Fragile Seedling or What do you feed your babies?

NACnCO

I'm trying to grow from seeds. I've got the germination part down. I have a high percentage of seeds that pop and turn into plants. Here's where it goes wrong. The stems grow tall and thin. The seedlings are very fragile and the young leaves teeter on top of a disproportionately long thin stem. The root system as well isn't developing as I hoped.

The seedlings are in coco peat under T-8 lighting at least 20 hours a day. I've been feeding them a watered down leftover nutrient water that I've been feeding the 3 week old plants(grown from cuttings). House and Garden line. I suspect the water is causing this effect.

What are you feeding your seedlings to get good roots and strong stems? :helpsmilie:

Additional info:
They're good seeds from a reputable source.

Re: "Fragile Seedlings" or "What do you feed your babies?"

do you have air movement like a fan? omm turned me on to this its called horms superthrive. seems like good stuff. have not killed anything yet ..as far as i know:) and that said omm has some mighty fine plants to show for it. its not a fertits a vitamin hormone therapy that you can add with nutes. so you dont want to add nutes that early in growth. but this seems to go well with new poppers:) try that and see if it helps:cheer: my outside garden wich is a veg garden seems happy with that but its real hard to screw up a tomato:love:

Hi Fish. I do have superthrive. It's good stuff. I'm including pictures of seedlings these just popped in the last 48 hours. I haven't had a chance to give these any nutes. Do these look normal? I feel they aren't growing correctly. Any ideas?

NACnCO

It looks like they are not getting enough light. You can transplant them deeper and blast them with light and they will be fine.

Buckshot nailed it:)

I think Buckshot gets the Ding Ding Ding on this one. I'm blasting 'em with light. I've also added a fan to give 'em a little movement. I'll transplant them into a little taller container. After awhile I'll update with some pics. Thanks for the advice. I get help here that I can't get anywhere else.

I had the same issue and had to move my light to within 1" of the plants. That slowed them down. They were stretching for all the light they could get.

They're looking much better now. Thanks for the input. I'd of never figured it out in time on my own.

DSC028282.JPG
DSC028272.JPG

your going to need a hay bailer when your done:) very nice:cheer:

They're looking much better now. Thanks for the input. I'd of never figured it out in time on my own.

Indeed they are looking better!!! Woohoo ... but now I am sure they are rootbound and you don't want that so it is time to transplant!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

PS you are in it now, you just have to keep up with them!! :peace:

I give... What I give my adult-babies :hmmmm: But I'm a poor pot-farmer. About a tablespoon molasses and kelp per half gallon :)

A good friend of mine swears SuperThrive is great for seedlings/cuttings... The one time finance and determination lined up for me to get it, and the store was out.

Seedlings look great to me, good job.

I use Superthrive, on cuttings and seedlings , I put a drop into the mix that I soak my rockwool or jiffy pellets along with rooting hormone I get peepers sometimes within 24 hrs, (Not all the time) but within 48hrs Iv got roots visible through the net.

Back
Top Bottom