Smokers with anxiety problems, maybe you can help?

MarkOfCainBand

*First off, if anything mentioned in here is against the rules sorry, but since I'm talking about things as they are supposed to be used (i.e. not abused) and they are legal, and it relates to weed, I think this is ok. Also, if this is the wrong forum, could a mod please move this instead of deleting?*

So I have been having anxiety problems and have been trying to deal with them without meds and just going to see a therapist. The biggest thing though, is for about two months I can't smoke anymore, it just makes my heart race and makes me feel on edge or anxious, with varying levels of anxiety different times. So I can't really smoke at all and it is bumming me out. Having talked to my therapist, she says that is normal, but I don't want to stop, ya know?

A friend suggested getting put on anxiety meds and that may help, or getting something for acute panic attacks like sedatives or something of the sort, and taking one before smoking. I just don't like the idea of having to take something like that before smoking, or being on meds because I am doing fairly well without right now.

Am I just destined to not smoke anymore? Will I have to get a better hold on my anxiety problems before I could start again?

Any other tokers have problems like this? How did you handle it?

I too suffer from anxiety problems associated with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Similarly, my anxiety was dealt with at first with sedatives. At first that was okay, then the sedatives themselves became an issue. While I will not go into discussion about drugs other than cannabis, what I can say is that, for me, sedatives ceased their efficacy after one month of use.
Cannabis has proven benefits for dealing with anxiety issues. The indicas being more suited to this.
If you are still finding issues with cannabis, despite the indicas, you may have to consider ceasing. After all, cannabis is not suited to all.
Whatever you end up doing, goodluck with your treatment regimen.

I was on anxiety meds for 6 years. I hated them, they made me feel seperated, dull, and extremly narcoleptic. I had major problems about falling asleep in class and it actually made the learning process harder for me because I had to basically teach myself certain classes because I could not stay awake.

After trying pot I slowly discovered a different outlook on life and approach my worry problems in a different way. I still get wigged out from time to time but not nearly as much. I like to talk myself out of worrysome situations and tell myself that its not a big deal of what I'm worrying about. And if for some reason I wake up, nervous as shit for no reason, then I hit a small bowl and it goes away the rest of the day.

All in all cannabis has freed me from my anxiety meds.

I gave up soda a long time ago, and after I dug the results of that I gave up caffeine and fast food too. I've heard that health can affect things like anxiety and depression, so I have been doing things to get healthier, like eating a lot better, exersizing, things like that.

Its a little depressing thinking I might not be able to enjoy weed like I used too. I did it a lot, and one day it just made me freak out, get really anxious, and since then its pretty hit or miss with how it affects me, mostly miss. So I'm thinking maybe taking a break might help too.

Don't anguish over having a break that you may never be able to smoke again. Look at it from the point of view that life is long and cannabis may appear again in the future when your health is better able to appreciate it. No good fretting about things that have not happened yet IMO. I work very hard at being happy for the moment. I had a time in my life when every moment was a precious escape from the enormity of the dilemma I was in. I spent 4 months in a prison cell in Istanbul that measured 5' by 5' with no light, and no forseeable release. I never left that cell. I just had to learn to appreciate the moment and destress to survive, and survive I did. The mind can be a very valuable tool in dealing with what life throws at us.
Good luck in the future.

I've been taking a pretty high dose of Celexa for about six years because of panic attacks, anxiety and depression. In my own experience, going off of meds and trying to work through my anxiety problems without pharms worked wonders. Of course, I smoked pot the whole time, and I think that was one of the things that most helped me RELAX during the process. Perhaps you should take a break from smoking, sort out your anxiety, and then try returning with small amounts at a time... Or, you could try medication. I won't lie - I've been back on mine for the past two months or so, because of some underlying personal issues, and they have helped me out. For some people, and in the right situations, antidepressants can be a godsend. You just have to find what works for you.

Pot helps my anxiety and depression better than any prescribed medicine did. I hope they legalize MMJ here in Ohio soon....

Maybe it's not necessarily drugs you need, but a overall change in lifestyle if you're that amped up? In our hyper-corporate, over-marketed society, we tend to focus on just relieving symptoms, but sometimes there's a better cure out there, just no way to sell it to someone. Just changing your reality will probably help your anxiety than marijuana or any other medicine would.

Maybe. I know I was really stressed about school and thats around when the panic attacks started. I thought it was wierd though how it seemed weed affected me funny started literally the day after a session that was fine. This semester is kind of my last chance type of thing with the school I'm going to, as I'm on probation, so maybe that has to do with it too.

Maybe I just need to start building things back up to where I want and that could help. Anyone else have things like this, either with anxiety, or pot having wierd affects, that eventually subsided?

I'm sure a lot of people have had that feeling at one time or another in life. It's only went it gets chronic that you have a problem. If you do want to go back to smoke in the future when life is more balanced, take it very easy at first and ensure you are smoking indics or indica dominant hybrids. Who knows what the future holds eh. Good luck matey.

I would just cut back on all stimulants...if possible..review your diet..social life..and sleeping patterns.

Get plenty of good cardiovascular exercise; this increases endorphins and serotonin levels...essential for well being.

Do what relaxes you........ go fishing..play golf...what ever.

Take it easy buddy :smokin:

I feel for you brother. I have anxiety attacks or should I say had - haven't had one for over a month! I've dealt with Crohn's for years, then had a stroke and lost my job. *edit* My therapist has been working with me over a year to help build my self-confidence. I still avoid certain places, but am feeling really good. MaryJane has helped a lot, but there have been times during the past year when I had to take a break. I was discussing medical marijuana with my shrink yesterday and she said that some people get psychotic when they smoke and have to quit. I feel that my therapist helped much more than the meds I received. I feel like I had to have my brain reformmated. Everyone telling me that everything was going to be OK didn't really help. Something had to click in my on head that brought about a perspective change. I couldn't tell you what it was, but it brought about a gradual change. I smoke for my Crohn's mainly. And of course I enjoy the high, but I am also learning to get high on life. That is something I had not been able to do for years. Your answer is somewhere in side you and only you can find it and usually you find it when you're not looking.

Count me in one this one.

Sometimes, I have to just step back from my own life, and remember that other people have problems too. That includes a break from my favorite form of recreation.

I can't choose my strains of smoke, but I would love to get a hold of something bred for anxiety, or PTSD. I have been having some pretty heavy flashbacks the last week, and was doing it on just my prescribed meds.

Not pretty. I think my BF was really worried about me, and I would have been a lot better with some smoke. Instead, I had to take pills that make me feel crappy, and deal with my flashbacks in front of others. Like my mother, legal team and a judge.

Don't judge me man. I went through some scary shit, and I want to be left the hell alone for a day or so. That doesn't mean I have mental problems.

Lady

Back
Top Bottom