Stem splitting?

When do you go 48 hours of darkness? And what does it accomplish?

Sent from my SM-G928P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The 48 hour dark period kinda tricks the plant in to thinking its not going to get any light or dieing and uses all of its
Energy to shoot up and premote
Some fast growth my dad taught me
This as a kid but not with cannabis lol

Happy growing .

I've heard of it ages ago-like in the 80s. There used to be a lot of stupid ideas like that- like drilling holes through the stems and hanging plants upside down to let resin 'run to the top'. I thought this stem splitting idea was totally discredited and buried long ago.

But. . Who knows. I'll tell you what, Friends.
Send me two of your ready to harvest plants, along with $49.95, and I will test this method for you, for free! Yes that's right- the fee only covers my laboratory expenses! Or -for only 89.95, I will test this potentially groundbreaking and guarantied stem-breaking method, on 6 of your plants, count-em, yes Six plants! Limited time offer. Larger orders negotiable call now. Now is your chance to have your plants tested by this revolutionary new thc enhancing method! Do not delay!! Pm me now and get those plants in the mail to me before my lab space is completely full and you've missed your chance!

Happy growing .

This is my mother plant which I completely broke the stem in half and it split, I could see right through the stem, taped it up for a week and then removed the tape. She grew back 10x stronger

6c93def3517e1d60031dc1dbaccdf2b6.jpg

Then topped her and she grew some huge arms!
5c8f34e91c7878fd3ce35754b2cd50aa.jpg

26b1af0894617f5bbfc967717b6a56be.jpg

Going to clone her and then put her into flower once my current grow is finished, I have a feeling she will yield large.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

This is my mother plant which I completely broke the stem in half and it split, I could see right through the stem, taped it up for a week and then removed the tape. She grew back 10x stronger

6c93def3517e1d60031dc1dbaccdf2b6.jpg

Then topped her and she grew some huge arms!
5c8f34e91c7878fd3ce35754b2cd50aa.jpg

26b1af0894617f5bbfc967717b6a56be.jpg

Going to clone her and then put her into flower once my current grow is finished, I have a feeling she will yield large.

Just like humans cannabis will heal when they do it creates a bigger stem (vein) for nutes to go thru. It's called knocked up. I cracked my main stem at the branching spot last harvest. It healed and created a huge knuckle. And that harvest was amazing. This time I will try the stem splitting thing but only on one plant out of my 15

By the time I'm done training, supercropping, accidentally breaking stems, and otherwise torturing my plants - their stems are well scarred and knuckled up as well. Not sure that it makes any difference to yield - but it does strengthen stems where they need it.
By the time I harvest a plant, it's done growing. It's leaves are yellow and dying down like a tree in the fall. Buds are ripe and gooey. It's not drinking water, it's not growing. It's drawing what's left of the energy from its leaves. It's ripening a little. Most of its functions are shut down.

So if I go damaging the stem at this point '3-7 days before harvest'- how is that going to cause a '20% increase in thc'. Where is this thc supposed to come from?
Thc is created in the flowers by photosynthesis and my plant has had on average three months or more of healthy flowering time in which to do this. Now it's winding down and most of its foliage is finished and the rest is definitely compromised in its ability to function.

Jamming a stick through its stem doesn't seem like it's going to work any miracles. Not saying it's not possible- but it would be nice to hear some evidence, or some better science than 'splitting the stem causes stress and forces the plant to produce more trichomes'. Hmmmm.

If stress is what makes trichomes- my plants must be absolutely covered in them. Not only my plants- myself as well. I would be in severe danger of being attacked by stoners and smoked. What a stressful thought :hmmmm:

The dark period has been cited as maybe helping boost the terpenes. Meaning that the plant might have increased smell and flavour.
Another theory is that, since light degrades thc (apparently true), then you'll harvest the plant at a time of maximum thc. Apparently the plant plays a constant game of catch up as thc is produced, but degraded by the lights at the same time. Seems that no one has ever done any lab tests on this - or if they have they haven't shown any difference, because people are constantly raising the subject and nobody is ever sticking their head up to confirm that there is a measurable difference when plants are put in darkness before harvest.

Terpenes and thc, etc can be lab tested now. Especially if you're one of those blessed and lucky people who live near 'civilization'. Would probably be fairly cheap compared to all the time spent wondering about this stuff, and writing about it, and doing weird stuff to our plants in the hopes it might improve them. And whoever put the time in to test this stuff would get the glory of breaking new ground in the cannabis field.

