Springtails: what should I do?

Cwmoore577

Started seeing small bugs in my runoff trays. I noticed when trying to get one under the microscope that they jump.
B31EF6CB-DC30-476D-87B5-66A8D85E589D.jpeg

My plants are autoflowers that are in early flowering (week 7)
0416C455-3B56-4FDE-9982-F06A8A6A9A40.jpeg

I’m also in a coco medium. After reading about them most say to cut out moisture to get rid of them so I’m unsure how to do that when I have to water 2-3x a day.

I have two pesticides on hand..

Green Cleaner (39% soybean oil, 19% sodium lauryl sulfate)

AzaMax (1.2% Azadirachtin)

What should I do?

Started seeing small bugs in my runoff trays. I noticed when trying to get one under the microscope that they jump.
B31EF6CB-DC30-476D-87B5-66A8D85E589D.jpeg

My plants are autoflowers that are in early flowering (week 7)
0416C455-3B56-4FDE-9982-F06A8A6A9A40.jpeg

I’m also in a coco medium. After reading about them most say to cut out moisture to get rid of them so I’m unsure how to do that when I have to water 2-3x a day.

I have two pesticides on hand..

Green Cleaner (39% soybean oil, 19% sodium lauryl sulfate)

AzaMax (1.2% Azadirachtin)

What should I do?
I’ve heard Green Cleaner is really good, and have seen it used in flower. I haven’t heard of the other.

I’ve heard Green Cleaner is really good, and have seen it used in flower. I haven’t heard of the other.
Yea I figured it might be better so I went to the hydro store and got it. More organic.

I’m unsure how I should use it. Would it throw off the CEC of the coco if I used it as a drench? I don’t think they’re on the leaves, at least I don’t see any.

Keep all the crap picked up off the floor. Dead leaves etc. Don't leave standing water. Vinegar, peroxide, dish soap, all these things will kill springtails. I dealt with them right after we bought our house. They don't do much damage and after you take away their food and water they leave. Good luck

Keep all the crap picked up off the floor. Dead leaves etc. Don't leave standing water. Vinegar, peroxide, dish soap, all these things will kill springtails. I dealt with them right after we bought our house. They don't do much damage and after you take away their food and water they leave. Good luck
Yea idk how to take away the water if the coco can’t be let to dry lol

Standing water. Obviously you can't remove all moisture. If you can look in there and see puddles of water find a way to remove them. Whether that's better drainage for the saucers/trays, using a shop vac or hand pump, or just soaking it up with towels.

I use neem oil as the backbone of my integrated pest management, I spray the plants every few weeks and water some into the containers. I haven't had very many around in the tents since then. Still see the occasional one in the mechanical room from time to time.

They're annoying little suckers, I've seen them move into new construction projects before the owners have even taken possession. Annoying. Without plants around we usually just bomb the space but I try real hard not to use pesticides around anything I'm going to eat or smoke.

I've had them before and they're pretty benign, some people actually buy them??
Anyways, only real challenge was trying to propagate clones in rapid rooter plugs which happen to be a perfect place for springtails to hang out and eat all the new roots that pop out.
I wound up having to do clones old school in a cup of water so that the springtails would drown trying to get to the roots! On the plus side i freed up a LOT of space in my tiny garden going from cloning in a humidity dome to a solo cup!

Back
Top Bottom