Smart Pot-Chem 4 grow by Yarddog

Back to soil for a bit! :headbanger:

A few reasons why I'm going back to soil...shit I'm (as you probably are) stoned and just wrote a whole novel lol. Edit :tokin:

In a nutshell:
I love growing hydro but I want to do more than one plant. My tent has a 3'x20" footprint so one plant in dwc practically takes up the whole thing.
My goal is a 3 plant cycle SOG style grow, pulling one plant every 22 days or so. If I can get one oz dried each harvest I would be a happy camper. Soil allows me to this. In reality I'm already thinking 2 plants, harvesting every 32 days or so. With the footprint 2 plants would have one and half feet to grow outward. When I do the math for 3 plants it does not work out too well.

Each plant that goes into flower will be transplanted from a 1 gallon Smart Pot to a 3 gallon Smart Pot. Fox Farm Light Warrior is used for the clones then I will transplant to Happy Frog for flowering. Running GH FloraNova for nutes as usual.

I'm anxious to see how these Smart Pots do.

smart_pot_001.jpg

The Chem 4 clones when I brought them home
smart_pot_002.jpg

smart_pot_003.jpg

Beautiful cuttings from Oaksterdam, sold from Fruitridge Health and Wellness in Sacramento. I'm horrible with names but I think the guys name was Jason that helped me out, super chill. Highly recommend them! Their medicine is sooooo top notch! :tokin:

smart_pot_006.jpg

smart_pot_005.jpg

smart_pot_004.jpg

I'll start a journal once I get one of these girls into flower in 7 days!:grinjoint:

I'm with you 'dog. Hydro is fun cause it's like a chemistry experiment but in a small area it can be more trouble than it is worth. My main reason for going back to dirt this time is the flexibility to adjust locations within my cabinet and also to remove/relocate plants to another cabinet during the grow. I have to say my plants are doing as well (little too soon to say better) in the FFOF than they were in my hydro setup and I can also use many of the supplements in soil as well (silica blast, Roots Excelurator). My experience shows the biggest boost in performance during the second week- my assumption this was due to the roor development and hydro really kicking in. What I realized this time is that it was also when I switched over from 125wCFL to 250wMH. I have not seen any of the PH or burning issues I was concerned about (yet). Love that you can grow your meds legally. Good luck and send me a link if you're posting a journal.

I'm with you 'dog. Hydro is fun cause it's like a chemistry experiment but in a small area it can be more trouble than it is worth. My main reason for going back to dirt this time is the flexibility to adjust locations within my cabinet and also to remove/relocate plants to another cabinet during the grow. I have to say my plants are doing as well (little too soon to say better) in the FFOF than they were in my hydro setup and I can also use many of the supplements in soil as well (silica blast, Roots Excelurator). My experience shows the biggest boost in performance during the second week- my assumption this was due to the roor development and hydro really kicking in. What I realized this time is that it was also when I switched over from 125wCFL to 250wMH. I have not seen any of the PH or burning issues I was concerned about (yet). Love that you can grow your meds legally. Good luck and send me a link if you're posting a journal.

I hear ya jcool. Nice to read you are having good results in soil with the Ocean Forest. The lighting switch with good results is interesting, another example of how this plant feeds according to the light in it's environment.

I'm transplanting one tomorrow then 30 hours of darkness for her. Sunday she will start on 12/12. Should be starting a journal by then.

Thanks for the input! Good luck on your grow :goodluck:

Any update yet? I am interested to see how this turns out for you. I have a 5 by 5 grow lab that i just finished setting up and i just bought smart pots and have cali connections chem 4 on the way. Id love to see how the smart pots are treating you and am interest in how the chem turns out for you as well. Good luck bro!

Any update yet? I am interested to see how this turns out for you. I have a 5 by 5 grow lab that i just finished setting up and i just bought smart pots and have cali connections chem 4 on the way. Id love to see how the smart pots are treating you and am interest in how the chem turns out for you as well. Good luck bro!

Thanks IBG!

Been so into my WW grow I failed to take progress pics of the Chem 4 :tokin:55
5 by 5 grow area! I'm jealous my friend, very nice!

Here's some pics of what's going on as of today.

This clone was put in 30 hours of darkness over the weekend then started 12/12 Monday morning. Transplanted last week into a 3 gallon Smart Pot filled with Fox Farm Happy Frog. She was 7 1/2" when I put her into the 30 hour dark period. Almost 10" today.
chem_4_007.jpg

chem_4_009.jpg

The fan leaves are getting large fast
chem_4_010.jpg

Her sister vegging under some cfl's still.

chem_4_012.jpg

Look forward to a very pleasant 'skunky' smell with this chem 4 plant :yummy:

The lineage of the Chem 4 strain is a cool story too!

very nice man! Im interested to see what happens over the next 8 or 9 weeks. Looks like that chems going to be a little bush!! Hopefully she turns a good yield for you im stoked to see a preview of what i have in store for myself... times 16 :goof:

very nice man! Im interested to see what happens over the next 8 or 9 weeks. Looks like that chems going to be a little bush!! Hopefully she turns a good yield for you im stoked to see a preview of what i have in store for myself... times 16 :goof:

Thanks IBG +rep to you for the nice comments. Yeah she's a bushy little girl. These Oaksterdam clones where top notch for sure, very healthy. I wish I had the space to grow them to their potential, they seem like very fast growers.

Hope I don't disappoint and keep em healthy for your preview.

A few reasons why I'm going back to soil...shit I'm (as you probably are) stoned and just wrote a whole novel lol. Edit :tokin:

In a nutshell:
I love growing hydro but I want to do more than one plant. My tent has a 3'x20" footprint so one plant in dwc practically takes up the whole thing.
My goal is a 3 plant cycle SOG style grow, pulling one plant every 22 days or so. If I can get one oz dried each harvest I would be a happy camper. Soil allows me to this. In reality I'm already thinking 2 plants, harvesting every 32 days or so. With the footprint 2 plants would have one and half feet to grow outward. When I do the math for 3 plants it does not work out too well.

Each plant that goes into flower will be transplanted from a 1 gallon Smart Pot to a 3 gallon Smart Pot. Fox Farm Light Warrior is used for the clones then I will transplant to Happy Frog for flowering. Running GH FloraNova for nutes as usual.

I'm anxious to see how these Smart Pots do.

smart_pot_001.jpg

The Chem 4 clones when I brought them home
smart_pot_002.jpg

smart_pot_003.jpg

Beautiful cuttings from Oaksterdam, sold from Fruitridge Health and Wellness in Sacramento. I'm horrible with names but I think the guys name was Jason that helped me out, super chill. Highly recommend them! Their medicine is sooooo top notch! :tokin:

smart_pot_006.jpg

smart_pot_005.jpg

smart_pot_004.jpg

I'll start a journal once I get one of these girls into flower in 7 days!:grinjoint:

Hey YARD....I live in the area as well and found out today that a guy I know is the director there at Fruitridge H & W....I'm just about ready for my clones and will head there to check out their selection.

We have similar setups...smart pots, ff soil, same grow space..

I'll be watching this one....:popcorn:

:bravo:

Hey giantsfan24-good to hear neighbor! Fruitridge H&W is (in my opinion) one of the best in Sacramento. Check out their website for daily menu updates, they are always getting clones in. Tell your buddy they are doing things right. I'm actually attending a grow class there on the 25th of January at 6 pm to soak up as much info as I can, check it out if you have time.

Lmk when you get your grow started. This is my first try with smart pots and only my third dirt grow...if you count my first, total disaster grow. I always like to see what others are doing :grinjoint:

I'll keep some updates coming until I get the journal started.

Hey giantsfan24-good to hear neighbor! Fruitridge H&W is (in my opinion) one of the best in Sacramento. Check out their website for daily menu updates, they are always getting clones in. Tell your buddy they are doing things right. I'm actually attending a grow class there on the 25th of January at 6 pm to soak up as much info as I can, check it out if you have time.

Lmk when you get your grow started. This is my first try with smart pots and only my third dirt grow...if you count my first, total disaster grow. I always like to see what others are doing :grinjoint:

I'll keep some updates coming until I get the journal started.

That's good to hear. I had been hearing negative things about Fruitridge and I'm glad you think so highly of them.

Grow class, huh? That would be awesome to attend. I'll check out the website..let's stay in touch, yo...

