Speaker Cabinet Grow Box

yeah, the one has little yellow tips, damn MG.. I'll definitely need to use a nute free soil when i transplant into larger containers.

When I went to bed last night, the plants looked great. However, there was a tragedy overnight. The setup stayed the same as it has been for the last week, but when I opened it up the temp inside was real hot, over 100 degrees.
Now if you look back you can see from previous pictures that one is in a paper cup and the other is in a styrofoam cup. The plant in paper wilted a little, and the nute burn that was already there spread a bit. However, relative to the plant in styrofoam, it is still doing pretty good.

Paper cup:
2008-12-24B.JPG

The plant in styrofoam was totally cooked. I would be extremely surprised if this plant survives.

Styrofoam cup:
2008-12-24A.JPG

So there ya go.... Don't plant in styrofoam or it can trap in heat and totally cook your plants.

I guess I'll germinate some more seeds and these should be ready to throw in the trash in a few days when the new ones start to sprout. I really need to add some ventilation to the box, but I don't know how I'll do that without it looking unlike an unaltered speaker cabinet.

I am open to any ideas you guys may have, thanks for the help.

When I went to bed last night, the plants looked great. However, there was a tragedy overnight. The setup stayed the same as it has been for the last week, but when I opened it up the temp inside was real hot, over 100 degrees.
Now if you look back you can see from previous pictures that one is in a paper cup and the other is in a styrofoam cup. The plant in paper wilted a little, and the nute burn that was already there spread a bit. However, relative to the plant in styrofoam, it is still doing pretty good.

Paper cup:
2008-12-24B.JPG

The plant in styrofoam was totally cooked. I would be extremely surprised if this plant survives.

Styrofoam cup:
2008-12-24A.JPG

So there ya go.... Don't plant in styrofoam or it can trap in heat and totally cook your plants.

I guess I'll germinate some more seeds and these should be ready to throw in the trash in a few days when the new ones start to sprout. I really need to add some ventilation to the box, but I don't know how I'll do that without it looking unlike an unaltered speaker cabinet.

I am open to any ideas you guys may have, thanks for the help.

Ok the first thing that I believe to be wrong is that you don't have any ventilation. You need air movement for stem growth, removal of heat from the light (marijuana like a 70 - 75 degree environment) Put in an intake fan on the lower part of the box (can be anything but since your looking for more stealthy I'd say a computer fan that is on the quieter side) on the back. If you can get away with something being on top of the box then put your exhaust fan (this'll remove the heat cause by the two lights) on top and connect it to a home made carbon filter (this will take care of the smell from flowering). You can make some kinda small box that can be placed on top of the speaker and wouldn't look outta place to cover up the carbon filter. You can also make the exhaust on the back also but on top where the heat is. Finally have another computer fan on the inside of the box for continuous air movement. This will give you a stronger stem and reduce the heat.

OK on to lighting. I would make sure the lights are about 2 in away from the top of the plants. Otherwise you're doing well but remember the light is just causing photosynthesis and the more the better you just have to worry about how it will change your environment...like heat. What your friend told you about the other light was on the right track. I can't remember what the specifics of it are but on kind of bulb has a specific k rating and on rating is better for a veg. stage compared to the flowering stage. also the color of the light will be different. Keep reading other threads about grow boxes...you'll learn a lot quick. also I req a transplant into a bigger pot...since u only want to do it once I would say a 2 gal or even a 3 gal...your kind of stuck with those crappy cups and the high heat. Hope this helps...peace man

~Stelthgrower:bongrip:

2008-12-26B.JPG

well this guy made a great recovery... I'll keep him around a little longer. It's going to be a week before I start work on the new and improved speaker cabinet grow box.

now you have your lights too far away (thats what it looks like from that last pic)
that may be the reason for the slow growth
they should at least be 3" away

How did this grow turn out?
We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Damn This Was I Nice Idea-Abandoned

I really would've enjoyed reading the outcome of this grow. If u have any pics or info on the conclusion of this grow please post. Until then.....................
I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom