The Basics Of Plant Lighting

some with bridgelux led chips:circle-of-love:

Are you saying that your company uses Bridgelux chips? Your website states you use Epistar. Likewise, your joomla website could use some real work... you still have the base placeholder for the Logo to go, let alone the extremely slow load time.

Are you saying that your company uses Bridgelux chips? Your website states you use Epistar. Likewise, your joomla website could use some real work... you still have the base placeholder for the Logo to go, let alone the extremely slow load time.

Hi,normal light company use mix led chip brand on whole light,not single brandhere is the detail :
Cree can not produce violet, infrared, ultraviolet crimson, other colors are available
Puri: can not produce violet, infrared, ultraviolet dark red, other colors are available
Philips: can not produce purple, UV, IR
Mitsuhiro: can not produce infrared
Epistar: can not produce purple, red, UV, IR

I am highly aware that not all companies produce diodes in all spectra. However you are wrong about a few of those.

Epistar does make 400,410nm (uva and "purple" violet), 631 639 and 660 red, 720 far red, and 850, 940 IR.
Cree does make a "crimson" that is actually what they call their 624nm.

Bridgelux only makes white and blue diodes.

What brand and model is the best to get for a 3x3 or 4x4 grow space? I am willing to spend a lot if I have to but, want the most bang for my buck. A wide sprctrum of light with low energy consumption would be best. I have done a lot of reseach and just cant decide on what to get. Thanks in advance!

I have what will probably be a stupid question but I haven't found the answer anywhere online yet. Are all HPS grow lights good for all stages of growth? Veg, Flower and Bud?

Any light source that provides enough light discussed at the beginning of this post will work. The differences will be in what spectra they provide and how the plant reacts to that light. Using HPS for the whole grow will cause your plants to stretch and have long internode lengths. But you can grow start to finish with them, yes.

ok well its the cabinet you can get from home depot for 70 bucks. and i got 6 cfls i am putting in there with a refelctor made out of duct pipe. and then i got the whole i am thinking of sending away for leds to screw in to help with flowering them. also what about air flow can i just use a computer fan?

Im a complete novice here and need help I have a basic understanding of leds but many areas are still blank I want to build a 4foot by 2foot light panel but where do you start. How many leds,what spacing,do i group them or alternate,do they loose growing properties if I use mirros etc etc etc I could go on for hours but you would get board of me and i would probably end up talking jiberish

im trying to build one that size not sure how much area it will cover eventually. but was thinking that size so i could swap and change leds on the board or even segregate portions of the board and growing area

I am thinking about going with the 600w ipower ballast w/ cool tube or maybe another brand. I have noticed that (according to the advertising) the range is between 55,000 lumens to 95,000. my question is if I buy the ipower ballast with a 55,000 lumens hps bulb, would I be able to use a bulb with higher lumen output? Or could anyone possibly point me in the direction of a possibly more reliable brand? any input would be helpful. Thank you

Nearly all 600 watt HPS bulbs should produce 85,000 to 95,000 lumens. The bulb output varies very little between different ballast unless it is designed to overdrive the bulbs. This is sometimes called the super lumens or turbocharged or 110% drive. Yes you can use a higher quality bulb in a lower quality ballast and get roughly the same output.

? for some of you. Lighting. what color spectrum does veg and flowering need most of. I run CFLs
I have blue color for starting seedlings,
Red / white for veg. n flowering.

so whats the best to use. all red in flowering or some white lights as well.

It's generally a good idea to use a mixture of spectra if at all possible. However, when using CFLs or tube fluorescent bulbs you will generally get a good spectral blend. If you are using specialty bulbs like coral fish tank antic blue or similar, it would be a good idea to have ~ 10-25% in the other end of the range.

Hi guys, thank you for this post, there are a lot of precious infos.
I have a question for you:
Is it a problem to my plants if i change my HPS with a LED lamp?
My led will arrive in 10 days and I just wanna know if I have to wait for the next cycle to switch on the led or not.
The girls are in vegetative stage (3 weeks), but one shows some kind of heat/light stress.

when changing lights, you should expect a period during which the plant will adapt to the new spectra; regardless, assuming its a full-spectrum light of decent quality and a relatively sophisticated LED spectrum, i would make the switch asap... i would want the plant to be adapted to the new light before flowering... you may want to have both lights on for a couple of days, each day moving the hps further away...

however, i defer to Hosebomber... im guessing he has extensive experience with such situations and would be interested in his wisdom :)

toodles and gl growing your healthy 'snacks'

Back
Top Bottom