Haven't grown in years - want to ask about autos and why so many grow them now

TieGro

420 Member
hey all. as the title says i havent grown in 10+ years. last grow was dwc buckets that worked out pretty well.

but the main thing i am asking about is autos now. 10+ years ago when i was growing, lowryder just came out and there was mixed feelings about it. i grew a few and it was ok bud of course but was a cool little plant.

i see so many grows on the internet and lots of people grow autos. i can tell the genetics are much better then lowryder was, but are they that close to photos that its worth it to grow autos instead? or why do people pick autos over photos now?

i would think photos are a bit better buds, and you are running the lights for 12 hours per day instead of 18.

so why grow slightly worse bud, and spent more money on electric? i know autos will be done weeks sooner, so is that the reason?

or are autos so good now it doesnt really matter?

(i have many autos and photo seeds ready to go. currently building a 2.5m x 8m grow room. with be using co2. still debating doing rdwc, or a coco drip irrigation. i planned on doing all photos in there and having a few autos in the veg room so i always have bud kind of thing.)

Welcome to 420 Magazine @TieGro

If you look around the forum you will see a lot has changed.

but are they that close to photos that its worth it to grow autos instead? or why do people pick autos over photos now?
Auto's have come a long way in resent years, but why do growers grow them here's a couple reason: 1 some growers need a shorter flowering period when growing outside; some growers enjoy the idea of having very little involvement with the growing cycle from seed to harvest; some growers have a tough time growing photo's.

so why grow slightly worse bud, and spent more money on electric? i know autos will be done weeks sooner, so is that the reason?
This isn't necessary true; one of our members grows his auto's of 12/12 with excellent results.

or are autos so good now it doesnt really matter?
I can't really answer this I grow photo's.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Just my opinion, I grow both photos and autos. Buds on autos are just as tight and just as potent as photos. My last auto grow breeder said "70 days from seed to harvest", grow actually went over 110 days. Worth the extra time as I had a bumper crop. Genetics, lighting, grow environment, nutes / grow medium, will definitely make a difference on your final product. I alternate growing both... Photos are def more forgiving, if a auto stresses during its short veg period it has less time to recover as the clock is ticking, as flowering is going to start.

Welcome to 420 Magazine :passitleft:

it's mostly marketing. autos are sold on the basis of a perceived shorter growing period, and a supposed guaranteed flower for those that have no clue how to grow or can't change a light schedule.

we see a lot more autos now as there are insane amounts of new unexperienced growers. they get sold an empty bag of hope mostly.

while autos have gained in potency they'll never match what a photo can do simply because they can't. autos are created by breeding a non-thc producing ruderalis in to the line. from that point forward it wont' matter what you do, it will never match the same straight up cannabis breed, it can't get there genetically.

The reason many grow autos indoors is space, they grow low, wide, and quick. With photos you're much more likely to run out of height during stretch/flowering. I grow both, and over the years the THC/terpene levels in autos is nearly the same as photos.

I cannot speak for everyone..... But the main draw for me was the fact it's super difficult to Hermie them.... I had two photo grows herm..could have been multiple reasons... But it screwed me twice and since I've been growing autos haven't had to worry.

But yes supposedly quicker and just as potent.... They are fun to grow you just don't have a lot of time for mistakes.

The reason many grow autos indoors is space, they grow low, wide, and quick.

run a photo 12 / 12 from seed for the same result.

you can push an auto faster the same as well if you overlight and run 24/0. it's best to let get to 3 nodes at 18/6 prior to switching 24 / 0, but you don't have to.

