JDizzle's 1st Time Closet Grow AK-48

JDizzle

So here it is, I finally came up with the money to get everything together and start growing. This is my first time growing and I am very excited. I probably have room for more than one plant but I decided I would take my first time easy and start with just one plant.

Strain: AK-48 feminized from nirvana
Medium: soil; Fox Farms Ocean Forest
Lights: 42w CFL's
Nutrients: Fox Farms soil nutrient line
Number of plants: 1 (to start)

If you would like to take a look at my grow box here is a link to that thread.
JDizzle's closet grow box

A look at the seeds. I loved how sneakily packaged they were by Nirvana.
MG_0013.JPG

I Soaked the seed in water for a day and then dropped it into a rockwool cube (PH 5.5) on 1/23 and Viola! here she is tonight looking really good so far.
MG_0011.JPG

Root poked out the bottom of the rockwool so I moved it into the soil. Here are some pics from tonight.

MG_0016.JPG

MG_0014.JPG

One question that one of you could help me out with, should I cover the base of the plant with more soil or is it good where its at?

I assume you're using the FF line of nutes....you can go ahead and start with the Grow Big...FF is very forgiving. I feed GB every other day, when the plants get going. They will use the better part of a gallon a day if you grow them in 5 gal containers. The Big Bloom is used alternately as well....every other day pretty much
You are off and running....6500k CFLs for veg.....switch to 2700 to flower....I have the equilivalent of about 1000w of CFL on each plant. a 300w overhead and 6 or 7 100w around the sides. I produce nice tight buds with these lights...I don't know that it's any cheaper than big lights, but I don't have all that heat to deal with either :goodluck: You've a nice start!

I assume you're using the FF line of nutes....you can go ahead and start with the Grow Big...FF is very forgiving. I feed GB every other day, when the plants get going. They will use the better part of a gallon a day if you grow them in 5 gal containers. The Big Bloom is used alternately as well....every other day pretty much

Hey Chopper, great info on the FoxFarms nutes, I'll be sure to get started with the Grow Big. One question, watering every day as you do are you taking a few days off at any point in order to let the soil/roots dry and is there an advantage to watering every day? At the moment I have been watering only when the soil is dry at finger depth which usually turns out to be a few days between watering, and I use the nutes every other water.

yo!

Here are some pics from tonight, as you can see many more leaves, she is starting to grow taller now as well. I will probably have to move my lights in a few days. More watering tonight, I added in a dose of Grow Big.
MG_0022.JPG

MG_0023.JPG

MG_0027.JPG

If you go too hard with the GB you'll see the very tip-points of the leaves curl (nitrogen claws) no big deal....just back off a bit. I rarelyhave an issue since switching to FF. Some strains are more sensitive to it though. My plants are in 5 gal buckets from the time they pop...no advantage in multi repotting. They go outside most of the day too. Indoor plants need water maybe twice a week. I should have been more clear.....the outdoor ones need water every day, once they've reached like 3ft and are all bushed and flowered out. I do not let the soil get real dry at any rate....surely not till the plant droops (hydro systems aren't exactly dry) and I've never had issues. I use 60/40 dirt (Fla dirt is primarily sand) to perlite and the holes are in the bottom of the bucket, so they are not holding water at the bottoms...a layer of 1in gravel keeps the holes open, and the drainage is really good. Get a GOOD PH METER if you're gonna persue this to any extent. It's your best tool and cheap insurance. *Adjust with garden lime or citrus juice accordingly*
Any question...ask away. I'll do my best to help out. I've a few good grows under my belt now.
You'll learn all you'll ever need to know on the subject right here on 420....great bunch....fantastic resource:high-five: :grinjoint:

One week has gone by and my AK-48 is growing very nicely, here are some pics from tonight.

MG_00291.JPG

Always new leaves growing
MG_0033.JPG

I'm amazed at how compact she is remaining, adding height on slowly with tons of new leaves, its awesome.:slide:
MG_0035.JPG

The very top of the plant
MG_0036.JPG

heres a ruler to show height
in one week she has grown about an inch
MG_0037.JPG

I plan on flowering just under a foot, I have read that flowering at one foot will give you about a 3 foot plant in the end and I have just under 3 feet of space.

One thing that I am trying to figure out at the moment is when the best time to transplant would be. Is it ok to transplant after switching to 12/12 or should I transplant right before 12/12 or even transplant a week or so before to reduce stress? any advice is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom