To all the parents out there

Sneakylemon

I have a question, in the course of being a parent, did you ever stop smoking because it hindered you from raising your child?

I don't have any kids, in college and just curious.

Re: To all the parents out there.

Stopped for awhile when my son was born. Not because I thought it would be a hinderance in raising him. I didn't want to take ANY chance getting busted and the government either sending me away or taking him away. He is now close to graduating HS and I started back up a couple of years ago. It is not a get out of jail free card but, having a Colorado Red Card has made it much less worrisome.

If marijuana was legal I would not have stopped at all. There are bad parents who smoke and bad parents who do not, there are great parents who do smoke and great parents who do not, marijuana by itself will not change that fact.

If you are talking about cigs... no

WillyB

I have a question, in the course of being a parent, did you ever stop smoking because it hindered you from raising your child?

Hi,
Yes I quit smoking for about eight years.
My son asked me to stop, Because at school he was told it will kill you.
He was very frightened, so I quit.
If I could live life over, now I would quit when he was born.

:peace: cocoJoe

If you stop smoking because your kids want you too, thats great

If smoking weed hinders ANYONE from being a good parent, then they should DEFINITELY STOP... I find that kinda sad.

But you shouldnt let something as minor as marijuana mess up your ability to be a parent. If someone is letting it affect their parenting skills, they obviously werent prepared to handle a child sober, let alone high.

NO!!! I never felt that it was a hinderance...quite the contrary...it was the glue that held things together (many many times)

Some background...I have helped raise (unbelievable to me!) 4 kids that are now 18, 20, 22 and 26...and...in what I think was the grandest tradition of the 60s/70s...wanting to make a *difference*...we did the homeschool thing (I hold degrees in physics and math).

We never did it in front of them...and in fact, we didn't smoke around them at all (cigs or 420). My biggest hangup was I did not want to condone its use...if they came to it themselves that was ok...and in fact that is just what happened. Once during a visit, I happened to stumble upon my oldest daughter hiding for a few hits in the backyard. You can probably imagine the look on her face when she looked at me and asked if I was dissapointed with her...and my reply was only if you don't offer me some !!! The discussion we had sitting in that backyard that day was needless to say...*priceless*

I did stop when I started having kids. I guess it was really just a phase for me. I wanted to be an example for my kids and disciplining them to do the right thing won't happen when I don't become an example for them

I generally find that dealing with my kids (mostly the associated responsibilities- homework, getting all the ducks lined up for tomorrow, etc.) in an effective way is harder while stoned but if we're just chilling, it's fine and helps me relax and enjoy them for themselves.

In effect, most of the time I stop smoking because I have shit to do that doesn't work well while baked. Simple as that- be it kids, my job, or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom