Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Yes should not be a problem my friend I am up at a fishing camp with limited internet sorry for the late reply.
I have 12 cobs with me which I have not had to sweat as the temps outside regularly hit 40c all day!
They have been dried weekly for 3 weeks and then back into the heat.
They look great once I get back to the city at the end of the month I will post some pics.
I cant wait to sample them after a month of curing/cooking/aging ha ha.

Thank you so much for the reply. This is my first big batch(not that big but OK) and it is taking longer than my previous small COB. Great to hear that you keep your stash in vac. for 3 weeks. This bag is in vac. for 2 weeks and I was thinking that it might still have more time before breaking the vac. for good.

So I have finished sweating ( for 24h in a Yoghurt device ) and fermenting my TrainWreck ( for 6 days at 27-30 C ) and I'm going to dry the outside for 1 hour or 2 until it's dry to the touch.

As I have ZERO experience, I have taken a picture of the cob in its current state : would the experienced users say that all seems fine ? smell wise, all is fine ....

Cheers

TW-GoinForADry.jpg

That looks outstanding I would dry it quite well leaving only the core moist make sure the outside is dry.
Then seal it back up and open / check it weekly the moisture from the core will spread throughout.
You will need to touch dry weekly that is dry it until it is dry on the outside to the touch.
Do this for 3 to 4 weeks during which time it should start to take on a deep sweet fruity hashish type smell.
once you get this dry it again leaving only the core moist and re seal to age for at least a month up to a year is not too long but 3 months is prime.
Keep it sealed unless you fully dry it to use it, you will not get mold if you do this.
The colors look amazing you should get a very good cure from the picture nice job my friend.

Thanks Tangwena for your advice !

I have 4 other cobs from the same strain that I will open today an Thursday ( I'll do that because on another forum, you suggested that I experiment with various durations fermenting/drying durations , so as you're the boss, I'll do it ;))

I hope that the small piece that I chopped ( to check the inside as I'm not a smoker ) will not ruin the moisture spread during this phase.

And yes, after 1 week, I will check to be sure the outside of the cob is still dry, so the moisture does its job on the terpenes.

As for the curing duration :
Cob1 ( this one ) will be opened end of April ...
Cob2 : May ( if the previous cob is finished )
Cob3 : June, ( if the previous cob is finished )
Cob4 : July , idem
Cob5 : Aug, idem

As I dont expect to be able to eat one full cob in one month ( I also have Kali China cobs being prepared ) so probably I'll start doing like you : have pieces dating for at least one year.

And of course, to finish this thread, solely based on your raving comments, I will grow Honduras x Panama ( but I'll only have time and place in September ) : meanwhile I will finish my growth of 2 Malawi hybrids.

As I talked about them, let me show you the pictures of my Kali cobs.

They are just out of their 6 days of fermenting and I'll let their outside skin dry to the touch for ( at least ) 2 hours.

They are quite dark and the smell is not suspicious ( I'm not a smoker so I cant analyze much from my nose ... some smell descritpions are just so .... imaginative :cool: that I definitely cannot relate to my experience )

The upper cob was around 50 gr before sweating .... and the below was around 84 gr.

KaliCobsJustBeforeDrying.jpg

As I talked about them, let me show you the pictures of my Kali cobs.

They are just out of their 6 days of fermenting and I'll let their outside skin dry to the touch for ( at least ) 2 hours.

They are quite dark and the smell is not suspicious ( I'm not a smoker so I cant analyze much from my nose ... some smell descritpions are just so .... imaginative :cool: that I definitely cannot relate to my experience )

The upper cob was around 50 gr before sweating .... and the below was around 84 gr.

KaliCobsJustBeforeDrying.jpg
Really a very different cure outcome but still nice, the drying ect remains the same use your nose all will be fine.
A dark cure on a sativa dom can get quite special beware ha ha.
Think the fabled Congo black, hint, it doesn't refer to the color of the leaves it was the color of the cured buds ha ha. Pure sativas especially strong ones really shine cured this way.
Taking testers is imperative to getting the feel and knowing when to do what to whom in the cob world my friend.
Sounds like you are well into a good plan my friend, things will get very interesting for you in the coming months.
I had some Panama x Honduras cob today its amazing stuff super confident high euphoric tripp its like being drunk on euphoria chewed, one of my absolute favorite effects.
i just have to hold myself back from hugging everyone its like MDMA to me ha ha.

