The X Files - Pics of very strange seedlings

FoxMulder

Hello fellow growers!
I grow MJ plants as a fun and fascinating hobby with very nice benefits. :)
I made a few small grow cabinets and only grow a few plants at a time.
I have read a lot and researched a lot (the forums here are the best in the world) so I am knowledgeable but not very experienced, having grown only a handful of plants so far.
I am growing three plants at the moment, and two of them are the strangest seedlings I have ever seen.
So I thought I would show them to you and get your opinions and comments on them.
The strain is called Wild West sativa, I purchased 10 seeds in 2007 from Vancouver Seed Bank (a big thumbs up recommendation for them, only one seed failed to germinate out of nine used so far, and that seed was five years old).

OK, here is a picture of "Becky", 3 weeks old, grown from one of the original Wild West seeds, and looking very normal.
Just showing it for comparison purposes.
becky_3wks_C.jpg

Now, here is a picture of "Allie", 4 weeks old, also grown from one of the original Wild West seeds.
The leaves are very small, very ridged and curly, and all are covered in large trichomes!
Huh ?
Either a different strain of seed was put in the order, or something else is happening ?
I have never seen a picture of a seedling like this anywhere.
Any ideas ?
allie_4wks_006.jpg

My third baby requires a little background info.
I grew a female Wild West plant in 2009, there were a few male bananas on it early in the flowering, probably due to a little stress, but i ignored them, and the plant turned out fantastic.
It did however produce a handful of seeds, so apparently it self-pollenated itself.
So this year I thought I would try these seeds and see what happens.
Well, out of all these small hermie seeds, only one made it to the growing stage.
So here is a picture of "Daisy", at 4 weeks old.
It started growing shoots everywhere in every direction, and looks more like a bush than a plant!
Huh ?
I also noticed there is no sign of any trichomes on any of the leaves, but I don't know how relevant that is at this stage.
A pot plant that thinks it's a shrubbery LOL?
Any ideas ?
daisy_4wk_003.jpg

Thanks in advance for your comments, the knowledge you share is so very much appreciated.
Wishing good growing to all!

Re: The X Files . . . pics of very strange seedlings

all three have different soil. Is Allie in "pro mix" by any chance? I had some plants that did that very same thing. I think it was the soil ...

Doh ! (as I slap my own forehead) Thank you Buckshot, the soil !
I used some leftover generic potting soil for Allie, it must have been a few years old.
I used old leftover soil from a different brand of generic soil for Daisy.
And Becky the normal one has fresh new soil made by Schultz.
I just assumed that soil is soil and it doesn't matter how old it is.
Just how wrongly have I assumed ?

The age of the soil should not matter, unless it was stored in a poor place. The PH and water retention were the killers of my plants.

Thank you for the info. The old soil was sealed and double bagged, so i think it was stored okay. And it worked fine for my previous plants. I will see if I can buy some pH test strips to see if that is the issue with Allie. I hope she makes it, as I have never seen such an abundance of large trichomes on the first few sets of leaves. I still wonder if she is a different strain that I just haven't seen before. Fascinating !

Wild! so this thread for strange pics or should I start a different one? :peace:

Please do add pics of strange looking seedlings you have!
And feel free to share your ideas as to what causes them.
It can only help us to learn more about growing these wonderful plants.

Well, Allie didn't make it, I guess she was just a weak seedling.
Becky is doing fine, after we fought off a fungus gnat attack.
Daisy, the strange looking bush plant is healthy and happy. I didn't have to top it at all, it just branched out everywhere on its own. Very sativa looking leaves too. No sign of preflowers yet. Here is Daisy at 8 weeks:
Daisy_8wks_002.jpg

Has anyone else seen a plant that looks like this?

Still never seen anything like that!

Hey, Fox! I just found this thread, and I have to say that I'm very curious as to how Daisy is doing? She's so unique, and if you are able to post a current picture that would be great! I hope Becky is doing well, too! Anyway, have a fantastic day, and stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom