Stealth cabinet. first time grower (pics)

JDizzle

First off I want to thank all of you here at 420magazine.com who have created a superb place to learn how to grow. I have spent many months reading, learning, planning and designing and without resources like this available I would not have gotten anywhere, so thank you.

I've wanted to grow my own Cannabis for a long time (almost since I started smoking) and this year I finally decided to go ahead and give it a go. I began planning/designing back in March and have just now gotten to the point where I am building my cabinet. At the end of this month I hope to be well within my first grow (sharing the whole experience of course with all of you in a grow journal :))

The main theme of this cab is stealth. I designed it to fit in my closet and to be sealed so that I can hopefully eliminate all smells. My greatest ally in the design phase was Google SketchUp, it's an awesome free 3D modeling program and was immensely helpful.

Here are the final mock ups of my closet and cabinet.
googleCab1.jpg

Yes, I know the closet door covers a good part of the cabinet, fortunately for me the doors are very easy to remove so I'll just be taking them off when I need to access the cabinet.

And now let's take a look inside.
googleCab2.jpg

As you can see I have 2 separate chambers; one of course for cloning/vegging and the other for the big beautiful females to flower. If possible I'm going to be trying to make the middle divider removable so that the times when both cycles have lights on they can share the light, if I can't get it to work as a removable panel then I will just make it permanent.
The big black things you see at the top are my carbon filters (more on those later) one for each side, along with an intake hole at the bottom of each side. All of the CFLs will be adjustable to keep them close to the plants.

This is a pic of how I figured out all the sizes for the pieces to the cab, basically I pulled the cabinet apart and laid the pieces out on a 4' x 8' sheet.
googleCab3.jpg

Here are all the pieces cut and painted.
MG_0029.JPG

Here is the cabinet being assembled (its upside down in this pic)
MG_0030.JPG

And here is the outer structure fully assembled.
IMG_00358.JPG

In the closet with all the seams sealed with caulk.
IMG_00367.jpg

I used half inch plywood to build the cabinet and I don't recommend it, I wish I would have used ¾ in for a couple of reasons, the wood warps fairly easily and it's harder to screw together but I got mine for free so I can't complain too much.

Obviously I still have a lot left to do on the cabinet; I still have to cut the holes for the fans and the passive intake, also need to install the shelf on the veg side.

Here is what I have so far for the fans and odor control
IMG_00378.jpg

there are two 120mm computer fans that I had along with a fan controller. For power I am going to be using a 12v adapter. To attach the air scrubber I cut a dryer vent hood and duct taped it to the fan, the vent hood is excellent because it has clips on the inside that grip the mesh and will make for very easy removal of the filters for maintenance.

Here is closer look at the wire mesh cylinders.
IMG_00385.jpg
IMG_00395.jpg

I will be covering all wire mesh with cut to size pre filters (still waiting on UPS for that one) and then filling the larger cylinder with activated charcoal. I did some tests with various layers of cloth over the fan and it seems to have great air flow so I have high hopes that these filters will be a success.

My goal at this point is to have the cabinet 99% done before my vacation on the 13th and then to start my grow right away when I come back.

Thanks for stopping by to check out my work, I will be posting more pics as I get things done this upcoming week. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Have a very merry 4th!:allgood:

thats a wicked idea with the filter!! hope it works for ya buddie,
some people say there not enuff power in them. good luck with the grow dude,

Looking good JDizzle, will keep following your progress :thumb:
I'm also using GoogleSketchup to design my cabinet, it's a great tool when it doesn't crash :p

Will 2x 120 mm fans be enough to vent the entire place though ?
How many plants do you intend to grow at a time? Also how will you be moving the CFLs around? From what I see you seem to have fixed mountings on the walls of the box.

Yeah I really don't know for sure whether the fans will be enough we'll see when they are complete. If they don't work it shouldn't be too hard for me to find some more powerful ones.

I'm actually only planning to start out with one plant in the flowering chamber, if I feel like there is enough room for more I may work my way up to two.

As far as the lights go I'm still undecided on how I'm going to put up the lights, I was thinking perhaps power strips with screws at several heights for them to clip into.

Hey there dude, how's it going?

Can we get an update on your filters please? :p If you got the chance to test them, I would really like to know how a 120mm fan performed with the filter. :reading420magazine:

Are you going passive on your ventilation (Like just cutting intake holes and letting the pressure created from the exhaust fan to suck fresh air into the box) ? Or did you use intake fans as well ?

Cheers man, Hope all is good! :grinjoint:

Finally Back in business

Hey all,
Although a bit later than I expected I am finally back in business (ran out of time/money).

So here is an update on my grow box which is 90% complete.

MG_0006.JPG

one carbon filter left to finish

MG_0008.JPG

Picture of the top of the box, I found some cool Fan filters that hide the big hole and allow for me to put a sheet of pre-filter in as extra sound dampening/odor control.

MG_0009.JPG

I ended up having to get some more powerful 120mm PC fans as the first ones I had just didnt have enough CFM. These suckers work great though:
MG_0010.JPG

So there it is, all I have left to do is mount the lights set up the shelf in the smaller veg side and complete the second carbon filter. I will be working on these things during my grow which has just begun. Check out the Journal HERE

Hey there dude, how's it going?

Can we get an update on your filters please? :p If you got the chance to test them, I would really like to know how a 120mm fan performed with the filter. :reading420magazine:

Are you going passive on your ventilation (Like just cutting intake holes and letting the pressure created from the exhaust fan to suck fresh air into the box) ? Or did you use intake fans as well ?

Cheers man, Hope all is good! :grinjoint:

the original fans I had were not quite enough CFM but the new ones I bought are 133CFM and they seem to be moving air quite well

Im going with passive intake for the moment, if i have circulation or temp issues I'll probably add some fans.

Back
Top Bottom