Consecutive to the strong popular demand ( nobody asked .... ;) )
Ha Ha you will get used to it my friend its a secret only the really cool dudes know about it and best to keep it that way.
Theres those that can, those that cant and those that wont ha ha.
Then theres those that know more than everyone else and have seen the real world and the other side of this one ha ha.
They look good to me brother dry them and start aging them, in 3 months time you will wish you had a never ending supply.

Well ... I have 6 Malawi x A5 Haze and 6 Malawi x PCK currently growing, that means around 12 cobs minimum will be produced .... and on top, I have 5 Triple Cheese growing too ... ( so another 5 cobs ) ...
I think that the never ending supply is this year, especially if I can keep my dose at around 0.5 gr a day :thumb:

Now, out of pure scientific research, I cant wait for you to have access to more buds, and share nice flower processes with us.

From a new member of the cob club brother Tychomonolyth from IC beautiful cure and report

Testing Cobs from November 2018

Opening The Vacuum Packed Brick.

First small hit.

- Smells like a chunk of green/brown Indian Rope hash from 40 years ago. (Ya... I remember that).
- The shiny stuff you see is light reflecting off the surface. It's shinny like glass.

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the full image.
picture.jpg

- Heavy earthy hash flavor and smell. I'm a hash guy so I love it. Just a hint of sweet weed.
- 7/10 harshness but zero cough. Strange.
- I cut this bit off with scissors and smoked it in my hash pipe. One good toke.

20 seconds after the hit - 1st rush
- Came on me quick.
- Great giggle buzz. Stoned even.
- Dreamy.
- Heavy head.
- Euphoric.

1 1/2 minutes after
- Very clear!
- Initial rush leveled off
- Somewhat dizzy and I should be uncoordinated, but I'm not. At all.
- This is fucking great. lol. After the Honduran I picked up on Roatan, it's the best I've ever smoked, or at least very very close to it.
- God damn... it feels like the THC level is over 40% Such a small hit, and I'm flying. lol
- Getting lost listening to the Mexican (Babe Ruth), but can snap myself back to reality like flipping a switch.

30 minutes after
- Laughing and giggling at random thought.
- *Very happy feeling.
- The high has leveled off. Very smooth. Not fucked up AT ALL.
- Creativity is flowing freely. Going to attempt fixing a bug in a PHP website that's been kicking my ass off and on for about 10 months. Very intermittent piss me off issue that bites me when I least expect it.

60 minutes after
- DAMN!!! PHP Programming issue is Solved! Actually solved several in one shot! lol.
Files had a Byte Order Mark of all things. You could search forever for that without seeing it. I know. I did it.

I feel like I had a couple shots of vodka or a couple Tylenol 3s (not both at the same time thought).

2 hours after
- I'm still floating high. No crash or even a hint of coming down yet.
- Hunger just hit me. Hard. I want a donut for breakfast. And I want to eat it while playing my Gibson turned all the way up. lol
- Multitasking like a fiend. I've never had that happen. If I smoke, I'm usually a one task guy.

This could definitely be used to wean people off opioids. Seriously.
The high is *almost exactly the same minus the fucked up head, stomach, and dry mouth.

I really want to figure out a way to ferment kief/hash. That would be the MOAB.

Admittedly, I'm a serious lightweight smoker. So now I'll find a heavy smoker to test it for me and report back.

I can't believe how the cobs have crystalized.

picture.jpg

Like I said, that's not wet. The crystals are like glass.
picture.jpg

picture.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 644x900.
picture.jpg

Next steps:
- Make a dozen joints to hand out.
- Get this shit tested.

Tangwena, many thanks for introducing this wonderful process. Peace to you.

you have me sold now. been on and off this post for a long time. love the method and an amazing guy to bring this too us with sweet sues help too. I never keep enough to put it away to cure that long and this has kept me from really having a pop at it. like you I loved hash and still make it from the trim every few crops saved up. Seeing those pics has me now convinced to get it done but putting the stuff to do it together could be an issue.lol
husks for wrapping in the UK would cause a meltdown as we have only just found sweetcorn from the cob and not tins.lol. hoping our household hoover can be used somehow to shrink-wrap too. lol.
thanks for the pics and keeping the thread current. Good luck with the rest of your amazing stash

Well ... I have 6 Malawi x A5 Haze and 6 Malawi x PCK currently growing, that means around 12 cobs minimum will be produced .... and on top, I have 5 Triple Cheese growing too ... ( so another 5 cobs ) ...
I think that the never ending supply is this year, especially if I can keep my dose at around 0.5 gr a day :thumb:

Now, out of pure scientific research, I cant wait for you to have access to more buds, and share nice flower processes with us.
Holy cow batman ha ha I got 13 cobs from my last grow and I dont think I will live long enough to chew through them all at my chewing rate ha ha.
You will have the same problem I am sure the pot goes a long way cured like this and then chewed.
The Malawi A5 Haze is reported by a cobbing friend to give you special powers, you will be in for a treat my friend.
I dont need to ever grow another plant with all the cobs I have stashed, some are 5 years old and still killer effects if kept sealed up and only having a slice taken for daily use.
My daily jars all have 1 inch cuts off a cob in and they have over 15 different varieties and thats without my new batch ha ha.
That said I couldn't stop myself sowing a Malawi A5 haze seed just to see what pops ha ha.
Keep us posted on your exploits my friend your a cob club member now, we need to share our knowledge for the greater good of the unwashed masses ha ha.
Much respect brother.

you have me sold now. been on and off this post for a long time. love the method and an amazing guy to bring this too us with sweet sues help too. I never keep enough to put it away to cure that long and this has kept me from really having a pop at it. like you I loved hash and still make it from the trim every few crops saved up. Seeing those pics has me now convinced to get it done but putting the stuff to do it together could be an issue.lol
husks for wrapping in the UK would cause a meltdown as we have only just found sweetcorn from the cob and not tins.lol. hoping our household hoover can be used somehow to shrink-wrap too. lol.
thanks for the pics and keeping the thread current. Good luck with the rest of your amazing stash
You dont need husks it works fine with just a plastic vacuum bag. Vacuum sealers are cheap for a basic one try e bay.
It can be done without one but its a gamble with mold the vacuum sealer is insurance.

You dont need husks it works fine with just a plastic vacuum bag. Vacuum sealers are cheap for a basic one try e bay.
It can be done without one but its a gamble with mold the vacuum sealer is insurance.
Thanks for that logical solution Tangwena. I have been considering one for storing and transport too so love the idea its a possible. now just need to put an oz aside to do it when in a good yield position. thank you

Great Thread.

An interesting thing about COBS is that they cure anaerobicly - just like Mexican brick weed that was so prevalent in the 70s-90s. They’d take the females and males and chop them down fresh and just compress and vacuum seal them still moist then load them into concrete or tires or whatever.

While the buds were often really quite nice quality Mexican Sativa, it’s not remembered too fondly except by the blunt smokers and shotgun tokers. And by people who had access to Kine Bud as it was called back then, but preferred to smoke Schwag. It’s because in the anaerobic cure, the bud underwent a very similar anaerobic cure as AFRICAN COBS.

Lots of folks really liked the way that the anaerobicly cured bud made them feel. Seeds and stems and leaves be damned. I had a long conversation with 3 old friends about it a few years ago. We couldn’t get much else in DC in the early to mid 90s when we were in high school. That all changed when I went to NYC for college. Sour Diesel was everywhere. Beasters and Super Silver Haze too. Yet, for how poorly that Schwag was treated, it had a delightful high that’s just not possible to replicate with anything but COB cured buds.
Just a little fun fact about anaerobic vs. aerobic curing. They cause a very different effect to emerge in the final product. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Great Thread.

An interesting thing about COBS is that they cure anaerobicly - just like Mexican brick weed that was so prevalent in the 70s-90s. They’d take the females and males and chop them down fresh and just compress and vacuum seal them still moist then load them into concrete or tires or whatever.

While the buds were often really quite nice quality Mexican Sativa, it’s not remembered too fondly except by the blunt smokers and shotgun tokers. And by people who had access to Kine Bud as it was called back then, but preferred to smoke Schwag. It’s because in the anaerobic cure, the bud underwent a very similar anaerobic cure as AFRICAN COBS.

Lots of folks really liked the way that the anaerobicly cured bud made them feel. Seeds and stems and leaves be damned. I had a long conversation with 3 old friends about it a few years ago. We couldn’t get much else in DC in the early to mid 90s when we were in high school. That all changed when I went to NYC for college. Sour Diesel was everywhere. Beasters and Super Silver Haze too. Yet, for how poorly that Schwag was treated, it had a delightful high that’s just not possible to replicate with anything but COB cured buds.
Just a little fun fact about anaerobic vs. aerobic curing. They cause a very different effect to emerge in the final product. Pretty fascinating stuff.
Very true the difference being bricked or bailed up pot would be very hit and miss as to how much it was cured and whether the result was to your taste.
The aim with the cob cure is to control the cure and get the taste and aroma you prefer. Also the high which evolves continuously as the cure progresses.
They share the same causes but the results are very different.

Back
Top Bottom