Stunted Growth

tmwilko

This is my second attempt at growing indoors. My set-up is under T-5 floro lights. I sprouted a pack of 7 feminized seeds from Gypsy all at the same time (mid-March). Four of the plants are doing real well and are almost at the height I want to start budding. The other three are not. One initially did well but seemed to stop growing after the first month and now it seems to have an issue with yellowing leaves. The other two never made it past the sprout stage yet they are still alive. They have only the first few small leaves on them. They have all been growing under the same conditions although now the weaker plants I have placed under lights with less time.

So my question is what is wrong with these three plants and what can I do to help them grow?

photo462.JPG

View image in gallery

These are the healthy ones

Medicatetoday, are you saying that the company gave me a mix of different seeds? Ok. I buy that. But what can, if anything, I do to make them all grow. How is it possible for the two sprouts to be alive but never grow?

I was thinking it was a grow journal :laughtwo::laughtwo: By the way check out mine in the signature link.

The big ones look nice! sometimes is just bad phenos or bad seeds man,you cant do nothing about it, wait one more week or so, if you dont see a difference keep just the good ones.

The stunted and yellowing one looks like nitrogen def to me, also she looks wilted like she is being over watered or not enough soil drainage... others look beautiful, keep up the good work.

also this is MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE for starting sprouts, I dont recommend starting them in large pots like that, I prefer to start them in either rapid rooters or peat moss pellets, first off the pot holds so much water and the roots arnt big enough to drink it, and if the soil never dries out the roots are not as encouraged to grow and search for water, and also the roots are not getting the required amount of oxygen. Like I stated before, I start in rapid rooters or peat moss pellets, once the roots grow out the side I plant in small 6" pots, once the plants get about 6" - 1 foot tall I transplant into 5 gallon pots. But like someone else stated some seedlings just have weak genetics and die off...

EDIT: Now that i look closer at the stunted plant pic, it looks like your leaf tips might be burnt, if this is the case then I'm going with nute burn which caused a nute lockout, this can be cured by flushing the soil. If you can post zoomed in photos, and the soil your using and your nute schedule then people can help you properly diagnose your plant. Also you should check the PPM and PH of the water runoff and post the number, this requires a PPM meter and a PH meter which you can buy at your local hydroponics store.

Thanks IGotGreen. what is nute? do you mean fertilizers? If so I'm not using any. just plain bagged soil and watering. All the plants are growing under the same conditions. I hear what your saying about using the big pots for seedlings, though i only water a little around the sprouts not the whole pot until the plants got bigger. Just trying to save money and time I guess. Also I'm guessing your right about the two sprouts maybe being bad genetics. It's just weird that they are alive but not growing at all after 3 months. They must be undead zombie sprouts. lol.

photo_17_11.JPG

Here is another photo of the stunted smaller plant. I guess it doesn't really look that bad. I took off some of the deader yellow leaves so it appears more green. It's just that it never reached the height of the other plants and seemed like it stopped growing but I think I noticed it getting a taller shoot in the center today.

Ok it looks like it is nute burned. and yes nutes is short for nutrients which is fertilizer or plant food.. As for bagged soil do you know the type? does is say what NPK is has (usually it has numbers like 10-10-10 somewhere on the bag. But the real thing to watch is the new growth, because leaves that were damaged before will not turn green so that could be an old problem. If there is new growth coming out and it is a nice color green (not pale green, yellow, or dark green with burnt tips) then you should be fine. The soil mixture could of been to "hot" (to much fertilizer) for the plant at a young age which could of caused that damage, and now that you put a good amount of water through the soil by watering regularly you flushed some of the nutrients out meaning the problem is gone. You may be wondering well the soil worked fine for the other plants why is this one getting burnt? Well each plant even if it is the same strain has different tolerance for nutrients, some plants might need a lot more than others. I have done a grow with 12 plants and I used the same dose of nutes for them all and some got burnt while others needed more, and they were all the same strain.

Hope I have helped you a little bit, and good luck!!

Hey IGotGreen. Yea i used regular garden or topsoil bags from HomeDepot. Wasn't supposed to be any added fertilizer in them. I guess it's like you say that seeds from the same strain are all a little different and some survive better than others. It's probably best then to grow as many plants as possible to insure a good harvest.

i think i'll keep what i got going. I am planning on starting the budding phase by the end of the month anyways. i might let the smaller one grow a little longer if it continues to improve.

Thanks you have been a good help!

Back
Top Bottom