The best HID lights to use and are metal halides worth the agro for veg?

Lewcus

hi guys im new to the game. just a quick question, what are the best value HID lights on the market particularly HPS? Trying to do research but only LED reviews pop up. I am also seeing claims that Metal halides are better for veg and HPS for flower but aint sure wether its worth just sticking with the HPS for both. Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

You can stick with an HPS for both, although MH is recommended for vegetative growth. Eye Hortilux makes a very well liked bulb, both MH and their Super HPS.

oh. what I meant was even if the price is higher is it worth paying that much. is the quality worth the price?

I can't answer that question for you. Maybe look and see if anyone has ever done a side by side comparison of a budget bulb versus a Hortilux.

oh. what I meant was even if the price is higher is it worth paying that much. is the quality worth the price?

Pretty much the answer is yes. It just depends on how much you can spend on light bulbs at the time of purchase. Pretty much any hortilux bulb will be good for around 2000-2500 hours. That's about three bloom cycles - if you only use them for flowering. The cheap brands start going at around 1000 hours. A nine week bloom cycle is 756 hours, so you'd really only be able to get one full bloom cycle out of the cheap brands.

hi guys im new to the game. just a quick question, what are the best value HID lights on the market particularly HPS? Trying to do research but only LED reviews pop up. I am also seeing claims that Metal halides are better for veg and HPS for flower but aint sure wether its worth just sticking with the HPS for both. Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey lew, you could use whats called a 'dual spectrum' bulb for the whole grow which is what I use. They're essentially a blend of MH & HPS, I think 40% MH & 60% HPS. Works really well & as far as I can tell other growers like it too. I think a balance of colors is good for the plants rather than a constant spectrum. Good luck.

Hey lew, you could use whats called a 'dual spectrum' bulb for the whole grow which is what I use. They're essentially a blend of MH & HPS, I think 40% MH & 60% HPS. Works really well & as far as I can tell other growers like it too. I think a balance of colors is good for the plants rather than a constant spectrum. Good luck.

I like the dual spectrum bulbs too (as far as I know only hortilux makes them?). I think your right about the ratio SolMj. Those bulbs are like 160 usd though aren't they? I think that's how much I payed for one when I bought it. I really liked the results in terms of frostiness. But I'm pretty sure it dropped the yield down just a bit.

thanks fellas. just looked at the hortilux duel spectrum bulb and am going to use those. I also believe a balance of colors will help them develop more during veg because of the blue spectrum. hopefully yield isn't affected too badly loool :thumb: anyway nice one for the advice coz its a minefield for us noobs when it comes to bulb selection. So many claims from different companies.

Yeah don't worry about the yield drop too much. Sometimes my job makes me think in terms of dollar signs too much rather than trying to get the best quality smoke. If you tried to bloom under MH bulbs, you would definitely see less of a yield vs a standard HPS, but those dual spect bulbs are meant to be mostly HPS with accents of MH, so it's actually probably your best option to get the best of both worlds.

Yeah don't worry about the yield drop too much. Sometimes my job makes me think in terms of dollar signs too much rather than trying to get the best quality smoke. If you tried to bloom under MH bulbs, you would definitely see less of a yield vs a standard HPS, but those dual spect bulbs are meant to be mostly HPS with accents of MH, so it actually probably your best option to get the best of both worlds.

Yea I thought as much. quality for slightly less quantity is a no brainer for me . Nice one for the input iwltfum. another quick question. can eye hortilux bulbs run on digital ballasts or e-ballasts? whats my best option?

Yea I thought as much. quality for slightly less quantity is a no brainer for me . Nice one for the input iwltfum. another quick question. can eye hortilux bulbs run on digital ballasts or e-ballasts? whats my best option?

I'm not really sure what the difference is between eye hortilux and just hortilux. But I have run hortilux bulbs in digital balasts no problem. In fact, with the the digital balasts, a high quality bulb (like hortilux) is preferred over the cheaper bulbs because the digi ballasts can be a little rougher on the bulbs than magnetic ballasts.

I like the dual spectrum bulbs too (as far as I know only hortilux makes them?). I think your right about the ratio SolMj. Those bulbs are like 160 usd though aren't they? I think that's how much I payed for one when I bought it. I really liked the results in terms of frostiness. But I'm pretty sure it dropped the yield down just a bit.

