Spider Mites?

Yay or nay and if nay what?

PXL_20210731_225558871.jpg

PXL_20210731_225624318.jpg

PXL_20210731_231012787.jpg

PXL_20210731_231100154.jpg
For now it's a maybe. I found spider mites about a month ago. It started with just some eggs and damage similar to what you have. I was not sure, but a week later I found a few live ones.. They were clearly visible with the phone magnifier app.
I would say keep looking just in case.
I never had any webbing. Still don't.
I started spraying with SNS 217C every 3 days, cleaned my grow rooms, and sprinkled DE everywhere. As if now, I have not found any live ones anywhere.
Hopefully that's not it, but be vigilant. If you catch them early, you can win the war.

I don't see any critters. Maybe its the beginning of some sort of nutrient lock out??
I'd rather it be that then critters! I haven't applied all that much nuts because the Fox Farm Ocean Forest seemed so hot. I didn't until a week or so before flipping and even then only at 1/4 strength and also tested PPM and it was well within limits. I did hit it up with several waterings with CalMag, but again nothing radical. Only 3 or 4 waterings and only at 1 and 1.5 mL per gallon.

I also did a flush with a full 15 gallons at the beginning of last week so if it was the beginning of a lockout issue (because of the CalMag?) maybe this is just residual damage? At first I noticed it on the dozen or so large fans at the bottom of the plant and now only on several mid-size fans in the middle of the plant.

I just took a close look and I don't see any sign of worsening or progression and it looks very healthy. Week 6 Day 1.

PXL_20210802_193021190.jpg

PXL_20210802_193031835.jpg

PXL_20210802_193040680.jpg

For now it's a maybe. I found spider mites about a month ago. It started with just some eggs and damage similar to what you have. I was not sure, but a week later I found a few live ones.. They were clearly visible with the phone magnifier app.
I would say keep looking just in case.
I never had any webbing. Still don't.
I started spraying with SNS 217C every 3 days, cleaned my grow rooms, and sprinkled DE everywhere. As if now, I have not found any live ones anywhere.
Hopefully that's not it, but be vigilant. If you catch them early, you can win the war.
Yeah, I'm being hyper-vigilant! I have a digital microscope on the way I ordered last week for closer inspection of trichomes. It arrives Wednesday or Thursday. I also foound something called Mite-Rid on eBay and ordered that, just in case. it arrives Thursday or Friday. If I don't need it now, and I hope I don't, it might come in handy in the future.

And I also hit the soil and floor with DE, lowered the temp and raised the %RH.

Looks good from here... I don't see any pests and looks like your issues went away.

Be sure to follow the label directions for water pH when you use your fertilzers.
I'm using Fox Farm Cultivation Nation 3 Part. It specifies dosage and PPM but doesn't say anything about pH but I've been adjusting to roughly 6.5 after nuts and any needed PPM adjustment. I check runoff pH every watering and it ranges from roughly 6.33 to 6.45.

The seed bank specified 8-9 weeks of flowering and I'm in week 6. It would suck to have a major issue now. Doh!

I'm using Fox Farm Cultivation Nation 3 Part. It specifies dosage and PPM but doesn't say anything about pH but I've been adjusting to roughly 6.5 after nuts and any needed PPM adjustment. I check runoff pH every watering and it ranges from roughly 6.33 to 6.45.

The seed bank specified 8-9 weeks of flowering and I'm in week 6. It would suck to have a major issue now. Doh!
Your water PH sounds good. I wouldn't hold what the seed bank said regarding flowering time as gospel, they tend to underestimate. They are notoriously bad with auto's.

Oh, and much thanks to everyone's feedback and input. it's greatly appreciated. I did several half-baked grows in the 90s under a 400W MH with bag seed and without any meaningful research or attention to detail. This is my first real grow where I did my homework, got good genetics and put in the effort. I'm hoping to bring in a decent harvest and I've always enjoyed white widow whenever I've come across it.

Your water PH sounds good. I wouldn't hold what the seed bank said regarding flowering time as gospel, they tend to underestimate. They are notoriously bad with auto's.
I kinda figured that and I have a grow grid spreadsheet I mapped out to 10 weeks of flowering. I'll play it by ear (well, actually eye!), keeping an eye out for the first sign of milky trichomes beginning to turn amber.

By the way this is a photoperiod but I did discount 8 weeks and figured it would be more like 9 or 10 weeks. We shall see as the plant will tell me when it's ready for harvest.

Yeah, I'm being hyper-vigilant! I have a digital microscope on the way I ordered last week for closer inspection of trichomes. It arrives Wednesday or Thursday. I also foound something called Mite-Rid on eBay and ordered that, just in case. it arrives Thursday or Friday. If I don't need it now, and I hope I don't, it might come in handy in the future.

