The tips of the leaves have gone white

SarahJane211

Growing in Coco coir + Perlite, and the tip of the older leaves are going white, all the new growth is fine.
I'm thinking it's a cal-mag problem ..... as this plant missed out on getting any.
I've added some cal-mag to this mornings feed, so hopefully the newer leaves won't suffer.
Do plants grown in coco need cal-mag with every feed?

white tips.jpg

Growing in Coco coir + Perlite, and the tip of the older leaves are going white, all the new growth is fine.
I'm thinking it's a cal-mag problem ..... as this plant missed out on getting any.
I've added some cal-mag to this mornings feed, so hopefully the newer leaves won't suffer.
Do plants grown in coco need cal-mag with every feed?

white tips.jpg
hi sarahjane, can I just ask what your feeding the plants at what strength and more importantly, what the ph of the water is.

Doesn't look like calcium or magnesium to me. How do you figure it missed out on getting any? No, not all plants grown in coco need calmag. In fact in many cases it causes more problems than it solves. I'd continue feeding daily at reduced strength.

Because it looked a bit like this photo from here (next to the title 'Calcium deficiency' .......... and I hadn't put any cal-mag in it's feed for a while.
calcium-deficency.jpg

You're 30-20-10 (3-2-1) ratio fertilizer is far from a good ratio of cannabis. You should be looking for something that is closer to a 2-1-3 ratio. Looks like the beginning of Potassium deficiency. Potassium is a mobile nutrient so it's going to effect older leaves first. What isn't supplied by your nutrients, to support new growth, is going to be drawn from old leaves. Your plant is basically canibalizing itself. Also, 1/4 strength is very ambiguous. Grams per gallon of grams per liter would be a better measure. PH for coco should be between 5.8-6.0. Hope that helps.

You're 30-20-10 (3-2-1) ratio fertilizer is far from a good ratio of cannabis. You should be looking for something that is closer to a 2-1-3 ratio. Looks like the beginning of Potassium deficiency. Potassium is a mobile nutrient so it's going to effect older leaves first. What isn't supplied by your nutrients, to support new growth, is going to be drawn from old leaves. Your plant is basically canibalizing itself. Also, 1/4 strength is very ambiguous. Grams per gallon of grams per liter would be a better measure. PH for coco should be between 5.8-6.0.

I have a very limited choice of fertilisers, anything marketed at cannabis is prohibited from sale or import.
Found WESCO ปุ๋ย 20-10-30 ..... I'll try that.

Feeding 30-20-10 at 1/4 strength when I water it every other day. I aim for a PH of 6 - 6.3
supplies.jpg
Sorry Sarah, I have no experience with those nutrients. Those p k numbers on the little packet seem very high, are you giving the plant all of these products at once?
As for ph,coco is considered hydro. I use hydro and I go for 5.9. I believe the range that's good for me is 5.8-6.2.maybe aim for the 6 would be good. Also, in coco it's good to water everyday, not only to feed but to put oxygen in the roots system.

Sorry Sarah, I have no experience with those nutrients. Those p k numbers on the little packet seem very high, are you giving the plant all of these products at once?
As for ph,coco is considered hydro. I use hydro and I go for 5.9. I believe the range that's good for me is 5.8-6.2.maybe aim for the 6 would be good. Also, in coco it's good to water everyday, not only to feed but to put oxygen in the roots system.

Blue packet is for veg.
Unopened packet is for bloom.

I have a very limited choice of fertilisers, anything marketed at cannabis is prohibited from sale or import.
Found WESCO ปุ๋ย 20-10-30 ..... I'll try that.

That will work. You can use it from start to finish. Forget using the bloom food. The Wesco 20-10-30 has very little Cal-Mag in it, so you will also have to supplement it too. You'll probably use about 2-2.5g per gallon (or 4 liters) of the Wesco and about 5ml of Cal-Mag (assuming a 2-0-0 product). You could use about 5ml per gallon of a Silica supplement too (or make your own per the directions in my signature) although it's not nearly as important as the Wesco and Cal-Mag.

That will work. You can use it from start to finish. Forget using the bloom food. The Wesco 20-10-30 has very little Cal-Mag in it, so you will also have to supplement it too. You'll probably use about 2-2.5g per gallon (or 4 liters) of the Wesco and about 5ml of Cal-Mag (assuming a 2-0-0 product). You could use about 5ml per gallon of a Silica supplement too (or make your own per the directions in my signature) although it's not nearly as important as the Wesco and Cal-Mag.
You should be able to get molasses from a grocery store...You can use that for cal/mag, I have, it worked, however the nutrients are still pretty strong even at 1/4 for a little guy like that... IMO, however I am a rookie...

At least the bag I found HERE says the Calcium and Magnesium are only .05%. That's not enough, which is why you'll need to supplement.

PS - there's not a lot of Iron in the base fertilizer either, so hopefully you have a Cal-Mag product that also has some Fe in it. Many of them do.

You should be able to get molasses from a grocery store...You can use that for cal/mag,

Or Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and tap water (if it has calcium in it).

What is the best mix ratio of 30-20-10?

Ratio of 30-20-10... to what?

The ratio to mix 30-20-10 fertilizer with water.

You'll need about 2g per gallon to get the N a mature plant needs (about 150ppm N), but you'll only be getting about 20% of the K the plant needs at that stage (should be about 200ppm K but you'll only be supplying 40). You can't simply up the dosage to get the needed K or you'll fry the plant with too much N. As I stated earlier, 30-20-10 on its own is a lousy ratio for cannabis.

When mixing the nutes, add the Cal-mag first, mix it, let it sit 15-20 minutes, then add your NPK nutes, mix, let it sit another 15-20 minutes, then PH/PPM your water to a PH of 5.8 for coco and a PPM for 1000-1200 for early veg growth . Coco should not be allowed to go dry and needs water w/nutes daily, some growers water several times daily.

The ratio to mix 30-20-10 fertilizer with water.
Welcome to the group.

As for your question of the ratio of water to fertilizer, it should be on the bag or bottle or box.

As has been pointed out the 30-20-10 is the wrong product for Cannabis. No matter how a grower plays around with the ratio of that fertilizer to water the ratio of Nitrogen to Phosphorous to Potassium will always be wrong.

It might help if you could tell us how old your plants are and if they have already started to go into flowering.

Back
Top Bottom