Thinking about growing autos

Canachris

I've never grown autos b4 but I'm thinking of trying a few gg#4 autos. Been doing my research and I think it's doable they may not like my caveman set up but it's worth a try, this 4-5 month grow cycle then drying an curing. But anyhoo I have a few questions, do autos stretch like a photo ? I'll have more questions as I think of them

I've never grown autos b4 but I'm thinking of trying a few gg#4 autos. Been doing my research and I think it's doable they may not like my caveman set up but it's worth a try, this 4-5 month grow cycle then drying an curing. But anyhoo I have a few questions, do autos stretch like a photo ? I'll have more questions as I think of them

Yes, they stretch about the same, but they are normally smaller/shorter when the stretch starts. The biggest issue with autos is getting them a good start, don't want to stunt them at the beginning, since their veg time is limited.

Got a chuckle out of this - I've done 5 auto grows and I'm thinking about a photo grow next!

Three of the grows I've done are Gorilla Glue and it's a great strain to grow. I've also done Gelato and, ATM, am finishing a grow of Strawberry Pie autos.

After being active daily on this forum for about two years as well as one that's dedicated to autos, it seems like most of them finish in < 100 days so your "4-5 month" cycle is a bit long. My grow setup is an outlier so my grows end up at 110 to 120 days. On the other hand, it seems like the only autos that hit the "10 weeks from seed to harvest" that seed vendors quote is autos that are grown in soil and in smaller containers.

"stretch like a photo" - there's no way to control how tall autos grow. It's "fire and forget" so you can't veg for three weeks before flip, for example, to control the height of the plant.

What grow medium will you be using and what's your lighting setup?

"I'll have more questions as I think of them" - you're in the right place!

I think you need to already be a good grower to grow autos well. Anything you do to stress them can cause them to stunt and there is no recovery time. So, any instance of improper watering, environmental or nute issues, really anything and you end up with smaller plants and therefore smaller harvests.

Got a chuckle out of this - I've done 5 auto grows and I'm thinking about a photo grow next!

Three of the grows I've done are Gorilla Glue and it's a great strain to grow. I've also done Gelato and, ATM, am finishing a grow of Strawberry Pie autos.

After being active daily on this forum for about two years as well as one that's dedicated to autos, it seems like most of them finish in < 100 days so your "4-5 month" cycle is a bit long. My grow setup is an outlier so my grows end up at 110 to 120 days. On the other hand, it seems like the only autos that hit the "10 weeks from seed to harvest" that seed vendors quote is autos that are grown in soil and in smaller containers.

"stretch like a photo" - there's no way to control how tall autos grow. It's "fire and forget" so you can't veg for three weeks before flip, for example, to control the height of the plant.

Sorry I was a bit high an kinda got off trac, I was saying 4-

Sorry, I mentioned 4-5 months for photo plants and so.e times longer. But if I could cut that down to 3 month with autos I'd like to give it a try. Thanks

I think you need to already be a good grower to grow autos well. Anything you do to stress them can cause them to stunt and there is no recovery time. So, any instance of improper watering, environmental or nute issues, really anything and you end up with smaller plants and therefore smaller harvests.
I've been growing cannabis since the early 80's... and I still don't consider myself a good grower. But I do manage to get from seed to paper. And at the right time of year I do pretty good. I have the knowledge just not the funding to have climate control, good lighting, and such

Right now nearing harvest of Seedsman Lemon auto fem and look to harvest sometime around new year. Started Oct 16, growing in hydro, lights on full 24/7. total 2 1/2 - 3 months from seed to finish.

PXL_20221219.jpg

That's quick. How many plants and what size buckets are you using?
Just one plant in a 36x36x72" tent, using 2 x 5 gal buckets, one for a reservoir (got tired of moving large plants for media change). Using Masterblend for nutrients. I have better yields using 24/7 lights on.
I get my seeds from Seedsman, and they are pretty accurate on their seed to harvest times in their descriptions.
As you can see, they fill the tent.

Just one plant in a 36x36x72" tent, using 2 x 5 gal buckets, one for a reservoir (got tired of moving large plants for media change). Using Masterblend for nutrients. I have better yields using 24/7 lights on.
I get my seeds from Seedsman, and they are pretty accurate on their seed to harvest times in their descriptions.
Very interesting info and a great looking plant. You're definitely "filling the tent with canopy".

Masterblend + 10 gallons of nutes per plant - I'm guessing that pH is pretty stable.

"I have better yields using 24/7 lights on." - you and that Bugbee guy… ;-)

"they are pretty accurate on their seed to harvest times in their descriptions." - good to hear. That's really quick turnaround.

Though I've never seen any research to confirm it, based on reading through grow journals plus my own limited experience, it seems pretty clear that container size drives plant size which, in turn, drives grow time. Bringing that issue into this thread, your 5 gallon grow container gets you good grow times and the 5 gallon bucket for the res + using a dry fert like Masterblend both help reduce pH swings.

Seeing that you're in hydro, this site might be of interest. This page, in particular, has helped me with maintaining my res.

Here's a little better shot of the tent setup. The 6 foot height can be problematic; you can see she's almost into the lights.

Tent setup.jpg
There it is - the "yellow top".

"6 foot height" - tent or plant? I'm assuming the former. Good plant shape - "compact" comes to mind but doesn't do it justice. LST + topping?

Seeing that you're a hydro grower, if you haven't run across this site, you might find it interesting/helpful. The page on managing a hydro res clarified the issue for me. My res holds 28 gallons of nutes, which is one of the reasons I started this thread.

There it is - the "yellow top".

"6 foot height" - tent or plant? I'm assuming the former. Good plant shape - "compact" comes to mind but doesn't do it justice. LST + topping?

Seeing that you're a hydro grower, if you haven't run across this site, you might find it interesting/helpful. The page on managing a hydro res clarified the issue for me. My res holds 28 gallons of nutes, which is one of the reasons I started this thread.
No, the 6 foot is the tent. The plant stands about 5 feet off the tent floor. I do top autos, but only once and early as possible since I have no control over when it flowers. I use stem benders and a net trellis to spread the plant.

With the reservoir, media changes are quick and simple. I do get pH swings every day during flower. I figure I have about 8 gal total media, and add almost 1/2 gallon of water per day during flower. I like to keep the pH around 6 to 6.2, but it'll swing up to 6.5 or 6.6 every day for most of flower. With the extra amount of nutes/media circulating by sump pump 24/7 I don't bother with checking EC. I change media weekly and keep an eye on the plant. Never had any problems.

I grow in a state where it's not legal, so I grow in a tent in a closet. If I can ever get rid of the tent, I'd like to try some sativas, but the height issue is always a problem. I have in the past tried twice and ended up in the lights. Even with aggressive LST and topping multiple times. I can't find anybody who makes a tent 3x3x8 ft, so I'm out of luck for now.

No, the 6 foot is the tent. The plant stands about 5 feet off the tent floor. I do top autos, but only once and early as possible since I have no control over when it flowers. I use stem benders and a net trellis to spread the plant.
Yup, a 6' tent is pretty low, especially with a plant that's approaching 4'. The good news, though, is that I'd bet you're going to get a great harvest.

Until I replace my res top (it's a molded plastic top), I'm loathe to drill holes in the top of the res so I've settled on using curtain clips and fishing weights.

With the reservoir, media changes are quick and simple. I do get pH swings every day during flower. I figure I have about 8 gal total media, and add almost 1/2 gallon of water per day during flower. I like to keep the pH around 6 to 6.2, but it'll swing up to 6.5 or 6.6 every day for most of flower. With the extra amount of nutes/media circulating by sump pump 24/7 I don't bother with checking EC. I change media weekly and keep an eye on the plant. Never had any problems.
pH 6+ and no issues? Interesting to hear. "optimal" is 5.8 but, as I read in one item on a site a la "Cannabis Business Times" or some such, the survey they did showed that commercial growers have a wide range of pH values for pH, along the lines of 5.5 to 6.5.

I grow in a state where it's not legal, so I grow in a tent in a closet. If I can ever get rid of the tent, I'd like to try some sativas, but the height issue is always a problem. I have in the past tried twice and ended up in the lights. Even with aggressive LST and topping multiple times. I can't find anybody who makes a tent 3x3x8 ft, so I'm out of luck for now.
Keeping it under the radar. Understood.

Gorilla grow tents come in a 3' x 3'. Mine's a 2' x 4' and it's served me well. I bought it in the summer of 2017 but it's been in constant use only since 2/2021. Gorilla was/is having all sorts of sales so you might be able to get a break on the price. Their tents are very well built and I really like the fact that there are two door flaps and I can unzip the "walls" completely.

I also read something the other day where a grower was complaining about light leaks because his tent didn't have a flap over the zippers. That's a standard feature in a Gorilla tent.

Just a thought.

I get between 5 and 7+ oz. per plant, depending on strain. No world records, but more than I generally need.

Part of the reason for the pH on the "higher" side, in flower it goes way up and I add pH down daily. Also my well water is higher pH. I don't like adding acids/bases to the media, so I let it run a bit high.

When I first wanted to try a tent (Odor control) a couple years ago I didn't want to sink a lot of money into it. I found a Maxsisun for $60 new. Figured I'd try it and either upgrade or go to plan b after a grow or 2. Now it's in its 3rd year and still going strong. No light leaks or zipper problems. I use it for growing and drying, so I'm in and out often. Surprised the heck out of me.

I liked that article on managing the res. Good info.

I'd like your opinion on something. I'm thinking of adding nutrient mixes instead of water for my daily top-offs. My issue is I'm concerned that I'd be adding all nutes, including some that may not be needed, and could cause lock out. What's your thoughts on it?

(Sorry for the tardy reply. I started the reply last night but had to harvest my grow of two Strawberry Pie autos. I got the plants chopped and bud washed and stalks are hanging in the garage, ready for a "moist trim" and into paper bags tomorrow. )

I get between 5 and 7+ oz. per plant, depending on strain. No world records, but more than I generally need.
That's called "success" to my way of thinking!

Part of the reason for the pH on the "higher" side, in flower it goes way up and I add pH down daily. Also my well water is higher pH. I don't like adding acids/bases to the media, so I let it run a bit high.
Problem solved.

When I first wanted to try a tent (Odor control) a couple years ago I didn't want to sink a lot of money into it. I found a Maxsisun for $60 new. Figured I'd try it and either upgrade or go to plan b after a grow or 2. Now it's in its 3rd year and still going strong. No light leaks or zipper problems. I use it for growing and drying, so I'm in and out often. Surprised the heck out of me.
Agreed. Three years of tent for $60 is a winner.

I liked that article on managing the res. Good info.
It was an eye opener for me.

I'd like your opinion on something. I'm thinking of adding nutrient mixes instead of water for my daily top-offs. My issue is I'm concerned that I'd be adding all nutes, including some that may not be needed, and could cause lock out. What's your thoughts on it?
That's a very valid concern and it's one that addressed in a very interesting paper by Dr. Bugbee. Snag a copy of this paper by Bugbee - "Nutrient Management in Recirculating Hydroponic Culture"

Some of the issues that he discusses don't seem pertinent for home/personal grower but there are quite a few nuggets and one of them is the point that you brought up — nutrients are taken up at different rates and refilling a reservoir with "full strength" nutes can cause a imbalance that can cause problems in the plant as well as nutrient lockouts.

In the paper, Bugbee talks about using a diluted version of Hoagland solution (25% IIRC) which lead me to think that maybe I could just use a diluted version of my Jack's 3-2-1 mixture. My sense is that if a grower were to take that approach, there is a not insignificant chance that, after some time, the solution will get out of whack and cause problems. From the paper, it does seem that using diluted Hoagland is an accepted practice so I suspect that they have the technology and/or experience to know when a res is going bad and to do a full replacement. That's an assumption on my part and I stopped thinking it through because I came up with an approach that I wanted to try that I think has worked out well.

Until the past couple of months, I had been using "diluted nutes" and didn't run into any issues but I changed that approach, for a handful of reasons, and switched to just using RO and tracking my "add backs". I made the change when this grow was in flower and ended up swapping the res about every 10 days. The trigger point for that was that PPM was getting into the 400's (having started in the 700's or 800's) and because the I had added back 20± gallons, so not a full 100% had been replaced.

I think it worked well for the plants, it didn't cause me an untoward amount of extra work, and I like it because by incorporating an industry standard approach it will, over the long term, tend to improve the quality of my grows.

Though it's a little "funky" you can make your tent taller by a foot or two (providing the floor is not attached to the tent) by putting it up on blocks, or adding more metal supports, and then wrapping dark, heavy denier (lightproof), fabric around the base, you'll need plenty of Velcro for attaching it, and you'll have to step over the addition to get in/out. I have an Apollo 6.5x6.5x7 tent and I wish it was 8 foot tall, it's about 5-6 years old, has been used almost constantly and is still in real good shape.

Back
Top Bottom