The Mountain: Grow Support From The Over 50 Club

afternoon
got a question ... I would like to order some beans from one of the site's sponsers, and I'd rather not use plastic...

now I did go to the site to inquire, well they say to print off a copy of there order form and send it in with $$$ (cash), well the problem is I don't have a printer and I don't know anyone I could trust to print off anything like this at this time. has anyone here had this same problem? I don't know if they will do it or not, but, I thought I'd email them and see if they would send a couple order forms cause spring is comin and I want to be ready....:helpsmilie:.....

what can I say, any and all suggestions are much appreciated .......:thanks:

be well

fringe50

Fringe50,

Just go to the library. They have printers attached to the PC's. You can browse and print right there and no one will be the wiser.

Maui

Maui

thanx for the reply, never thought of the library, good idea. i'll try Monday and see what is what.....

I did post this same question in one other spot and got some good advise about order forms and using POMO and other good suggestion's
which I will be putting to use here shortly.

again, Maui appreciate ya taking the time to reply...:thumb::Namaste:

be well

fringe50

Morning ..........:14 I posted this same request in another sub-form and I just wanted to say I got the info I needed and I'm taking steps to get ready .....:):nomo: now ..back to reading

Be well and thanx for lookin

Fringe50

Hey Folks I thought I'd take a sec and bring you all up to date with my auto grow experiment for this year. I have really gone over board with my auto seeds this year. I can't help but believe that autos are only going to get better and better as time goes by and my goal is to try to dispel some of the mis-information that is out there concerning their growth and cultural techniques that may be effective.

I am growing this year at two locations roughly 50 miles apart Both indoors and out. The varieties that we have chosen are:

Northern lights
Afghani Hog
Auto Pounder
Auto Pounder with Cheese
Berry Ryder
Candy Kush
Polar Express
Mig 29
Critical Chaze Auto
AK47 Auto
Dinafem Fruit
Moby Dick Auto
Great White Shark Auto
And there are one or two more that I am forgetting. We will be evaluating a number of results. Obviously yield and potency but also anumber of cultural techniques. Among these are:

Effects of transplanting, training and pruning techniques container size and adaptability to thrive directly in the soil. Also we will judge these varieties for their ability to handle stress in guerilla grows. On top of all of this I am resurrecting my coconut milk feeding trials.

Of course We will be doing our normal regular flowering grows of our own seed lines. I will do my best to keep you updated as we go through the season.

For those of you that don't know I am Uptheholler but due to my computer crashing I have had to become uptheholler2. I encourage you to read my blog 'What a Long Strange Trip It's Been.' if you would like to learn more about me and get some outdoor growing tips.

mornin ....

i'm going to try one auto this season, along with reg. photo's and i will be doing this outside in prepared ground, i havn't tryed it in containers. the ? i have about the auto's is ,,,, if i just plant it in the ground just how big do they get? or is it better to put them into a 3-5 gal. container?? the seed is a fem/auto/ ''massive midget'' and it's grow time is , from germination to harvest is 55-65 days.. ummm oh yea...lol it's also suppose to do well in my area.... 8^) i don't do indoor, i prefer the sunshine , i am fortunaate that i can do it this way , some day i'll try the indoor , they have some cool lights out now , we'll see.. any hoot... ''upthe holler2'' i tryed to check out ur blog but no luck in finding it...
would like to read it, i'm all for learning outdoor tricks ,,, so, point me in the right direction...lol

i have to say thanx to all who come here and share their knowledge, i came across this site last June and haave learned SO much, thank you ..........:Namaste:

best of luck with the auto experiment

be well

fringe50

It's under my old original name uptheholler. if you go to search bar and just enter uptheholler you'll see it.

morning

I did try the ''uptheholler'' in the search box, ummmm no luck, even after I went to ur profile and tried form there, no luck........thanx anyway

:Namaste:..... I found it, now back to reading....:rollit:

be well

fringe50

Since spring is definitely here I thought that I'd address a common question that I come across.
What should I do if the seed husk or shell doesn't come off when the seedling emerges? This is a common problem especially when using rock wool cubes or some of the lighter less dense potting mixes on the market. In natural soil there is enough dense organic matter or clay
to force the husk off of the seedling. It actually protects the growing tip or apex of the seedling as it pushes itself above the soil.

