To Fox Farm Ocean Forest or not to Fox Farm Ocean Forest

Fox Farm Ocean Forest it is then. I just ordered a bag (1.5 cu ft) from Walmart for $22.63 including shipping. Now I'll start saving up for a PH tester. With the pen type am I correct saying you need three different solutions on top of the cost of the tester itself?

Thanks guys for all the useful information with regard to the soil. Hopefully a 1.5 cu ft bag will be big enough to grow a few plants. I'll keep it in the basement, unopened until I manage to procure some seeds so it doesn't dry out on me.

I have quite a number of babies nearly ready to be transplanted into their forever homes. Another week for many and two weeks for the smaller ones. They are out in the sun (rare to see the last 2 weeks) full time now. Only brought in when we get one of our monsoon thunderstorms. I anticipate a very good yield again this year.

Oh Well............they are tomato and pepper plants. I have a photo on my computer but am not able to figure out how to include it here. :420:

Fox Farm Ocean Forest it is then. I just ordered a bag (1.5 cu ft) from Walmart for $22.63 including shipping. Now I'll start saving up for a PH tester. With the pen type am I correct saying you need three different solutions on top of the cost of the tester itself?

Thanks guys for all the useful information with regard to the soil. Hopefully a 1.5 cu ft bag will be big enough to grow a few plants. I'll keep it in the basement, unopened until I manage to procure some seeds so it doesn't dry out on me.

As in solutions to Calibrate it?

I use white Vinegar as a calibration medium. It's PH is at 2.4, so its easy to keep your PH Tester in line with the White Vinegar. The TDC im not sure needs any calibration, dont think Mine does. Ive never needed to Calibrate my PH Meter and its just a cheap $19.99 one

One 1.5cf Bag does a few 3gal Pots, or like 2 5gal... How many plants you growing? Also did ya get any Perlite, that helps with drainage and will spread yer FFOF a little farther also

Good Luck Bud

As in solutions to Calibrate it?

I use white Vinegar as a calibration medium. It's PH is at 2.4, so its easy to keep your PH Tester in line with the White Vinegar. The TDC im not sure needs any calibration, dont think Mine does. Ive never needed to Calibrate my PH Meter and its just a cheap $19.99 one

One 1.5cf Bag does a few 3gal Pots, or like 2 5gal... How many plants you growing? Also did ya get any Perlite, that helps with drainage and will spread yer FFOF a little farther also

Good Luck Bud

My understanding is that you need a solution to calibrate the tester. A solution to clean it, and finally a solution to store it.

I will pick up perlite when I pick up the FFOF at Walmart.

The tester I recommended comes with calibration and cleaning solution. You'll hafta get som storage fluid. Its relatively cheap. FFOF will buffer your nute solution to about 6.1-6.3

Can you please explain with that means "FFOF will buffer your nute solution to about 6.1-6.3 " in English to a non grower? LOL

FFOF is mixed with natural buffers to keep pH in the 6.3-6.8 pH range per their website. Per my experience with their soil it keeps it in the 6.1-6.3 range. Better? LoL!

So in that case would you want to add a little PH up to get the soil up to 6.5? Is there much of a performance different in plant growth if the soil is say just over 6.0 or on the other end just under 7.0? Say 6.2 and 6.8 for example. Will there be much difference in plant growth then if it was spot on at 6.5?

Ill add my Thoughts

Ive never had to adjust my PH with FFOF in 9 weeks of growing. I use Water from one of the Dispensers at the local Supermarket. My Water is right at 6.2PH, and never an Issue Yet

I usualy test, if I do test, the runnoff water PH, but I hear u can take some of the Dirt, mix with water, to test the SOil.. but never done that

Others may chime in But assuming yer Water is PH'd good, ya shouldnt need to adjust it to any Perfect PH level as far as the soil is concerned

I aim for a range not a specific pH. Like in veg I keep my pH on the lower end of 6 pH and in bloom I keep it at the higher end.
Uptake of nutrients by cannabis happen at different levels of pH. Plants will absorb different nutrients in different amounts at different plH levels.
N is more readily available to your plant at lower pH values and P is more readily available at higher pH values.
You can do a slurry test, take a little bit of your water and a little bit of soil and mix it together and you can test that or you can test run off. Both will give you an accurate enough reading.

I aim for a range not a specific pH. Like in veg I keep my pH on the lower end of 6 pH and in bloom I keep it at the higher end.
Uptake of nutrients by cannabis happen at different levels of pH. Plants will absorb different nutrients in different amounts at different plH levels.
N is more readily available to your plant at lower pH values and P is more readily available at higher pH values.
You can do a slurry test, take a little bit of your water and a little bit of soil and mix it together and you can test that or you can test run on both will give you a semi-accurate reading pH.

So.. If my Tap water is about 7ph should I use that durring Flowering? Or a mix of the two around 6.8 ish

Ive played with Tap Water and RO water.. and about a 50/50 split gets me around 7 PH

?????

420-magazine-mobile933138375.jpg

I'll refer you to the chart to verify what I said about pH levels and the amounts and what nutrients are available.
Its your grow and your decision to make but in my personal experience I've seen results doing this and many experienced growers will tell you the same.
I would go lower than 7pH. Cannabis has more trouble dealing with alkalinity than acidity. If your tap water comes out like that try adding 3-5mL distilled white vinegar per gallon if you dont have pH down.

No prob Stav, I use Armor SI to raise pH and Vinegar to lower it. Fuck the garbage in the up and down solutions. If you were to use one use an organic one like Nectar for the Gods offer, Olympus Up.
NfG is gonna be my next nute line. They'll send you a starter pack that includes Olympus and 6 or 7 other bottles for $28 if you're stateside.

Back
Top Bottom