So what grows well in your area?

I was just thinking that we could share some varieties we've had success over the years growing them locally. If we mention climate specifics like RH, temps, length of the season, altitude and such, that might be a good thread to start for the new outdoor growers or those who want to discover new strains, but want to pinpoint them instead of going for a wild goose chase.

Well, here where I live my season starts around early/middle March I'd say and finishes around middle November. It's 45N with 60-70% RH between May and September, later on going up to 95%. Temps in the summer are usually around 90-105°F in the shadow, so not very cold. This starts sliding down though in the beginning of October, when only the best sativas can survive :)

Yeah, I try to grow at least 60-70% sativa-dominant strains, cause they seem to love my climate. Pure sativas have totally no problem here with sudden rainfalls in the autumn, and from last year I've been switching mainly to those.

I had a great success with Malawi Gold and a plant called Nanda Devi (Himalayan landrace) so far, but also with classic stuff like Trainwreck (zero mold, ready by the last week of September), and I'm looking more and more into Ace Seeds catalogue as their Orient Express survived high October humidity without any sign of bud rot here.

I've been pondering getting S1 Sour Diesel beans as this is the bud I really like too, but this season I'm set with Mexican landrace, cross of Vietnam Black and Thai, and some nice stuff I got from my SoCal buddy :)

Grow them tall, guys! :passitleft:

GREAT, thread!

I just learned a bunch of new shit. I will look to grow a sativa. That is mostly what I grew outside last year and previous. But, no logic behind it, it was bagseed.

I want to grow one SCROG type outside this year in a 7 -15 gallon smart pot. I have one neighbor who is nosey so tall plants aren't an option. He's not too close, but I'm not risking anything since I can train it anyway. And I enjoy creating a nice even plant.

My area temps and season specifics are similar to yours.

Thanks, I'll be all over this one!

I've seen nice Cali scrog outdoor grows. You have to get chicken wire at least 4-5 feet wide and then mount it on a nice metal or wooden support. When they are almost ready to flower you have to start training them under the net providing they had some training so far and you should be fine. Sativas are actually much easier to scrog if you have a lot of space. The problem with them indoor is usually lack of horizontal space, but us outdoor folks can pretty much handle it :)

The only problem I run into is the short season. Although I could and do start indoors. But, either way I don't get 12 hours of darkness until July, late. Next thing you know it's September and recently it's been mild, so that might be ok. But, if the plant runs long, like mine did last year, then you're scrambling to get them inside. Outside here sucks, in my opinion. But it's free energy, so I have to figure out someway to get something from mother nature

I'm sure it's doable, but the more I think of it, I might just do autos outside this summer. Either that or play the in/outside game with a mobile plant... and with a big girl, SCROG, that might be unrealistic. I need a greenhouse

Of course, I probably don't know Jack and it is doable...

A yeah with short season you're probably struggling by the end. How far north are you?

Yeah, two years in a row I've scrambled at the end. It's not fun when your so close to the end and see snow in the forecast in September..lol.

A couple years ago I had a great bean from a breeder in Hawaii going in October. At night I would cover it with a trash bag, my wife looked out the window one morning and said it looked like a ghost in the garden. Sloppy, and I wasted an awesome bean, or plant with super genetics, too

I'm in MA, but contemplating a move further north.

We have family property in Florida and Hawaii that I'd love to go to, but, with kids and family it's not that easy.

I'm new at this, but I think it's easier to grow inside during the winter's here. But, either way mother nature is always a factor.

Ah man I get it now. I think I talked to another grower from your state once and although you're more down south than me you have much shorter season with some quick moving blizzards. Yeah, that's one of these things you just won't jump like that. My advice is to look into Canadian traditional strains as they are hardy and low temp resistant. With these you'd be probably good till the end of September. Hm as I'm thinking now here it really starts for me by the end of September and now I'm thinking about going till early November with one strain. To be honest when I showed my weed to few friend tokers they thought it was indoor :) No, not much of a quality smoke in Italy if you do not grow it yourself :passitleft:

You're in Italy? Right on, man. I've spent some time there. My family started there, still have roots there...

Yeah, I'm man. Far up north :)

Nice. Very nice. My family has a countryside of vineyards down south. Last time I was there with my Uncle Mario we were treated like royalty. I have a relative that is a big time cop, walked off the plane, past customs, into his car.... gone.

Most of my time there has been in Naples, Sigonella, and Sardinia.

This is only my 2nd year growing, and I only grow outdoors. Last year I successfully grew DP AutoMazar, Buddha Purple Kush, Buddha Magnum and HSO Amherst sour diesel. They all did pretty well. Buddha Magnum yielded the most, but also was the only one that had mould/bud rot at harvest.

Season starts mid March and ends late November. Day Temps can go up to 35C in high summer for weeks. I am right on the sea and humidity is generally fairly high ( between 40% and 70%) in high summer.

The ASD was an eye opener. After growing the aforementioned Autos as my learning curve grows, in late September i got bored as I had just harvested the last auto. I dropped a seed which sprouted very quickly and the plant grew very quickly and vigorously for about a month, then the autumnal equinox threw her into flower. I left her outside, even though sometimes night temperatures were in single figures until I harvested on New Year's Eve.

All I can say is the smoke was so good, I will be growing another one this season, but letting her grow to her full potential over 5 months.

So as a total newb to canna growing last year, and the fact that I did not figure out best composts and nutes to use until fairly late in the season, I would safely say all the strains mentioned above do well in a high temperature/high humidity part of Southern europe.

Great addition to the thread!

In the Mid-West USA, Big Bang did very well last summer and I am now putting, the Original Sensible Seed co. Black Destroyer Fem and Royal Queen both Fem Kush#1 and Fem Special, out in the field very soon. They were started in mid April indoors. Our outdoor season starts around June 1 and ends the end of Oct. We have high temps up to 100 f, a few days per season but would average 80 with some humidity in August, never been a problem. Sometimes it is too dry and I cringe at the heat, day after day, if that tap root gets down deep it thrives in that weather.
This crop gets no water other than rain and no additional Nut's, due to being in a commercial corn field. All crops for my years at this have survived and get very big. So if you worry about, stick it and forget it style. As long as they go in during a wet period you have no worries.
I will not be checking them during the summer but will report in after we harvest the fruit.

Back
Top Bottom