If you have seedling that doesn't shed it's husk it is best to manually remove it. If you don't, the two small seedling leaves will delay or prevent or distort the emergence of the first 2 true leaves as they emerge. My method for removal is to use a box knife or razor blade and a pair of tweezers to carefully remove the husk. Try to not to damage the seedling leaves but if you do it's not the end of the world those seed leaves drop off eventually any how. Some times after you remove the husk you will still find the leaves enclosed in a thin membrane.
I usually take a razor blade and gently slice this to release the two seedling leaves and that's it.

Congratulations! Your little baby will now continue to grow unimpeded! One last note I often hear folks say to mist this husk or seedling to soften it up. I don't recommend this method water just allows the entrance of bacteria or fungus pathogens

Best of luck!

Subbed, great info so far, thanks folks for sharing. I'll catch up through the day! :thumb::thanks:

Since spring is definitely here I thought that I'd address a common question that I come across.
What should I do if the seed husk or shell doesn't come off when the seedling emerges? This is a common problem especially when using rock wool cubes or some of the lighter less dense potting mixes on the market. In natural soil there is enough dense organic matter or clay
to force the husk off of the seedling. It actually protects the growing tip or apex of the seedling as it pushes itself above the soil.

If you have seedling that doesn't shed it's husk it is best to manually remove it. If you don't, the two small seedling leaves will delay or prevent or distort the emergence of the first 2 true leaves as they emerge. My method for removal is to use a box knife or razor blade and a pair of tweezers to carefully remove the husk. Try to not to damage the seedling leaves but if you do it's not the end of the world those seed leaves drop off eventually any how. Some times after you remove the husk you will still find the leaves enclosed in a thin membrane.
I usually take a razor blade and gently slice this to release the two seedling leaves and that's it.

Congratulations! Your little baby will now continue to grow unimpeded! One last note I often hear folks say to mist this husk or seedling to soften it up. I don't recommend this method water just allows the entrance of bacteria or fungus pathogens

Best of luck!

I just dealt with this with a couple new seeds. I wanted to try your method (although, I just read about it, but had an idea in my mind how to resolve which is close to what you say), but, I was nervous and went with the spraying water and time method. It worked, but next time I won't be nervous to take it off, thanks!

Hey folks I was going to post this on my blog but instead I thought that I would reach more folks here on the Mountain. The view up here is great! Ask yourself this question are you a miner that's getting mined by all of the gadgets, gizmos and products that are on the market? Are you having your wallet picked by people rushing to profit from your desire to grow the best weed possible? There are more things out there today to help growers with the crop that we love but how effective are they really?

Let me tell you how you can find out. Try a grow in your room or even outside with nothing! What!!! my girls can't take it! That's cruel!
No that's the only way that you can really gauge the effectiveness of every thing else in your grow. How good is your potting mix? you don't know...you are constantly amending it. How good is your water? You don't know your are constantly adjusting pH.

Here is my point take one plant in your next grow. Assuming it is the same variety, use it as a control plant. Give it the same potting mix and just water for the entire grow. Give every other plant just one of the "Magic Must Have Items" that you have been spending your hard earned cash on. Give one plant every thing. Now you're in a position to evaluate and judge what is truly effective. At the end judge yield and plant quality. Of course if you have a pest in your room like the dreaded spider mites you will have to control those across the board.

What you will find is what your plants actually need to thrive and what is a waste of cash. Don't be a miner getting mined! I know what your thinking.... Holler I can't grow my plants without that Super Secret Bongo Sauce that I spend 50 bucks an ounce on. Well let's see if that's true. As always, best of luck my friends in all you do!

Hey MassMedMan! From looking at what you have been achieving you don't need much advice from me ...but...if I can ever be of assistance to you please don't ever hesitant to ask. I love growing anything!

Haha, I have much to learn, that's very kind of you. Thank you. :Namaste:

I enjoy your perspective on things,, I think I'll be here often ;)

I use the side of a wooden toothpick to remove the shell/membrane, rolling the stick between my finger and thumb.

The roughness of the wood catches the membrane and rolls it off quite easily, usually without damaging the cotyledons.

Last time, I got the shell but missed the membrane and the plant grew 4 cotyledons instead of 2.

IMG_073331.JPG

Yeah, stuck shells can be removed with a toothpick indeed. Small pince + toothpicka, working with two hands does the job even better.

Hey folks I was going to post this on my blog but instead I thought that I would reach more folks here on the Mountain. The view up here is great! Ask yourself this question are you a miner that's getting mined by all of the gadgets, gizmos and products that are on the market? Are you having your wallet picked by people rushing to profit from your desire to grow the best weed possible? There are more things out there today to help growers with the crop that we love but how effective are they really?

Let me tell you how you can find out. Try a grow in your room or even outside with nothing! What!!! my girls can't take it! That's cruel!
No that's the only way that you can really gauge the effectiveness of every thing else in your grow. How good is your potting mix? you don't know...you are constantly amending it. How good is your water? You don't know your are constantly adjusting pH.

Here is my point take one plant in your next grow. Assuming it is the same variety, use it as a control plant. Give it the same potting mix and just water for the entire grow. Give every other plant just one of the "Magic Must Have Items" that you have been spending your hard earned cash on. Give one plant every thing. Now you're in a position to evaluate and judge what is truly effective. At the end judge yield and plant quality. Of course if you have a pest in your room like the dreaded spider mites you will have to control those across the board.

What you will find is what your plants actually need to thrive and what is a waste of cash. Don't be a miner getting mined! I know what your thinking.... Holler I can't grow my plants without that Super Secret Bongo Sauce that I spend 50 bucks an ounce on. Well let's see if that's true. As always, best of luck my friends in all you do!

Interesting, you have just verbalized what I've been thinking as well. I am very much leaning towards going with composted soil made from scraps from the kitchen and some of God's creatures (worms). After growing both organically and with synthetic nutes the difference in smoke quality is enormous.

That's very interesting your insight as to the difference in smoke quality from different nutrient sources. I have never noticed that in produce or pot. In fact I have done taste tests in my market with melons and tomatoes grown both ways. It resulted in my customers picking the Miraclegro fertilized melons and the organically fertilized tomatoes. Remember one other thing before you shell out cash. Elements are just that...elemental. Plants. don't know, nor, do they care about the source. It's not like a plant is saying I'll take up the nitrogen from manure and not from Ammonium Nitrate. It just knows that it needs nitrogen. It also doesn't care where it's calcium comes from in the case of minerals, egg shells or liquid calcium. It's all the same. The difference in results actually has to do with Availability to the plant.

Now when we speak about availability that is another discussion entirely. It can involve a whole range of variables. pH levels, percent organic matter in the medium and the relative decomposition of that matter, moisture levels, temperatures and the list goes on. I will take on the subject of nutrient up take another time. But remember a plant really doesn't care where it gets it's nutrients from it just knows that it needs them. The difference that we see in results is usually the question of availability and the all important TIMING of applications.

I will try to resurrect my plant stage and timing discussion soon since it really ties in with reducing your expense of producing top shelf weed.
So often with pot growing as in life it's not what you do but WHEN you do it that is most important. That's true for wedding anniversaries and growing good quality plants of all types. For the 47 years that I have been farming I have always said, "On a farm you gotta do what you gotta do when you gotta do it!"

Back
Top Bottom