By the time I'm done training, supercropping, accidentally breaking stems, and otherwise torturing my plants - their stems are well scarred and knuckled up as well. Not sure that it makes any difference to yield - but it does strengthen stems where they need it.
By the time I harvest a plant, it's done growing. It's leaves are yellow and dying down like a tree in the fall. Buds are ripe and gooey. It's not drinking water, it's not growing. It's drawing what's left of the energy from its leaves. It's ripening a little. Most of its functions are shut down.
So if I go damaging the stem at this point '3-7 days before harvest'- how is that going to cause a '20% increase in thc'. Where is this thc supposed to come from?
Thc is created in the flowers by photosynthesis and my plant has had on average three months or more of healthy flowering time in which to do this. Now it's winding down and most of its foliage is finished and the rest is definitely compromised in its ability to function.
Jamming a stick through its stem doesn't seem like it's going to work any miracles. Not saying it's not possible- but it would be nice to hear some evidence, or some better science than 'splitting the stem causes stress and forces the plant to produce more trichomes'. Hmmmm. :hmmmm:

The dark period has been cited as maybe helping boost the terpenes. Meaning that the plant might have increased smell and flavour.
Another theory is that, since light degrades thc (apparently true), then you'll harvest the plant at a time of maximum thc. Apparently the plant plays a constant game of catch up as thc is produced, but degraded by the lights at the same time. Seems that no one has ever done any lab tests on this - or if they have they haven't shown any difference, because people are constantly raising the subject and nobody is ever sticking their head up to confirm that there is a measurable difference when plants are put in darkness before harvest.

Damn what kind of strain are you growing that has a 90+ day flowering period?

I believe if you were to split the stem, it should be done early in its veg life, definitely not in flower.

Light definitely degrades THC, this is a true statement. That's why when you are curing buds in jars you want them to be kept In a dark closet.

I would much rather just bring down the humidity to 10-20% RH during the last week of flowering - this will increase terpenes/THC level without a doubt.

I've done a dark period before harvesting and have also harvest without a dark period - did not see any noticeable differences.

However, I do always chop them down right before the lights turn back on as this way it enables you to harvest the plants before the nutrients get sucked back up the plant and into your buds. Makes for a cleaner smoke for sure

The dude from the original post said the secret was to do the stem splitting in the last few days. Splitting stems in veg happens a lot, by accident.

I'm growing a few sativas and some take up to 120 days flowering time, but most of my mixed strains I usually flower for 90- 100 days to get them to where I like them.
Sunlight/uv pretty much degrades everything. So it wouldn't be any sort of stretch to assume that it degrades THC as well. It also is the main necessary ingredient needed for a plant to produce THC. Somewhere in between these two factors are a few things waiting to be explored I think. If I had a portable cannabis testing device I'd do a lot of tests on the thc levels under various conditions.

I tend to be distrustful of 'facts' that get repeated over and over with no verification. Air bubbles in clone cuttings, spilled water droplets burning leaves, periods of darkness before flowering/before harvest, the need to dry harvested plants in darkness, the 'fact' that curing stops and will 'never restart' if you overdry your harvest, etc etc.
With access to a good lab ('good' meaning cheap/free ;) ) to test cannabinoids and terpenes we could really refine the harvesting and curing process.

Tried it once. Made the weed stronger than the plant that didn't get split. But I think I did it too early because the buds stopped growing.

The 48 hour dark period kinda tricks the plant in to thinking its not going to get any light or dieing and uses all of its
Energy to shoot up and premote
Some fast growth my dad taught me
This as a kid but not with cannabis lol

Happy growing .
Does this work with autos too?

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

People grow other plants?
Lol

.. i believe so oddly it has me questioning why oh why ?? ... Mary is the only plant worth growing imo that and coconuts lol

Happy growing .

I've heard of this but it was for different reason then as posted in that article. Supposedly it helps the plant dry out an finish quicker so you don't have to wait as long for your buds to cure it'll just consume it's self of all remaining water an nutrients so from what I remember your not post to do it till you've flushed your plants,but now I'm more curious of trying it never cared much of new things to make them cure faster as I've found if ya rush perfection you'll screw up.

Back
Top Bottom