Red stems on otherwise healthy ak-48

gonegoodbye

I have a ak-48 mother. It is a 6 week old clone i took from a seedling. I'm not sure when I started noticing the red stems, it might have been as early as when the cutting was in the cloner. The plant is and has always been healthy and vigorous. I've taken four cuttings from this mother and these also have red stems. I recently started to foliar feed with epsom salts twice a week. Mothers and rooted cuttings are well fed in organic soil using tap water (ph ~7), beneficial bacteria and a tiny amount of organic nutrients.

The only thing I can think of is that the mother is under slight stress. 6 weeks ago it was a branch on a seedling and I'm already taking cuttings from it.

I have not read anything in particular about AK-48 and red stems. Should I worry about this?

Maybe the seedling mom is a purple/red pheno? AK48 has numerous phenos, short, tall, cherry, purple.

did you happen to notice if the purple stems,started at the top,or the bottom of the plant??

IME,stress flows upward,purple stems,any purple at all on the stalk??any lines at all?? if the plants start to purple from the top down,ive found its lacking in the P family of nutrients,root zone so to speak

can you get a close up of a leaf?? how do the veins look? are they green or yellow??

Thanks you guys.

I have no idea where the purpleing started. The leaves and their veins are green.

Where can I read more about these ak-48 phenotypes? Please don't say druglib or seedfinder. Those sites are awful. Sure, packed with info, but in the worst possible structure imaginable.

Some pics:

IMG_20141115_211938772.jpg
IMG_20141115_212039321.jpg
IMG_20141115_211954944.jpg

can you get a close up of a leaf?? how do the veins look? are they green or yellow??

Some of the veins do look a little yellow, like the upper left one in the pic. What does that mean?

IMG_20141115_214133944.jpg

Mothers and rooted cuttings are well fed in organic soil using tap water (ph ~7), beneficial bacteria and a tiny amount of organic nutrients.

I'm starting to think a tiny amount is less than they need. The soil is probably spent by now. I'll start feeding them.

man that's a great looking plant,that container looks a little small,I wonder how the roots look??

It does have some stress,I can see the yellow vein running about halfway up,i can see purple in the (trunk)beside it.I can also see that the purple stem are heavier on top,so that would lead me to believe,it has a rootbound,or something missing in the phosphorus family??

Some of the veins do look a little yellow, like the upper left one in the pic. What does that mean?

I see that the tap water is ph 7,,what would be a runoff reading?? and it is soil with hydroton on top??

Thx C. I think the plant is a couple of weeks or more from being root bound. The container is a ~16oz, sprayed black but I can see through in some areas, and the roots have not begun circling. But I do believe you are right about the P. I haven't done a runoff reading. She is in soil with hydroton on top.

I'll ph, add nutrients and catch y'all in a couple of days.

I have a ak-48 mother. It is a 6 week old clone i took from a seedling. I'm not sure when I started noticing the red stems, it might have been as early as when the cutting was in the cloner. I have not read anything in particular about AK-48 and red stems. Should I worry about this?

I know exactly what this is. Been there and solved that already.
It is micronutrient deficiency.

Get some CalMag. Use it at half strength for one week, then full strength per label for another week. I bet the red stems will go away. Use it rarely from then on - like half strength every other week for one feeding. It's not expensive and it will last you a long time.

Will it hurt your plants? I've never had it get so bad that I could see any ill effects - but, I correct it anyway when I see it.

~Auggie~

It is micronutrient deficiency.

You are probably right. I am starting to see red stems on other veg plants as well so I don't think this is a pheno trait. I just fed with macro and micro. They get additional Mg from epsom salts and Ca from the tap water.

yes it is in the micro family,but what major is causing the deficiency,I bet you are aware of all of the relationships,but here is a couple of charts that show the relationships of each nutrient--what is lacking in one will lead to chain reactions.

I would still like to know what a runoff reading is.

mineralwheelsmall.jpg

mineral_interactiuon.png

Cal mag is cheap but it could be genetics for sure I have a strain (Dj short f18) and it's straight up purple all the way veg to finish but bud isn't. Genes can be very odd. It was probably a certain phenotype like a previous poster stated.

Back
Top Bottom