light in grow tent

sadhu9

I grow in an XL 5x8x7 tent but only use half the sq. footage (5x5). Do I size my lighting on my grow area as if it was a 5x5 area and does the extra room in the tent affect my lighting? I have grown this way for several years using a 650w LED on a light rail which is supposed to equal a 1000w HPS. My harvests have been between a 1- 1/2 lbs a grow with 4 plants. Any ideas?

Well, you're giving up the "extra" reflectivity from having one wall three feet past where your effective garden area stops. And those 24 unused square feet are probably still receiving some of your garden's light, even if you take steps such as adding some sort of homemade reflector to the side of the panel nearest your unused space.

The mention of the light rail causes me to think you might have your light closer to the canopy than most folks who don't use such a device - which probably helps minimize the amount of light that is falling on something other than your plants. But you are probably still losing a measurable amount.

Have you considered trying to construct some sort of reflective wall/partition so as to contain the light within your actual garden footprint?

That's an idea that I have thought of but because of my RDWC setup it would be a hassle. But your right, if I want to stay within my footprint I should probably invest in a reflective wall. I just wondered if the light I'm losing to the space is minimal or not. Thanks for the reply, happy growing!

Correct, if you don't want the extra place been influenced by the light, you will need a wall. And a reflector cloth will always do awesome job since it will not only stop the light coming out, also will help the other side get better light output, increasing the par value. :circle-of-love:

Thanks for input. I have a grow tent divider I can custom fit for my system that should work.

Back
Top Bottom