With photos you're much more likely to run out of height during stretch/flowering.

but it lets you determine that with veg time. something that can't be done with an auto. i run photo hempys and rarely get above 4ft. i actually use shelving units as a floating floor to raise the plants, so we don't have to bend over to work on them.

my veg light is actually non movable, i use the shelving units to adjust it lol :p

I grow both, and over the years the THC/terpene levels in autos is nearly the same as photos.

but never quite as good. i grow both as well. more photos over all though to be fair. when we had the mmj grow we did a northern lights photo and an auto grow just to see.

well i wouldn't hate the auto version, the photos did do better in both potency and production.
what really blew us away was how well the autos actually did though. we thought they'd be a paper thin copy when they really turned out quite decent.

we got both genetics from the same source. i wouldn't consider it a rock solid scientific example.

i just finished an auto hempy grow. while the results weren't my best, the production level was over expectation, even for a comparable photo grow.

I cannot speak for everyone..... But the main draw for me was the fact it's super difficult to Hermie them

you really didn't see my last run then lol ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

you really didn't see my last run then lol ... :cheesygrinsmiley:
No did not.... Did you have a auto herm?....I've personally put them through hell and mess with the lights and have never had one go rogue...

No did not.... Did you have a auto herm?....

i had them go late on me. one was responsible. seeded the whole crew. it's really not that uncommon.

I've personally put them through hell and mess with the lights and have never had one go rogue...

that's really the norm for photos far more. stable photo genetics are always gonna be your go to touchstone.

even then you have to watch it. there are land races that have developed a strong hermie trait just through adaptation to environment and necessity. certain equatorial sativa and thai strains in particular are noted for it.

straight indica is less prone, though i can make them if i really try ... :p

i had them go late on me. one was responsible. seeded the whole crew. it's really not that uncommon.

that's really the norm for photos far more. stable photo genetics are always gonna be your go to touchstone.

even then you have to watch it. there are land races that have developed a strong hermie trait just through adaptation to environment and necessity. certain equatorial sativa and thai strains in particular are noted for it.

straight indica is less prone, though i can make them if i really try ... :p
So both photo grows I referred to came from unknown source.... So it could have been the seeds them selves.... But I did have them in a not so light sealed environment....so that could have been it to.

But was it stressed or genetic induced?

But thank you I will from now on keep an extra look out for anything weird.

So both photo grows I referred to came from unknown source.... So it could have been the seeds them selves.... But I did have them in a not so light sealed environment....so that could have been it to.

But was it stressed or genetic induced?

But thank you I will from now on keep an extra look out for anything weird.

well you hit on a lot of triggers so it's kinda throw a dart .. whatever you did .. i wouldn't.

run a photo 12 / 12 from seed for the same result.

thats how i have felt.

if time, height/space is an issue, run a photo 12/12 from seed. would also save electric instead of 18 hours of light per day.

i see another reply about outdoor autos. which i totally understand. i should have made the post specific about indoors as thats what i ment.
outdoors obviously autos are good for many people, so i wont go into why autos are a choice for many outdoors.

techinically you could run a photo on veg for 0-3 weeks, then switch to 12/12 and it will be finished in basically the same time as most autos. also saving 1/3 of the electric cost in those months.

(this is all not to mention you cant clone an auto, so you have to continuely buy seeds or try and make your own).

i see grows and can tell autos have come a long ways, but i just do not understand growing one indoors unless you are new to growing or just want an easy plant to grow and dont wanna learn proper marijuana growing techniques.

i am not hating on autos, i think they are cool and have come a long ways and are good for many people outdoors. i am not hating on anyone growing autos, i am just trying to understand the reasoning for most.

Jeremy from Build a soil was just testing that out on his yt channel. You should check it out.
Yes, I was just checking that out Season 3, episode 15. Comparing Autos under 12/12 and 18/6. The autos under 12/12 are actually taller with greater node spacing, while the autos under 18/6 are shorter with tighter node spacing.

It's like comparing a modern automatic to a manual sports car. Automatics have improved a lot in the last few years but they are close but can never completely match the performance and control you get from a manual. On the other hand if you don't actively pay attention and learn the correct way to drive a manual you will have less performance and possibly damage the car. More people are going auto because it is easier and almost guarantied results. Personally I prefer the control of manual.

Back
Top Bottom