;)

The last two grows I did in Smart Pots and I am super impressed by them. Many growers on the forums use the Smart Pots, Air Pots, or Roots Organics pots, which all seem to work very well. Just curious as to why you are using a 1 gallon Smart Pot. I always use 3 gallon. The way I see it, the plant needs to veg for 4 weeks and flower for a minimum 8 weeks. I was taught a plant needs 1 gallon of soil per month alive. That is why I always use the 3 gallon variety. I thought 1 gallon were used hempy/ and or ebb-n-flow drain table hydroponics?

The last two grows I did in Smart Pots and I am super impressed by them. Many growers on the forums use the Smart Pots, Air Pots, or Roots Organics pots, which all seem to work very well. Just curious as to why you are using a 1 gallon Smart Pot. I always use 3 gallon. The way I see it, the plant needs to veg for 4 weeks and flower for a minimum 8 weeks. I was taught a plant needs 1 gallon of soil per month alive. That is why I always use the 3 gallon variety. I thought 1 gallon were used hempy/ and or ebb-n-flow drain table hydroponics?

Hey Growing, good to hear you are getting good results from the smart pots.

The one gallon pots are to get my clones started in Fox Farm Light Warrior. The plant in flower was transplanted to a 3 gallon filled with FF Happy Frog...post #5 covered that :thumb: If I had the floor space I would use 5 gallon smart pots.

Is it just cloth ? Otherwise i would make it myself. Seems logical that it works better as air can pass right trough it and ?exsess?(the water that is to much) water will come out.

It's more like a felt type material. I liken it to the real thick heavy duty weed block cloth, commercial landscapers use. The smart pots really aren't too much money, probably not worth the time and material to make. I think my 3 gallon was only $4.90.

Hey Growing, good to hear you are getting good results from the smart pots.

The one gallon pots are to get my clones started in Fox Farm Light Warrior. The plant in flower was transplanted to a 3 gallon filled with FF Happy Frog...post #5 covered that :thumb: If I had the floor space I would use 5 gallon smart pots.

It's more like a felt type material. I liken it to the real thick heavy duty weed block cloth, commercial landscapers use. The smart pots really aren't too much money, probably not worth the time and material to make. I think my 3 gallon was only $4.90.

I see said the blind man. If I had the space I would use 5 gallon also. 3 gallon is a good size but keep an eye on them because they seem to dry out fast. Especially if you have a dehumidifier in your grow room. I'm having to water every other day because my grow room has a lot of ventilation to combat the possibility of bud rot. Good luck on the Chem Dog grow. Chem Dog clones are hard to get around here. People treat them like they are the holey grail and rarely give them out or sell them. However, I am getting some OG Kush clones and will be growing those out along with some sour kush, Warlock, Hash plant, and Super Siliver Haze clones I got. :lot-o-toke:

Thanks, it seems that america is more advanced in some materials and methods than we are here.
And its only 2 years or so u can grow legally?

I don't know if we're more advanced rather than creation by necessity. Something like 14 or 15 states are now allowing cannabis to be used as medicine and as such, people are growing there own.

I don't know the status of using cannabis for medicine in the UK so I can't comment but if it still not legal there is a smaller economic opportunity.

Growing your own ensures knowing where the medicine is coming from and has spurred economic activity among those who are smart enough to see the opportunity ie..hydro shops. (in my area anyway)

I live in California and there are so many hydro shops in my area who supply so many growers with their supplies...many located right next door to cannabis dispensaries.

Every time I go into a hydro shop I get some great little tidbit of info either from the guy behind the counter or one of the other customers. I just stand around and listen.

The smart pots are made from thicker felt landscaping cloth. Smart pots are the brand name and you can find them online pretty much everywhere. Google it bro!

:goodluck:

Speaking of the Chem Dawg. I bought a Cali Connection "Chem Valley Kush" seed (clone only chem dawg x SFV OG Kush) from Single Seed Center. Well, today I came out to check on them and she sprouted along with my Blue Mystic. Kind of surprised me because I planted them a day after the other 4 seeds I planted. I hope they all break ground soon. I want at least 1 good mother. That seed was like 15 bucks!

Back
Top Bottom