Temp. for new sprouts

buckeyebonger

i just germinated 12 new seeds. commercially bought. all germinated and then popped through the soil quickly. they got to 2 or 3 inches. drooped and died. i had them in a new location under just 150 watt hps about 2 feet away. however, it has been a hot summer and that room in the basement got to about 83-85 degrees f. could the heat have been the killer? i don't know why i changed my routine on new seed and seedlings, but i will go back to my old location and lighting set-up. it always worked. but i wonder if it was heat so i can more closely monitor my new planting. don't want it to happen again. weather is crazy. same room gets almost too cold in the winter to grow without a heater

im a noob , but i got about 15 seedlings under two t5's and with door closed ive caught it up around 92 and have not had a problem , i keep it at about 87 tho. . . im thinking something else was the cause

I sprout mine in darkness on a heated pad, when they pop its straight into the veg room. I use 8 x 23W(100W eqv.) 6500k cfl's and the room is easily in that 80-85 degree range on a hot day.....So I don't think it was the temp.

Ya I'm with Kayla and daze I run 10 cfls and temps in mid to upper 80z and mine flourish! Once they grow to 6 weeks I then move them to MH ! So I also dont think it was the heat buddy

Were there nutes in the soil? Too much would kill them. Soil could be too tightly packed?
Too wet? just a few ways that i have killed seedlings..:roorrip:

my guess is nutes. i usually add a little bit of very weak organic fert. probably got too aggressive. dirt was fox farms and moisture was fine. sort of narrows it down. i just started new seeds. i will put them in soil in a day or two and will post the results. no nutes should answer the question if they grow well.

Hey guys im using the ffof line as well 50/50 and still fert normally and my girls look huge and they are loving life! Be sure to only follow your sched guidlines and use low doses in the beginning stage! The ffof and coco idea is wonderful! Will help on nuting probs! SOIL FARMERS MOUNT-up!!!!!!!

my guess is nutes. i usually add a little bit of very weak organic fert. probably got too aggressive. dirt was fox farms and moisture was fine. sort of narrows it down. i just started new seeds. i will put them in soil in a day or two and will post the results. no nutes should answer the question if they grow well.

NO additional nutrients for seedlings if you are using Fox Farms Ocean's Forest. If it is a different brand of FF, it might not be as hot but the same would still apply.

Seedlings do not require much in the way of strong light, but... A 150-watt HPS 2' away... Is it possible that they stretched trying to reach the light, the stem wasn't strong enough to hold them, and they fell over for that reason? Pictures would help.

Hey guys im using the ffof line as well 50/50 and still fert normally and my girls look huge and they are loving life! Be sure to only follow your sched guidlines and use low doses in the beginning stage! The ffof and coco idea is wonderful! Will help on nuting probs! SOIL FARMERS MOUNT-up!!!!!!!

coco? Please explain what that is.
ffof I understand.
thnx

Mine fell over from dehydration coupled with 90F heat. Once they fall, then get water, they try to reach which makes the problem worse. The top is just too heavy once they fall if the stem is not strong. IMO once they fall they need propped up for a while. I am watering 8 peat pots 2 oz each per day. I may be overwatering just a tad, but to keep them going 24 hours without water, I need to give them a soak until water comes out the bottom.

If you check my grow pics... you will see what I mean.
1st Grow In 40 Years

70s wow sorry amigo i was working all weekend!! Like maer said its coconut!!!! Definatly on that dome idea too buddy this will increase the success rates!!!get the lights as close as you can!!!! I keep lighting about 3-5 inches away and it works wonderfully!! I only have to start staking during flower( because im not scroging) you should always be LSTing anyways in my opinion!!!

Back
Top Bottom