And I also hit the soil and floor with DE, lowered the temp and raised the %RH.
Perfect. I let the RH go up as well, they don't like it.
I tried Neem oil, but the girls didn't like it very much. It leaves a residue.
SNS it's safe all the way to harvest. I didn't realize how important prevention is.
It seems like you have done a lot of research for your grow.

Looks like it was a false alarm. I first noticed it on the lower large fans about two weeks ago and then on several mid-sized fans in the middle of the plant last week. I plucked the most damaged fans and as of now I see no progression nor any sign of critters. I also considered a nutrient issue and did a 15 gallon flush early last week so that might have resolved the issue.

Anyway she looks very happy now and she's getting watered this morning with nuts at 75% minus CalMag. I'm almost thinking it was a CalMag issue as it's a soil grow and I use a mix of filtered faucet water (not RO but < 300 PPM), distilled water and dehumidifier water. The mix comes in between 50 & 100 PPM depending on the proportions so I doubt there's a need for CalMag.

Looks like it was a false alarm. I first noticed it on the lower large fans about two weeks ago and then on several mid-sized fans in the middle of the plant last week. I plucked the most damaged fans and as of now I see no progression nor any sign of critters. I also considered a nutrient issue and did a 15 gallon flush early last week so that might have resolved the issue.

Anyway she looks very happy now and she's getting watered this morning with nuts at 75% minus CalMag. I'm almost thinking it was a CalMag issue as it's a soil grow and I use a mix of filtered faucet water (not RO but < 300 PPM), distilled water and dehumidifier water. The mix comes in between 50 & 100 PPM depending on the proportions so I doubt there's a need for CalMag.
That is very good news.
I have not found any live ones in two weeks, but I'm not taking it for granted.
How are the girls growing? Pictures?

That is very good news.
I have not found any live ones in two weeks, but I'm not taking it for granted.
How are the girls growing? Pictures?
I don't bother too much with the runt. She's in a makeshift space and I'll probably turn her into oil the old school way using 99%+ isopropanol.

Here's her bigger sister as of yesterday.

PXL_20210806_163601280.jpg

PXL_20210806_163249456.jpg

PXL_20210806_163524267.jpg

PXL_20210806_163336014.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_04_57_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_06_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_07_45_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_09_20_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_11_31_Pro.jpg

I don't bother too much with the runt. She's in a makeshift space and I'll probably turn her into oil the old school way using 99%+ isopropanol.

Here's her bigger sister as of yesterday.

PXL_20210806_163601280.jpg

PXL_20210806_163249456.jpg

PXL_20210806_163524267.jpg

PXL_20210806_163336014.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_04_57_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_06_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_07_45_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_09_20_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210806_12_11_31_Pro.jpg
Wow. She is perfect. That is one happy girl.
I make gummies and cookies, they work well for insomnia for me and my friends.
I made green dragon using everclear just for kicks, but I gave it away. It was way to strong for me.

Wow. She is perfect. That is one happy girl.
I make gummies and cookies, they work well for insomnia for me and my friends.
I made green dragon using everclear just for kicks, but I gave it away. It was way to strong for me.
I just did a Google of green dragon and it's a tincture. Since it's baked prior to extraction it's decarboxylated and can be taken directly under the tongue and doesn't need to be burned. Cool! I also considered BHO but if I went that route I think I'd want a vacuum chamber to remove as much butane as possible. A bit more involved and expensive though the end-product would be much more potent.

I'll probably just go with the old school alcohol method. I remember my first encounter with hash oil back in the 70s. I got totally blasted! I've never tried BHO or shatter but understand it can be extremely potent. If the oil I make this time around doesn't measure up I'll probably give BHO a try on a future grow.

Pic 3and 4 look like rust (fungus) infection. Pluck infected leaves and avoid moisture on the leaves that can cause it to spread.
Oh now that's interesting and it makes sense! I did pluck the most obvious damaged fans. I'll have to go back through and see if there are more obviously damaged leaves.

My uncle makes green dragon. Be vary careful and allot of ventilation! As in outside away from anything you don't want on fire.
I use my popcorn and frosty trim in bubble bags. Then bake the dried hash at 200deg for 20 min to decarb. fold it between my thumb and palm for 20 minutes keeping my hands hot by repeatedly holding a hot bottle of water. Then roll it into a shiny temple ball.

templejpg.jpg

My uncle makes green dragon. Be vary careful and allot of ventilation! As in outside away from anything you don't want on fire.
I use my popcorn and frosty trim in bubble bags. Then bake the dried hash at 200deg for 20 min to decarb. fold it between my thumb and palm for 20 minutes keeping my hands hot by repeatedly holding a hot bottle of water. Then roll it into a shiny temple ball.

templejpg.jpg
I actually let green dragon sit for 3 months shaking daily.
Afterwards I let the alcohol evaporate on his own, to about one third. No heat.

Back
Top Bottom