I use a sunmaster dual spec so other companies make them also...but mines were about 85USD for a 1000w? big difference in price, the one you got might last longer I suppose. In any case will use them until one day maybe I go LED :hmmmm:

thanks fellas. just looked at the hortilux duel spectrum bulb and am going to use those. I also believe a balance of colors will help them develop more during veg because of the blue spectrum. hopefully yield isn't affected too badly loool :thumb: anyway nice one for the advice coz its a minefield for us noobs when it comes to bulb selection. So many claims from different companies.

Can't go wrong with a dual spec mate :grinjoint: now you ain't far away from becoming a ganja grower, exciting stuff!! what strains you thinking of?

I'm not really sure what the difference is between eye hortilux and just hortilux. But I have run hortilux bulbs in digital balasts no problem. In fact, with the the digital balasts, a high quality bulb (like hortilux) is preferred over the cheaper bulbs because the digi ballasts can be a little rougher on the bulbs than magnetic ballasts.

:thanks: iwltfum sorry I see that eye hortilux and hortilux are the same thing. just me being anal loool. What digital ballast would you recommend for the hortilux bulb? I don't mind spending a bit more for better quality. Would the digi ballast you use be ok for the dual spectrum hortlilux bulb, the dual arch??

I use a sunmaster dual spec so other companies make them also...but mines were about 85USD for a 1000w? big difference in price, the one you got might last longer I suppose. In any case will use them until one day maybe I go LED :hmmmm:

Can't go wrong with a dual spec mate :grinjoint: now you ain't far away from becoming a ganja grower, exciting stuff!! what strains you thinking of?

im looking to grow amnesia lemon and cookie kush. I cant wait to get started. theres just so much to learn loool can feel overwhelming :volcano-smiley:

:thanks: iwltfum sorry I see that eye hortilux and hortilux are the same thing. just me being anal loool. What digital ballast would you recommend for the hortilux bulb? I don't mind spending a bit more for better quality. Would the digi ballast you use be ok for the dual spectrum hortlilux bulb, the dual arch??

I mostly run magnetic ballasts because I know how to fix them and I can get the parts easily. Someone gave me a phantom digital ballast a couple years ago and I break it out when I need some extra light. I love the phantom, but it's the only one I've used and they are apparently top of the line (and the price reflects it) so I couldn't really give you a good recommendation on digital ballasts since I don't have alot of experience with them.

im looking to grow amnesia lemon and cookie kush. I cant wait to get started. theres just so much to learn loool can feel overwhelming :volcano-smiley:

Cookies with kush on top & a slice of lemon, nice one! dont worry about it, its your first grow so have fun with it & treat it as a learning curve. You're gonna learn a lot from it...& if need be you've got the likes of us to help out, but I wouldn't take my advice too seriously though without triple checking :rofl:. Hope you get started ASAP cause im looking forward to your journal, I wanna see how the...mmmmmmmm cookies with kush on top turn out lol!!

I mostly run magnetic ballasts because I know how to fix them and I can get the parts easily. Someone gave me a phantom digital ballast a couple years ago and I break it out when I need some extra light. I love the phantom, but it's the only one I've used and they are apparently top of the line (and the price reflects it) so I couldn't really give you a good recommendation on digital ballasts since I don't have alot of experience with them.

kk thanks mate gonna have a look at the phantom now. Did the phantom digi work with the 1000w hortilux?? If not i may just use the magnetic ballasts since they seem more compatible with hortilux.

Cookies with kush on top & a slice of lemon, nice one! dont worry about it, its your first grow so have fun with it & treat it as a learning curve. You're gonna learn a lot from it...& if need be you've got the likes of us to help out, but I wouldn't take my advice too seriously though without triple checking :rofl:. Hope you get started ASAP cause im looking forward to your journal, I wanna see how the...mmmmmmmm cookies with kush on top turn out lol!!

hahaha thanks mate ill keep u guys updated. For sure ill be harassing yall for info lol . im about 2 weeks from start. got most of the bits ie: intakes, coco,nutes and circulators etc. Just having trouble with the lighting equipment. so glad you fellas helped clear that up. yea its my first and you can get confused by all the different brands claiming there superiority loool. Ill post some picks and stuff when im balls deep lol

Back
Top Bottom