Smelling my stash

Odorous

How come my bud smells like HAY???? Everytime I've grown it comes out smelling like hay, but i buy a saq of kindbud offa joe blow and it smells like gods vagina?.....

how does this work?

Re: Smelling my stash...

In my limited experience hay smell comes from either imature plants,poor genetics and the one i did twice before learning lol poor curing aka flash drying such as microwave ,oven toaster ect ect .but like i said limited experience but with the help of everyone here i have sucessfully turned out some pretty decent smoke my last couple of runs. Good luck

Rendrick:peacetwo:

Its easy:

As longs as the plant is living you will not be able to smell all the fiber and chlorophyl it has. Its just like with humans: You may smell their sweat or the parfume they ware but not all the living cells the person actually consists of.

When the plants are cut down, they start to decay. The outer regions dry out quickly, the closer to the stem or the more stem and leaves are attached to buds the slower the decay goes.

First the plant will just plainly dry out. But the sap that is deeply in the stem will distribute itself over all the dry parts over time to keep all parts equaly moist. The sap that goes to the outer regions evaporates very fast again, draining more and more sap out of the plant. If almost all sap has gone, the plant is bone dry.

This is the process we DONT want to have!!! This is the process that makes MJ smell like hay. -> We dont want dry MJ!

Instead we do this:
We let indeed dry the MJ for about 7 days but arround 50% hum and a temp above 18°C but below 25°C.

After that time we stop the drying and put them into Zip-Lock bags, which are not as airtight as glas jars. After a day you will notice that the buds are more wet than before. The inner sap has gone to the outer regions. Now we try to keep it there. We open the bags once a day for some minutes to completely exchange the air preventing mold. The evenly distibuted sap will make bacteria nom nom nom away the chlorophyl that covers the good MJ smell. You can actually wittness this because the herb will loose weight and change colour from green to "buddish".

This process is called curing and can be done as long as several months. Just let the MJ u are currrently not smoking cure in peace and only take the minimum u need out of the zip-lock-bags.

If you are a person with a reasonable budget and have no time to waste, buy some decent humidors (the boxes you use to keep classy cigars fresh). They have a special microclimate that prevents molding up to 70% humidity and the will cure your MJ in days.

German High Class Grower-Smokers only cure in humidors and the result is way above Amsterdam KoffieShop level.

Gonzo I disagree completely, drying should take 10-12 days. 55 F at 45% RH with lots of moving air. You want to have about 13-17% moisture in the buds when you cut the buds off the plant and go to jar. I have found in my experience that trimming before you hang will lead to less hay smell. I use the method I described and when they are hanging they don't smell a lot, but when you move or bump them it smells of somethin fierce.

Check out this thread
How to cure

Hmmmm... Id say there a more than just one method of drying/curing....

I always use this guidline and it works wonders:

"What is the best method for drying and curing?

To prevent bud mold spreading in your crop we advise to trim the buds from larger leaves and stalks straight after harvest. It is less work intensive and prevents damage to the trichomes to trim the buds while they are still fresh. If you like to preserve the large head buds they can be hung from a line after trimming. The small to medium trimmed buds can be spread out on any type of screen that promotes air passage such as mosquito mesh, simple meshed curtains, etc. Cheap plastic trays that can be connected to form towers with the bottom laid out with mesh work great. You can also spread out the mesh on a clothes dryer stand. A handy product for drying are the inexpensive and space saving hanging baskets sold at grow shops.

Even though the buds are lying flat out, if they have been trimmed properly they will retain a nice oval shape after drying. There is no need to turn them over while drying. Avoid any unnecessary handling so that the outer coating of resin is not rubbed off (most of the resin is contained in the bud however). Dry the buds at room temperature and normal humidity. Make sure the temperature does not drop too much to prevent mold. In case it does use a heater and small oscillating fan in the room to keep a good climate. Small to medium buds are usually dry enough for curing after 5-7 days. Larger head buds hung to dry require up to 12 days. Test the progress of drying by bending them. Even if the outside feels dry there is still enough moisture inside. Stems should be quite dry but still a bit bendable/supple. This is a good stage to start the curing process.

The most common mistake growers make during curing is that they pack the buds into airtight containers. The second mistake is to fill the bags/containers to the top. When you first pack the buds into a bag or container fill only ¾ of the space. One of the best methods to cure buds is to use household zip-lock bags for storing vegetables. These are aroma-neutral and allow a minimal exchange of gases through the bags since they are not completely impermeable like glass for example. Cardboard boxes and paper bags are an alternative but they have certain disadvantages, such as that the buds might dry to quickly in them.

The first week of curing excess moisture will pass from the inner core of the buds to the outside. You can tell the difference because the dry surface of the packed buds is suddenly considerably more moist again from absorbing the escaped humidity when you open the bag/container a day later. In an airtight environment there is no possibility for this moisture to escape and for the necessary exchange of gases required for a good curing process. During curing the gases and moisture escaping from the buds need to be vented and fresh oxygen should be available. For this reason, the bags/containers with the buds should be opened for a few minutes every 2-3 days. Gently rotating the buds from the bottom of the bag to the top assists in an even drying and curing process. This is quite difficult to do in glass jars but a simple procedure with zip-lock bags.

Curing normally takes 6-8 weeks. After the first two weeks it is not necessary to open the bags/container every few days – once a week will suffice. Buds can also mature beyond the regular 2 month period and gain in taste and potency. For extended curing they should be stored in a zip-lock bag in a cool, dark place. When the curing process is completed the buds can be stored in airtight packaging such as glass jars for long-term storage if required."

The Tip with humidors is vastly tested and considered top notch but they may be quite expensive if you get decent ones. Ebay helps....

Also: I considered trimming before drying/curing to be standard procedure.

Thats pretty much exactly how I dry and since most of my nugs are a few grams each I guess thats why it takes mine so much longer to dry. I always wait until there is a clean snap sound when stems are broken then into a jar they go. Pretty much exactly the way described above. I think I misread something you posted before Gonzo because after going back and reading again there isn't really anything I disagree with other then it generally takes me 10-12 days to reach desired moisture content in the herb, and I don't think plastic bags are a good idea because they don't protect the delicate flowers, what if you dropped a book on them or something? They'd be smooshed :grinjoint:! I haven't specifically set up a room for drying yet but its going to happen in the next 6 months, really if you are growing weight then you NEED to have a room designated and equip for drying properly. The drying process is critical, if it isn't done properly then curing doesn't benefit you nearly as much.

I was already wondering where the big differences should be ^^ Of course, if the buds are bigger they need some extra time. 7 days is like the minimum.

^^

Yeah, when your main colas are over 15g dry its going to take a bit lol.

Back
Top Bottom