Support Federal Legislation To End Marijuana Prohibition

420 Warrior

Support Federal Legislation To End Marijuana Prohibition

Lawmakers for the first time have introduced legislation in Congress that seeks to end the federal criminalization of the personal use of marijuana.

H.R. 2306, entitled the 'Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011,' prohibits the federal government from prosecuting adults who use or possess marijuana by removing the plant, and its primary psychoactive constituent, THC, from the five schedules of the federal Controlled Substances Act of 1970.

Under present law, all varieties of the marijuana plant are defined as illicit Schedule I controlled substances, defined as possessing 'a high potential for abuse,' and 'no currently accepted medical use in treatment.'

The 'Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act' seeks to federally deregulate the personal possession and use of marijuana by adults. It marks the first time that members of Congress have introduced legislation to eliminate the federal criminalization of marijuana since the passage of the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937.

Language in the act mimics changes enacted by Congress to repeal the federal prohibition of alcohol. Passage of this measure would remove the existing conflict between federal law and the laws of those sixteen states that allow for the limited use of marijuana under a physicians' supervision. It would also allow state governments that wish to fully legalize and regulate the responsible use, possession, production, and distribution of marijuana for all adults to be free to do so without federal interference.

The federal criminalization of marijuana has failed to reduce the public's demand or access to cannabis, and it has imposed enormous fiscal and human costs upon the American people. it's time to end this failed public policy and to provide state governments with the freedom to enact alternative strategies -- such as medicalization, decriminalization, and/or legalization -- without running afoul of the federal law.

End Marijuana Prohibition - NORML

Just a little helpful tip on how to personalize your letter to your rep ; :thumb:

This is the kind of thing I like to add to the end of NORML's prewritten letters to our reps to make them realize they are'nt just dealing with a standard NORML letter, but a concerned US citizen/voter

I know I speak for the silent 10's of thousands of friend's, neighbors, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, families "VOTERS!" who live in absolute fear of your intolerent, militant law enforcment agents who's ONLY mission seems to be disrupting lives and breaking up happy homes over a plant that has a track record of 0 deaths ever in history...I sure wish I could say the same for alcohol, tobacco and pharmacuticals.

Please call off the dog's, we are not terrorest and should not be treated accordingly.

These enforcment agents seem dangerously reminicent of the Nazi's in occupied europe during WWII in which our brave men faught and died to rid our world of!

You have control of OUR lives in YOUR hands, please don't let us down.

:420:

Back
Top Bottom